North Cyprus Tourist Board - Making a Complaint to Ofcom about the Inside Out programme
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Making a Complaint to Ofcom about the Inside Out programme

Making a Complaint to Ofcom about the Inside Out programme

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Hi there all

i thought i would start a new subject on making a complaint to ofcom about the inside out programme aired on the bbc the straight up propaganda against turkish cyprus and trying to scare people in to not buying in north cyprus

even if you did not watch this programme make a complaint just look at the end posts on the inside out subject some pissed off people

link below

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/

and the bbc complaints dept

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/make_complaint_step1.shtml

dy1259

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

When you do (complain) can you tell us, please?

Bradus

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 01:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Have complained and asked them when they will be giving the TC's the opportunity to share their experiences and response to this programme. Asked them if they would like to look at the building of Larnaca Airport on TC land and interview the people who lost their homes as a result of this. Reiterated that it was biased and one sided.

panhandler

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 01:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk

The program was completely biased, I agree totally

So much so i nearly got the hanky out and wept

Regards

Panhandler

grahamlil

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk,

grahamlil

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk,

really must get my typing up to speed hit the wrong key again.

I have complained using your link totaly biased one sided and unfair

Milou

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

UKTurk

Can you tell me when this was aired so that I find something to read to be able to complain.

Regards

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

hi milou

it was aired last night on bbc but it will be repeated on their website link below

provided by martin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/west/ then click on the icon watch latest edition, the only thing thou we have to wait till they post last nights edition on their because at the moment it has last weeks programme on their hopefully they will have it on their soon

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk

I have just complained to the BBC about this biased & unreasonable journalism. When I get a reply I will let the board know of its outcome.

P of P & J

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

hi wicks

well done why dont you complain to ofcom aswell they hold more weight everybody complained to them about all these phone in scams and look what they managed

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk

Have done

P & J

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

thanks wicks

truffles808

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Done. Spat my dummy out with the BBC, what a great way to release your stress! Back to work! Jo

dylansgranny

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Have put in my two pennyworth but will it get anywhere?

dy1259

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

If enough people complain OFCOM have to investigate as far as I'm aware.

dodger

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

another complaint (two pages) registered.

simbas

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

just excessed this post sorry i'm not very bright in the morning in fact i' not very bright for most of the day anyhow i have posted my official complaint and have requested a response when i get it i will post it for all to see

have a good day simbas

simbas

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

dylansgranny have faith if we bombard the bbc continuously with comments { they will get sick of our voices before we will } about the tc right to reply they might just give in and produce a programme in response. do you think ?? i had better not hold my breath ,just a thought really.

regards simbas

breezyboy

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Hi ukturk

please could you spare a moment to reply to my last mesage on tree planting. I know that your knowledge can help us with this one

Regards

Breezyboy

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

hi breezyboy

i will take a look now but have to confess dont know much on tree planting

but will help as much as i can!!!!

dy1259

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

bump it up

dy1259

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Just received this standard reply from Andrew Head:

Thank you for your email and taking the time to write.

I'm sorry you thought our programme was biased but our real intention in the piece was not to examine the rights and wrongs of Cypriot history - which have limited local relevance to our region, BBC South - but rather to highlight a company we believed was selling property in our area without fully informing customers of the risks.

The Company, Seaterra, is selling properties in North Cyprus and therefore, it was North Cyprus that was the natural focus of our story. However, our programme did not criticise the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus or Turkish Cypriots. We were simply examining the sales techniques used by Seaterra. The balance in the programme therefore came from Seaterra and not the TRNC. We provided Seaterra with details of all the allegations made in our programme and included a fair and accurate summary of the company's response.

The programme did contain the views of several Greek Cypriots who had lost land around Esentepe. Once again, however, their complaints were about the way that Seaterra was marketing the land at Esentepe. The appropriate balance was therefore provided by the company's statement.

We provided some brief historical context to explain why the land around Esentepe is disputed. I believe our explanation was fair and balanced. We stated that a Greek inspired coup had prompted an invasion by Turkey, and we pointed out that both Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots had been displaced from their homes. Our piece happened to be about the Greek Cypriots, because it was their land that was being sold by Seaterra in the Thames Valley. I am not aware of any Turkish Cypriot land being missold at the moment by companies in the south of England. If you know of any, then I would be pleased to investigate, although I should point out that it would be a story in its own right rather than an attempt to balance last night's programme.

In conclusion, I hope you can appreciate that this was never intended to be the definitive film on the divisions and politics of Cyprus. Our aim was simply to highlight the way that a local company was selling property without fairly explaining the full situation to potential customers.

Best wishes

Andrew Head

My reply (remember I was still seething!!!)

Dear Mr Head,

IT WAS OBVIOUSLY GREEK CYPRIOT PROPAGANDA. Whatever excuse you put forward it was out and out Greek Cypriot propaganda. You showed a Greek Cypriot women say that NONE of the land in Esentepe was ever owned by Turkish Cypriots, this is a LIE. You showed t-shirts being worn depicting North Cyprus with blood on it, thereby showing the Turkish Cypriots to be 'murderers'. You did not show any proof other than lies from the Greek Cypriots that the land being sold ever belonged to Greek Cypriots. You also failed to mention the fact that the land that might have been Greek Cypriot was in exchange for TURKISH CYPRIOT land STOLEN on the Greek side. You were BIASED against the Turkish Cypriots. You showed a programme that helped Greek Cypriots with their propaganda-you supported it.

I hope OFCOM investigate this and HEADS roll.

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

hi donna

no point in getting angry (i know it is hard to say that) you of all people know what all these media companies are capable of at least you got a response my letter was so blunt and direct whoever read it must of had a bit of a shock!!!!

i did say even thou the bbc has a complaints section when they get complaints of this sort they just say thank you but we feel we have provided a fair and accurate story BULLSHİT İ SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry for the curse)

like i said the best way forward with this is via ofcom at least they investigate and are not biased towards a company that first rips people off with tv licence fees just to show pure garbage thats why i dont watch bbc for any documentries because they are well known to just broadcast one sided views i blame all the board members of the bbc old enuf to be in a muesuem!!!

had my say

so lets just keep on with ofcom and like you said heads will bounce!!!!!

dy1259

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Hi Erkan,

I have contacted OFCOM. Let's hope sufficient numbers have, for them to investigate.

truffles808

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

ofcom - they will think im illiterate - maybe right!!!

Tis programme was not really about the dangers about buying abroad, but properganda for greek cypriots. It came across very biased and as a british citizen i am appalled that our representives [BBC - BRITSIH Broadcasting Company] could be so naive to begin to think it was warning people of pitfalls fo buying in TRNC. Why not SPain, I lived there for many years and there are more pitfalls and corruption there where builders have build on land that does not solely belong to them. So if they were not being biased, why not have views of turkish cypriots, land that has been built on by greek cyrpiots. I feel this was a very silly broadcast in a country which is very sensitive and volatile. Again, it came across as greek cypriot propaganda which ever way you look at it. there should be an offical appology to the turkish cypriots for the lies and dirtying their name in england.

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

ukturk

Recieved my reply from BBC. Their point was not a dig at Turkish Cypriots or the TRNC, but at the way the property was marketed. I, in reply, have told them to visit any property exhibition in the UK selling property in south Cyprus and they will see the same marketing policy.

(So who is going to organise the coach parties to go & picket these exhibitions.)

P & J

McSteviet

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Just tried to view the show using the link above, but the BBC website has been updated and the show looks as though it's not available anymore, unless anyone knows the specific path to view.

MC

dy1259

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

The wicks-Very good point. Hopefully between us all, we have raised all the valid points/issues in answer to the BBC and as complaints to OFCOM.

ukturk

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

hi guys

you see wicks the bbc are full of bullsh.t!!!!! if they was only broadcasting on the pitfalls and the hard sales techniques of the housing sector in north cyprus

WHY go in to the history of cyprus? WHY interview greek cypriots on how they lost land? WHY have old greek women lying blatantly about esentepe not ever having turks living there? WHY have people walking around on camera with badges and t-shirts with the map of cyprus with the turkish side with blood driping all over cyprus? WHY only interview greeks that are not even living in cyprus but in london?

Ok if the bbc were investigating about dodgy builders and agents and hard pushey sales ways of these people and how a few people have been ripped off but also with good stories of people buying in the north and also went in to the background on the deeds situation explaining pre 74 and exchange deeds i would not have any objection to it and dont think any one on this forum would complain.

so like you said wicks the bbc said it was only broadcasting on the way properties were being marketed lets ask them WHY include all the bullshit they actually broadcasted do they think we just watch these programmes and dont take any of it in!!!!!!!!!

like what i said complaing to the bbc is a waste of time cos they just brush it under the carpet like what they do all the time thank god i dont pay any money any more to the bbc to watch their rubbish, eastenders has more truths in it than their documentries!!!!!!

lovelife

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 14:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

One thing that struck me about the programme, that the GC's complete with OTT 'T' shirt were all elderly, no young ones then? or were they at work or are they simply not bothered?

The GC/Brighton chip shop owner who 'recognizes' Esentepe, did her family go to the South, did they receive land in exchange or move into land previously occupied by a TC? or did they simply leave the island as I am sure many did (TC as well) and leave their property/land behind?

I am sure you, ukturk can help with this.

ukturk

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

hi lovelife

after the land was split the greeks who already did not live in the south moved to the south and was given land and property what originally was owned by the turks as compensation and this is the same case for the turks they were given land and property which belonged to the greeks but quite a lot of cypriots turk/greeks were too proud and in some cases to stubborn to accept property what was owned by the other side so what a lot of turks/greeks did was flee to the u.k this was done becuase cyprus was under british rule for many years most of these cypriots had british passports so they were considered british citizens like many other countries that the british TRIED to rule i.e pakistan-india-hong kong- some african countries and the list goes on

to get a bit of a better picture read my new subject post

The Aftermath of the Turkish Intervention 1974-77 very informative have a read and tell what you think!!!!!

hope this info helps

breezyboy

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Just had a letter back from Ofcom.

Washed their hands of the matter, nothing to do with us. See the BBC!!!

Susie

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Does anyone know what SeaTerra's response to the programme has been?

dy1259

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

I had a letter from OFCOM stating it's not within their remit. You have to choose your words so carefully!! So I phoned them and said how I found the programme offensive and unfair (which is within their remit). So they have to look at it again. I'll let you know what they come back with, if anything.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.