North Cyprus Tourist Board - speed fine in north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > speed fine in north cyprus

speed fine in north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

MIKE2nd

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

HI everyone i have just joined forum but have followed for years moving out next year.If anyone can advise.coming back over border to the south in august was told i have a speeding fine from 2007 i asked why not informed before as i come over 4 times a year she told me it had only registed on computer but must pay in 48hours.I arranged for a friend to go to police station next day with my passport number.he was told they would only let me pay.as not back till end of year will i be ok.mike

elko2

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Mike,

You have a ticket for speeding and they could not find you to serve it on you. So when you enter TRNC you will be told to go to the relevant police station and "pay" it. You do not really have to pay it but that is a long story. My advise to you is to go to the police station, sign the paper that you admit to be guilty, pay the fine and earn points for your driving licence. Nobody else can plead "guilty" on your behalf, hence your friend could not pay for you.

ismet

fosterscan

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

'Earn points on your licence 'what happens if you dont take your licence with you this time ?

wanderer

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Its a TRNC imaginary licence so it does not effect your UK licence

lilyross

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 07:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

how long do the points last on the licence ?and do they affect the car insurance and tax when renewed ?

just wondering !

Agobard

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 07:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Too late for you to do this now but you can pay speeding fines at the border - well, certainly at Metehan. They're not very enthusiastic about taking the money there but they will if pressed.

Groucho

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 07:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Agobard, that all sounds most irregular, do they issue you with an official receipt? Do they take your licence details?

Agobard

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Message 7: yes, they do indeed issue a receipt. The cops who stopped me for speeding told me that I could pay at the border. They didn't take ask for my licence at the border possibly because I was driving on a UK licence at the time and the details of this licence were all written down on the speeding ticket. Don't know what would have happened any differently had it been a TRNC licence.

MIKE2nd

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

ISMET

Thanks for advice i did read a while ago you did not have to pay.if you have time please could you explain your reasons as i would be interested in the laws regarding this issue.MIKE

elko2

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Mike,

If you let them serve you the ticket and you don't pay, next they will issue a court summons and serve it on you. If they can't find you, next time you are spotted they may "detain" you and make sure it is served on you. then when the time comes if you do not appear in court (normally you don't have to with such traffic offences), then the judge will judge on a fine and next time they "catch" you you will have to pay or go to prison.

In my case I don't pay but I am able to defend myself in court and "give them a hard time". Of course that entails numerous appearences in court. Recently an attorney complained to the judge: "Many people like to go to a coffee shop but Mr. Ismet enjoys coming to court"

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.