North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help we need a large garden shredder
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help we need a large garden shredder

Help we need a large garden shredder

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Gardening threads posted so far

the butler

Message Posted:
27/09/2011 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Due to the overwhelming amount of garden waste on our complex, we need to purchase at least a six and a half horse powered garden shredder. Does anybody know where we might be able to purchase this in the TRNC? All replies gratefully received.

Tango1

Message Posted:
27/09/2011 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

Strewth, that's a lot of garden waste you have there. I've only seen one down South and then I don't think it was as powerful as you're talking about.

Hippo

Message Posted:
27/09/2011 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

What you need is a chipper got about 20k to spend? thats what they are. The local Belideir here in the peoples republic of Alsancak will pick in up.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
27/09/2011 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Both electric and petrol driven shredders are sold at the garden shop adjacent to the petrol station over the brow of the mountain pass on the Girne to Lefkosa road. (turn right at the speed cameras). From my experience of these things they are very time and energy consuming unless you can spend the sort of money mentioned by Hippo.

the butler

Message Posted:
27/09/2011 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Hippo msg3

If our beledyia in Esentepe would come and collect our garden rubbish we wouldn't need a shredder but unfortunately they won't even come and replace bulbs in the street lights, even though we all pay our council tax.

The shredder we are looking for is petrol driven and is £600 - £800 in the UK a 12 horsepower one is £900 - £1100 We are not chipping trees, so don't need to spend 20k.

Msg4 deputydog, will take a look in this garden centre, thanks for your help.

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 07:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Butler thats a bit unfair on the Bele, has your site been adopted yet ? bet it hasn't and you pay only for domestic bin uplift, my friend lives on the site opposite you and they are the same, its still the builder thats supposed to upkeep the lighting and the roads are private as well, same on Turtle bay, blue bay etc.

If you try Canadian imports at Catalkoy they might get what you are needing

the butler

Message Posted:
28/09/2011 08:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

hodgeliz,

On our council tax bills it is divided into 3 and one part says street lighting, so I am assuming we are paying for it. Our builder developer is Medview, so no chance of getting any maintenance done by them. Can you suggest what we can do to replace all the dud light bulbs? Perhaps you know where we can hire a cherry picker.

We have been to Candian Imports and yes they are supposed to be able to get what we want but unfortunately the guy in there does not seem interested in our custom and does nothing to order the machine, despite several visits and phone calls. Sorry to sound so negative but a little frustration is creeping in, which I always vowed I would not let happen.

Pipie

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 20:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

The butler.

We have always asked a local to clear away rubbish and take it away never been a problem.

hope this helps .

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
03/10/2011 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Butler

Sorry to hear about Canadian man he was a big help to us when we moved in but times seem to be changing, i have noticed a real turnaround in lots of the local peoples attitudes to foreigners.

I still think you will find that the street lighting you are paying on your bill is for the public ways like the village lights and the lights at the junctions, your M/C might be persuaded to take the task on.

Locals we find take the rubbish round the corner and dump it or throw it over a cliff, mind you i find i could dump some rubbish over a cliff ;)

the butler

Message Posted:
04/10/2011 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Hi hodgeliz,

I agree with what you are saying about times are changing, the locals have milked us and grown rich on our hard earned cash and now can't be bothered with us.

The story of the street lights goes like this, 3 years ago Medview told us that the beledyia would connect the street lights if we all paid our property tax. The property tax was duly collected and paid and the street lights were connected. The property tax has been paid yearly every since then. The committe asked the beledyia to change the dud light bulbs, the beledyia have no record of the lighting, go to Kibtek they say. Kibtek give the cypriot shrug, nothing to do with us, so who connected the street lighting and who is responsible for it? You say in an earlier post that the complex may not have been adopted yet by the beledyia, what does this mean and how do you get it adopted?

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
06/10/2011

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Butler

As i understand the Bele will adopt a complex usually when it has been completedand handed over with title deeds, but i think they are becoming fly and insisting that individual complexes outwith their village areas pay for their own street lighting, which i suppose is fair, Kibtek would have connected the lights and there is prob a meter which kibtek will read and bill, the M/C should divide the bill between all the owners to pay and i would of thought that they would also change the dud bulbs, but mebee not unless its in there scope of works.

Youre lucky i suppose with near all paying, but on a place where only 50/60% paying they will again have to pay the bills between them, what other option do they have.

gooligan

Message Posted:
09/10/2011 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Avril,

When I took Stephen to the customs in Nicosia we did see a place on the way home that had big garden shredders,he did write the location down in his diary,I seem to recall it was somewhere near the 1001 shop at Ercan.

the butler

Message Posted:
10/10/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Hi gooligan,

Stephen and I went back to this place to look for shredders a couple of months ago, unfortunately what he thought

were shredders (he only saw them from the road in a moving car) turned out to be some kind of agricultural machinery, hence this thread. We will go to Nicosia this week and take a look around there.

Avril

Hippo

Message Posted:
10/10/2011 09:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

What you are getting mixed up with is a silage or grain harvester looks the same because of the delivery chute.

Alsancak has two now both bandits.

Akinlar (the wood burner man) has one and will come and chip it if it is mostly solid wood but not for garden waste.

Chippers are made for solid wood and preferably green.

Garden waste is usually disposed off with a tub grinder.

Putting earth small stones through a chipper will ruin it a very short time blunts blades and chips the anvil

In my experience domestic shredders are as much use as a chocolate tea pot OK if you only have a few rose pruning but any quantity the motor will soon overheat.

gooligan

Message Posted:
10/10/2011 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

I seem to recall an article in the paper a few years ago that the bloke who makes them briquettes for fires and log burners would come and shred your garden waste as long as he could keep it to make the briquettes.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.