North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice - Pool Pump Room?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice - Pool Pump Room?

Advice - Pool Pump Room?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

Melanie14

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Can anyone kindly advise me please on a problem that I have.

My pool pump room often has water in the bottom, but there is no leak from the pool. We think that from time to time the water overflows from the balance tank.

At this moment we have no overflow pipe from the balance tank. Does anyone know if the installation of an overflow pipe would resolve this problem, is it common practise out here? We do not live here and are just learning!!!!

Thank you for your advise. Pete

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 14:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Are you filling your balance tank from the mains water supply?

Quarmby

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Melanie14

I am assuming your balance tank is adjacent to your pool room so I would highly recommend you get an overflow fitted asap. Don't get drawn in to message 2

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

It would be best to get the gap between the pump room and the balance tank sealed.

If you fit an overflow, and a valve gets stuck, the water can flow out from from the pool via the pipework to your balance tank, which will then overflow and waste your water, i.e your pool will empty out to the level of the balance tank overflow which can be many tons of water

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

msg 1

Swimming pool balance tanks should always have an high-level overflow, where possible. Also fit two non-return valves,one in the balance tank outlet and one between the filter and the inlet isolating valve.

Contact me on vaughan@sunnycyprus.net if you want this work carried out.

crofter

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Very hard to seal the gap between the tank wall and the roof, much better to get the overflow fitted this will definitely save your pump from a being replaced/rewound and possibly save your electrics.

harita

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

When it rains for any length of time, the balance tank will soon fill up ..

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Thank you Mark

Hence my question posed in message 2. If you get your pool filled by tanker then the problem should not arise and if it does then there is another problem.

Quarmby it was a simple question to try and work out what the operating conditions are. The other reason I asked was because I had to sort out a problem for a neighbor of mine that was filling up from the mains supply and ended up with a 1500Tl water bill because the ballcock had stuck open in the balance tank and because she did have an overflow when the mains water was on (at night time) it appears as though she was watering her garden and everyone else into the bargain.

I was just trying to help but why I bother on here beats me.

colly

Message Posted:
22/09/2011 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

When you see water on the floor have you checked the level in the balance tank? If it is overflowing then it is being either overfilled by what ever means you are filling it or as Vaughn suggests it is back filling from the pool because of water passing the non return. We have 2 non returns fitted and back in August both got stuck open at the same time! I now periodically check the valves and have the pool on recirculation when we are not there.

Remember if you get the tanker to fill the tank whilst overflow is running then the balance tank will overflow when the pump stops, even more so if people are swimming or jumping in!

straitasadie

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

i had a very similar problem. the water was coming in through broken conduit pipes when it rained heavy.

Melanie14

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Thank you everyone. You live and learn!!!!

JohnWG

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Melanie,

I have a balance tank overflow and two check valves but the balance tank suction line check valve was continually being blocked with leaves etc from the foliage we have near our pool. Despite using basket traps I was having to open and clean the check valve at least once a week to prevent water running back to the balance tank and draining to waste.

I was recommended to replace the check valve with a butterfly valve. It has been installed for 2 years now and I have never had to touch it. The flapper action prevents debris being trapped stopping the valve from seating. It is beautifully engineered and so effective we now inport the butterfly valves and have in our product range. At £40 ( including KDV and the cost of importation) not as cheap as the simple check valve but much less than the cost of damage to pump motor and equipment by water flooding pump well.

Available from stock in Kibris. email for brochure

JohnWG, Heatsaver KK Ltd JohnWG@heatsaver-istanbul.com.tr

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

or simpler still just get your balance tank sealed....

colly

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

When you say butterfly valve John is it a swing check valve? Butterfly valves normally require manual turning to control. Also is it in plastic form? I was thinking of bringing one over from the UK but do not know if available in the same size as my pipe work.

JohnWG

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 07:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Colly,

Yes swing or flapper check valve describes the valve very well. People use different terminology and our brochure just refers to "Flow Check Valve". As with all components it is the detailed engineering that makes them effective. The materials, spring mechanism, fllaper seal and shape to ease flow particularly features of this valve. To see the detail for yourself email me and I will send you our small brochure. Or better still we can arrange to show you one.

We have only 63mm in stock here as customers with smaller 50mm pipe work can use reducers that are readily available in Kibris. I felt the larger size would also facilitate clearance of any material.

JohnWG Heasaver KK Ltd

JohnWG@heatsaver-istanbul.com.tr

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.