North Cyprus Tourist Board - PLEASE Take A Look At This Picture
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > PLEASE Take A Look At This Picture

PLEASE Take A Look At This Picture

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Photo Gallery

» Kyrenia Pictures

maggymay

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 15:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

Does anyone recognise this dog it has been around our property for the last 2 days we are up near Santoria Village Alsancak.

Maggymay

http://postimage.org/image/11mykvm04/

http://postimage.org/image/11mykvm04/

nurseawful

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

It looks like Sunny who's owners went back to the UK recently from Lapta!

Chris

p.s. Can't find the link with Sunnys pic on it.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/70375.asp

Chris

paddywack

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

If it is Sunny the new home did not last long.

britvic

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

If it is Sunny, maybe the family that took her in are looking for her, this post was on the original thread, could someone phone the vet, she seems to know the family.

"A BIG thank you to prof.Dr.huriya Kaya the vets with the donkey out side

across the road from st.tropaz

sunny has a new turkish family with two children to play with

Huriya is the vet who gave sunny her first hair cut and also brought all her injections uptodate

a poster was handed in by jean saying sunny was looking for a new home and the family said they would take her.

the contact for the vet should anyone need it for themselves is

0392 821 1143 or 0533 839 9777"

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Second I looked at the picture, it reminded me of Sunny - oh no - does anyone know who took Sunny? Can they contact them? Certainly has her face...

moxie

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

thats awful if it is her....poor dog, A young Turkish family, where she will be loved ???? this dog must be so stressed !!

maggymay

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know Sonny has now been re-united with her Cypriot family. Thanks for all your help, a happy ending.

Maggymay

lilyross

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

I am so pleased that its ended well for sonny ...forum 44 at its best x

dizzycows

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 21:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

Great to have a happy ending on here for once.... Sunny looks a real sweetie ....

It has become a depressing forum,....... lets have some more happy posts if any one has any ..

paddywack

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

I think the coin is still in the air on this one.

Tango1

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

Obviously the new family are not taking much care of her if she is allowed to wander off like that, I go down that Santoria Road, 2 sometimes 3 times a day, and it's not a road for a young dog to wandering on. Very narrow in parts and people drive like maniacs. I'll keep an eye out to see if she is allowed to stray off again in the future. Hopefully she's not wandering off because she's unhappy.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
23/09/2011 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Be fair! Sunny is probably feeling very unsettled and may be looking for her previous family. I know from bitter experience how difficult a traumatised dog can be to cope with. Perhaps someone nearby with experience of dogs could offer to help her new family with retraining.

Happy ending Dizzy. ?

Sandy (now renamed Mandy) the daschund puppy I adopted from "Redhead" is very pleased with her new home and settling well. She cost a fortune in chewed items and actually wasnt housetrained, but she is a clever, happy natured, little dog and learns quickly. She is getting the idea of "sit" "come" and "stay" , and is practising walking on the lead and catching and returning a ball. The older bitch is a bit jealous but Mandy is learning not to tease her, and Mandy loves her adopted brother Spaniel and follows him about. I have some pics if you would like to see them, but I dont know how to post them. Can anyone help?

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 04:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Oh phew - cos when I saw the picture of Sunny first time around, I would have (if I had been on the Island) broken my rule and taken her - as someone says, she will clearly be emotionally disturbed to the point; however much she is loved, will do all she can to get away and find her original family...it is why I think re-homing any dog is putting hope over experience and truly euthanasia is the right answer...

Tango1

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

As I said earlier, I'll check out when I go up and down the Santoria Road, which is dangerous, narrow with blind corners. Unfortunately the people concerned may not understand the trauma Sunny has suffered and if they have two excitable children, she may be finding it all too much?

maggymay

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Hi the family seemed pleased to have her back the father made a fuss of sunny and she looked very happy tail wagging the children were not young I would say about 14 they are doing work on their property and I think the gate was left open so sunny went for a walk. I hope like everyone they keep a closer eye on her and their gate.

paddywack

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

Still not convinced.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

Oh, how much easier it is to by cynical and criticise others, than cope with the problem onself!

There has hardly been time for the dog to settle in her new home and which of us with dogs hasnt had one go walkabout because of a gate carelessly left open. Dogs dont necessarily stray because they are unhappy they are just curious and usually return if they can - this one probably didnt have time to recognise the landmarks to her new home.

Easy to criticize the Cypriots but they took her on - didnt notice any Brits volunteering. If you are worried aboutthe dogs welfare, offer to give a hand training and exercising her - but TACTFULLY.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

To criticize and knock is a sport on here !

moxie

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

TURK ...... Dog!!!! no explanation needed,then again how Brits are behaving.......cant even say the word but S....y f...kBrits are now leaving in hordes...shame on them and shame on the easy cast off of a family pet!!! they dont even care what happens to the dog .....................put it to sleep, its kinder , dogs pine and grieve...stop this abuse !!!!!! msge 19 ...its not a sport for me ...its down right a big time piss off!!! so sick of these posts for re homing:(

Tango1

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Msg. 18 I think you will find that if you read the earlier thread on Sunny you will find that at least myself and one other were prepared to go 50/50 with her upkeap, so please don't say no-one was prepared to help. I have to say that the Santoria Road still concerns me. Can Mag. 16 let me know which house she was referring to, so that if I see her again I can take her back. As I said before, I'm up and down that road all the time. Thanks.

paddywack

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

I am not knocking any body,look around you at the way a lot of dogs are kept, the indigenous population is not noted for how they treat animals.

maggymay

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 17:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Hi Tango1

We took Sunny back to the vet that rehomed her ( the one with the donkey outside ) and her young son directed his driver who we followed as we went round a few times I cant say exactly where the house was but if you do see her up this way again you can phone me on 05338350701.

Maggymay

Visitor

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

I am pleased she is re homed. And I do agree that Cypriots are not the best at animal welfare but please

the Brits are not that great either.

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/animal-welfare/massive-increase-abandoned-dogs/20110812#comments

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-56272/Animal-cruelty-reported-19-seconds.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2019018/Pamela-Palmer-English-lady-guilty-animal-cruelty-accused-cheating-friends.html

Visitor

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Paws the animal charity in the ROC

The PAWS manager said that despite popular belief, it was not all local people who were to blame for the practice of abandoning dogs.

She said: “I have a great grievance against the British dumping dogs. Over the last two years we’ve had the problem of British leaving the island and just leaving their dogs without finding homes for them. Some have even been left locked in houses and some people have had to break in to let them out… I want to be fair about this. The British have a lot to answer for as well. I’m sorry to say.”

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

OK Maggy May - I apologise to you but you are one of the exceptions that prove the rule.

But I am sick of this constant criticism of Cypriots - its their Island - if you dont like the way they live, why come here? And many ARE kind to animals , they just dont treat them as pets as we do.

I am even more sick of criticism of Brits who adopt animals out of kindness and have to leave because of personal tragedy oR illness (which I believe was the case here) and may be broken hearted leaving the animals but have no alternative. Taking them back to the UK is too complicated and expensive for people who have their own health or family health problems.

I aso sometimes cant sleep for worrying what would happen to my (adopted stray) dogs if or when I am now longer able to care for them, But what am I do do? Deny myself the company and pleasure they give me and deny them a good home because I am getting older?

moxie

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Correct Visitor......its a case of out of the frying pan into the fire for these poor animals....as long as these Brits re home and i use the word loosley , they feel no guilt....they dont care who takes them , they go home thinking oh Rex will be fine with his new family...often they are not

If they cant re home they dump them...Karma...i hope it comes around for them !!

Turks/Cypriots dont usually have the same mentality towards animals, of course there are a few...very few who do!.

But how can you leave your pet who has been treated like one of your family, knows you and your ways , has a routine etc ... to people who see a dog as...just that A DOG ..dirty , good for barking and loves to eat bread ???

Funny how now all these animals belong to seriously ill /dead people?????

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

We need more compassion and co-operative action. People who cant keep animals themselves (and say Oooh I would love to help but ................) could follow MMs example and help out with Vets fees, and active people could help with training and excercise for those who have space to home animals but arent able to exercise them all.

Hard though it is I also think KAR should give priority to helping those who look after strays and to rehoming those who are left for compassionate reasons.

I have had three dogs who had previous owners. Only one showed signs of grieving for her previous owner and she settled after a few days . She still greets him with delight when she sees him but is quite happy that she is my dog now and doesnt fret when they part.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

I believe anyone who has to leave a pet, especially one they have had for a few years - should ALWAYS have them euthanased - every time - and I DON'T believe there are no vets to do it, as they - more than anyone, would know the grief that can ensue from a feral animal, to one that is grieving for its owner, being left with a new one - new surroundings, other animals perhaps - and so on and so forth...

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Have you ever had a loved pet put down, MsGarnet? I have twice - in both cases the dog was well past the normal life span for the breed, and suffering from an incurable disease. That was sufficiently distressing. To put down a young and healthy is beyond anything I could bear. And Vets, like Doctors, are committed to preserving life, not destroying it. It is not fair to ask them to destroy young healthy animals.

AS I said before I have had three dogs previously owned. Two are still with me - one is still a puppy, and one has had thirteen years of further life which she has thoroughly enjoyed and repaid by being a marvellous companion, because she was adopted not put down.

It is time the expat community showed some compassion for unforunate members and their animals and made arrangements for the care of the latter. Instead of the last three animals adopted through this board, two have been adopted by Cypriots and people have been moaning about that!

Lilli

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

I see what you all say and mrs g i beleive in you also but how do you play GOD with that babies life, I think that education is coming through and once they do not want the latest designer dog we will get there. Im in UK at the moment and cry every day why I dont know its because I miss them I know they are cared x for. I do not know what my future is and I am scared my op is thursday but whatever the outcome they will come first. Moxie one daY we will find a way x

mozgor

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 02:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

It is my understanding that Turkish Cypriots are good to their pets, however, mainland settlers are probably the ones who are treating their dogs less like pets and more like belongings. Sad, but unfortunately true as the problem of strays on the mainland is much worse than in Cyprus and many of the people are really quite cruel to dogs and cats. Every time we go to visit my husband's family on the mainland we always rescue a dog or puppy, not through choice, but a situation always arises where some poor wee sould needs protecting.

It's all too sad and I agree that education is by far the best way forward as it will eventually filter through the generations. I'm sure many of you will remember that we had stray dogs running around the UK not that long ago.

Bertie

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

We have recently adopted a dog whose owners are going back to UK she has sellted well in spite of having been owned by them for 8yrs. I know they still have 3 looking for homes a spaniel a cyprus terrier and a boxer cross, they leave at the beginning of October and I really hope they either find homes for them or have them put to sleep to turn them out is the most appalling cruelty.

Our adopted Cyprus dog and cat have had their Rabies injections and this new one will too so that if ever we have to leave the island they will travel with us to do anything other would be unthinkable

moxie

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

lets hope this new law is passed next year , which enables people to take their pets back home.................i dont agree with putting down healthy dogs but surely it is preferably to being dumped..POISONED, or given to someone who is going to keep it on a chain for the rest of its life...quality not quantity!!

Cyptiots /Turks are mainly the ones who are against neutering, unfortunately , not helping the stray dog problem ! which in turn ends up with a Brit taking it on .....then they go back to the uk , dog back on the streets or back to a TC for breeding.....................round and round in circles .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.