North Cyprus Tourist Board - Agios Dometios / Metehan Crossing CAR INSURANCE
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Agios Dometios / Metehan Crossing CAR INSURANCE

Agios Dometios / Metehan Crossing CAR INSURANCE

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

» Book Dome Hotel

» Dome Hotel Website

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Well, it's too late now for help but does anyone know the car insurance booths opening and closing times?

My mother and partner landed in Larnaca Fris around 10.30pm got to crossing to find 'it' closed from 10pm until 8.00am. I'm guessing the text means the insurance booth.

Is this a one off?

Really upset for them as we planned (obviously not well enough) for hic cups etc so they would feel happy enough to travel out there alone in the future.

There wasn't a problem with the whole crossing point was there?

Groucho

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

As you and they have discoverd, the insurance booths are not 24/7 you should have been aware of this, hired a TRNC pick-up from LCA and got them a hire car over in the north.

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

Why Groucho?

Why should I know that the booths are not 24/7?

Why should I have hired a care TRNC pick up?

Why couldn't you have simply answered my question instead of being so obnoxious?

or better still, WHY couldn't you have kept your useless opinions to yourself?

Why? Why? Why are you such a sad individual? OR is it simply a case of trying to live up to your 'name'?

If anyone IS interested, I have since discovered that the crossing insurance booth was closed because the official went on holiday and cover wasn't organised.

MoonageDaydre

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 02:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Groucho - you should not assume people want to travel in this way. Some people would rather pick up a hire car in the South, they can buy insurance at the Green Line and see as much of the island as they like.

With a North Cyprus Hire Car you can't travel South can you? So if you want a day out in Limassol or Larnaca you can't - you have to stick to one side of the line.

Cyprus is a beautiful island, and some people do want to see sites in both the north and the south

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 07:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

Dreamydiver, "Why should I know that the booths are not 24/7? " Because you need ot amke it your business to know... The story that the booth was not manned due to holidays seems odd as it is often not manned at night. My point was... as they were arriving at 10:30 and the insurance booths are not 24/7 (it's been discussed here often enough) at Metehan or Pyla it would be necessary to either book a night's accommodation in the south and travel north during office hours or do as I said. No need to get your knickers in a twist!

I'm not assuming anything but doing a little homework might have prevented the issue...

MoonageDaydre.. There are companies in the north whose vehicles can be taken south. So your point is not correct.

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

A little HW might have prevented this? If the official decides to shut 'shop' early I fail to see how I could have been aware of that.

Regrettably - as your first message shows- questions are often asked only to receive replies that don't actually address the Q ( or if they do, it can be wrong). The forum discussions I had looked at mention the booths being open around 6am ( wouldn't apply to my query) couldn't find and relating to CLOSING times.

You didn't have an answer to my Q and under the circumstance I doubt if many would have.

From MY personal experience ( isn't that good enough HW?) I have travelled across using the insurance booth around midnight thru to approx 1:30am ( Dec and Aug arrivals respectively).

As for my knickers, they're not in a twist as my forum resolution is now to ignore people who are unable to address questions posted....

MoonageDaydre I totally agree with you, the whole of Cyprus is beautiful!

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

"I had looked at mention the booths being open around 6am "

Then it goes to prove that they must close.....

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

Well bang goes ( no, merely a slip!) to my resolution Groucho and apologies if my reply failed to be clear enough for your pedantic nature!

The fact people have confirmed the booth is OPEN as they pass thru does not prove that they CLOSE! If you had specific open / close times ( and knew how to predict unexpected changes ie someone closing the booth early) WHY WHY didn't you share that information instead of 'contributing' after the horse has bolted?

Foolish grumpy and a man? Gosh of course, I can see why you selected that name - oh so appropriate!

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

You simply don't get it that if they have a 6 am opening time then it seems axiomatic that they have a closing time... ergo they are not open 24/7 normally or otherwise, if you don't get it there is little hope.

You have chosen to be rude - more than once here and yet I'm the grumpy one... go figure.

I didn't select the name... it was my nickname at school for reason other than those to which you allude... but I can quite easily see why you've called yourself Dreamydiver...

Brinsley

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 9

Great school allowing you to smoke cigars!!

Richard

tomsteel

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

A simple solution if using southern-based car hire is to establish if the company will allow north travel. If they do, and many will, ask them to get the insurance for the north. They charge around €35 for a month, so they are making some profit but if you arrive late at either Larnaca or Paphos, you have peace of mind knowing you do not have to wory about insurance booth opening times. Hope this helps and does not start another 'slanging match'.

MoonageDaydre

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Perhaps it might help if someone who knows could post the usual opening and closing times for the insurance offices at the following crossings:

Metehan

Beyermudu (Pyla)

Ayios Nikolaos base

I know the crossing itself at Zodhia in the west is not 24 hours, all the others seem to be.

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

MoonageDaydre

I wish it were so simple as you say in message 12....but that would require posters READING the question listed and asking themselves CAN they provide a USEFUL answer LOL!

Should I ever find out the opening / closing times (if they do actually close!) I'll make sure you get to hear too ....thanks for understanding and being helpful.... traits whaich becoming somewhat rare on the forum :(

the butler

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Unfortunately you cannot rely on anything here. We were told we could buy insurance at the Pyla crossing during daylight hours. On the 6th August we arrived at the Pyla crossing at 2pm in the afternoon, to discover the insurance man had gone on holiday with no replacement. My husband was taking me to Larnaca airport and to turn around and go through Metehan would have meant I would have missed my flight.

the butlers wife

tomsteel

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Msg 14. Because there is no crossing point in Pyla. At Beyarmudu there is a lady and a man, both speak excellent English, accept €s or TLs. I will attempt to get their telephone number and working hours and post them on C44.

lucienne

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Ribeya TC. 05428743961 or GC. 0035799355438. If you ring in advance, she will be available. We have phoned the day before and explained that we will be arriving late at night and it has never been a problem!

tomsteel

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Beyermadu Insurance Details are:

His name is Ahmet Yalınca

Mobile phone 05338530095

Open at 8.30 and they work until 20.00 hrs everyday both summer and winter.

Advise a call before travel to ensure somebody is available to issue the cover.

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

tomsteel and Luicenne - thank you for your helpful and informative advice.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.