North Cyprus Tourist Board - 2 adult male german shepherd cross dogs looking for new home
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 2 adult male german shepherd cross dogs looking for new home

2 adult male german shepherd cross dogs looking for new home

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

2 adult male German Shepherd cross dogs free to loving, caring and competent home.

Must be previous dog owners.

Must know how to train and teach adult dogs

Dogs are spayed, vaccinated

One friendly, one shy, both lovely

Being rehomed due to attacking a cat.

These dogs need a home with no cats

Secure garden a must

respond to this post please with an email address of mobile number and we will contact you direct

many thanks

Tango1

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

I'm not trying to be difficult, but is it one cat they have jointly attacked. If so, I know it's tragic, but is it enough to want to get rid of them both? It's something that unfortunately could happen at any time particularly in hot weather when dogs with thick coats can get agitated. I don't know the circumstances obviously, but is this a knee jerk reaction to an attack or are you convinced it will happen again?

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Tango1

thank you for your thoughtful response.

The weather is not warm just now, I wish is was as simple as that- these dogs have a history of going after cats and now they have killed one. Its not a knee jerk reaction, its a very sad reaction. I am very upset to have to do this. Of course I'm worried sick about the dogs going to a new home after all the stories I've read here of dogs being abandoned, left behind etc. They are lovely big hounds but they are not going to stop attacking cats now.

If you know of anyone who could take them and who would genuinely give them a proper caring home please do get in touch by reposting or by emailing the email address on my member details.

thank you

BoTanica

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

My giant schnauzer hated cats with a vengance, he would have killed a cat had I not been able to drag him away. But it is instinct in some dogs to chase "prey". Could you not see if a dog trainer could help out? I am sorry but re-homing 2 big dogs together, (both cross beed) will be almost impossible.

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

BoTanica

thanks for the advice. much appreciated. I am happy to rehome the dogs separately although they are brothers and have never been parted.

if you can recommend a good humane trainer I would be most interested to hear more about training as I am very sad to let the dogs go but I can't hav them killing cats.

please email junctionestates@hotmail.com with details or post on to here.

much obliged to you

cyprusnewbie

BoTanica

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

I know that Lena at the dog hotel does obedience training classes - whether she has the expertise to help with this I don't know. I do wish you well and hope that you solve the problem. You can search her number on here by using the search facility.

Lauvaine

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Hi, Cyprus Newbie. First of all can I please say that I know exactly how you feel. I have two dogs who have attacked four cats and killed at least two that I know of (the last one died in my son's arms). At the time I felt like getting rid of my dogs but I persevered and we now have our own cat which they love. However, they still don't like other cats and I dread to think what would happen if another cat came into our garden. Some people say that it is natural for cats and dogs to fight. I am not sure about this but I think it is probably a natural terratorial thing for a dog to chase and attack anything that comes into it's garden. Our dogs spend a good portion of the day chasing lizards that they are never able to catch. Our cat however, is always bringing me presents of dead lizards and once even a baby bat. Of course, only you can make this difficult decision and you must do what you feel is right. Good luck.

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Lauvaine

thank you for taking the time to respond. Its kind of you and I appreciate hearing about your experience and also for the bit of optimism in your post. I am at my wits end. will try Lena at the dog hotel and see if she can help. I've been too soft and taken on dogs as well as cats. Its entirely my fault but its the cats who are suffering.

Lauvaine

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Sorry Cyprus Newbie. Didn't realise the cats were your own! This is a different situation altogether. Good luck and if you are able to find some way of training dogs to like cats then please let me know. My e mail is daniellesiv@yahoo.com.

martin

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Give me a ring on 0533 833 09 41, very interested .

Martin

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Martin

I will call you tomorrow. Thanks for your enquiry. you can also email me on junctionestates@hotmail.com and I can give you some more information and also ask you a hundred questions.

thanks

mozgor

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

You can actually train that out of dogs, it takes time dedication and patience, but it can be done if you know how. Would agree with seeking professional help from a dog trainer who will give you the knowhow and then it would be up to you if you want to keep your dogs.

It's obviously going to be much more challenging if you still have cats cos keeping them apart is the difficult thing.

Best of luck, my heart goes out to you, awful decision to have to make

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
24/09/2011 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

thank you Mozgor - I have been heartened by the sympathetic and helpful responses today. not what I expected at all.

hopefully this can all be resolved.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

I have a cat who it terrified of dogs, cyprusnewbie what I don't understand is how these dogs managed to attack and kill the cat, surely you must have known about their aggression? and kept them well away on a lead from any cat, nearly all feral or pet cat's wouldn't go anywhere near any dog they don't know well!

I have a good friend who has a Rescue Greyhound he knows that the Greyhound will attack anything that runs, so keeps him under control!

Why didn't you?

snd1966

Message Posted:
25/09/2011 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

msg 14 That is so unfair - our dogs were bought up with cats so imagine how shocked i was when they caught and killed one. I was lucky the owner was understanding still to this day (2007) says wow what a good hunting dog. They even after 18 months of living with one decided one night he must go which bought tears to our eyes. Cyprusnewbie I feel for you as i know if they decide one night my two little darlings (cats) must go i will not be responsible for my actions but i have to accept they are hunting dogs so if cats, pigeons, rats & lizards come in their garden or in open windows they are prey as far as these two are concerned.

cyprusnewbie

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

snd 1966

thanks for the note of support - you are quite right that dogs can be fine one day and then temptation overcomes them, especially when they are in a group. Its not always as straigthforward as it sounds although TRNC is quite right - you shouldn't have them if you can't control them or rely on them not to go after your cats. That's why I'm hoping to rehome two of them.

I have one person interested in one of the dogs, he seems a responsible and experienced dog owner and I am grateful for his interest (thanks Martin, looking forward to hearing from you on junctionestates@hotmail.com )

That said I would much rather they went as a pair as they are brothers and have never had a day apart. They are lovely hounds, in beautiful condition, spayed, vaccinated - they've even got TRNC dog licences. Terrific guard dogs but not a bad bone in them - unless you're a cat that runs across their line of sight.

BoTanica

Message Posted:
26/09/2011 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

I didn't realise it your cat either. The one my boy caught was daft enough to come inside the house. The whole room was wrecked, I only managed to get him off by twisting his ears really hard. I felt awful - I had never hurt him before. The cat ran off and after that I made sure that there were no cats around in the garden. It was a horrible experience. I do hope that you have a happy ending to this.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.