North Cyprus Tourist Board - thinking of moving to north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > thinking of moving to north cyprus

thinking of moving to north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

Marji C

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

Was lucky enough to take a 3 month career break in Ozankoy recently. What a place! Considering we just stuck a pin in the map and took off - we could not have asked for more. A truly beautiful place and the friendliest people you could meet. Loved it so much we plan to move there as soon as we can sell up and flee the cold here. Found out so much info on work, schools and general living stuff. After 3 months we are VERY AWARE that life would not be perfect, making a living would not be easy (sadly we are far from retirement), and there would be sacrifices. But we are utterly convinced that life would be better, especially for our 5 year old son. We may never be rich but hey, I just know we'll be happy!! Got lots of useless information on schools, renting, working in TRNC etc. if anyone's interested!

davidoff

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

Hi marji,

Dont suppose you know anything about setting up a residents association out there do you?? Like legals and legislation in NC for it??

Take care-D

Bradus

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Marji,

We have also bought an apartment in Ozankoy. Any info on restaurants, bars and things to see and do in the village would be welcome. When do you hope to go back?

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 14:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

The British Residents Society (BRS) already exists, why would you want to set up another similar organistaion. See the link below:

http://www.brstrnc.com/

lobylud

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 16:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Guys,

My first post on this site, it is a shame about losing the northcyprus forum because it did have a lot of info which you could dip into if you had the time.

The msn forum would be O.K. to use as well as this one but it looks like you have to set up an hotmail address and I just don't want one, I've already got my e-mail address which is enough for me.

lovingcyprus - the British Residents Society (BRS) looks like a useful contact, it's the first time I've come across this and they could be very helpful, with being set up in 1975,they must have a lot of helpful info.

Cheers,

Loby.

ukturk

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

hi there lobylud

welcome to the forum you will find all the info you need on this forum if you cant find it just post it asking and im sure you will have answer to your question or if you have a specific question please dont hesitate in asking me you can ask any of the experianced posters on this forum that im quite knowlegable on a lot of subjects concerning north cyprus (being a cypriot) so i am here to help and that goes out to any of you new posters

regards

ukturk

cypruslynx

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Bradus

You asked about info on restaurants in Ozankoy. We have a villa just above Ozankoy although it is the Bellapais area we still count Ozankoy as our nearest village. It has a number of restaurants that are worth a try. The best in our opinion is Patini - excellent food well worth a visit, good for a special occasion. The chinese garden (used to be Le Jardin) my daughter has been - not bad but a bit pricey. The centre of the village is worth a walk around it has the usual corner shop good for bread and milk and always very handy. We have found the unwrapped bread the best to go for as some of the supermarket bread has unwanted guests!! we think it is down to the packaging and the heat.

It also has a "pick your own sweetcorn" and a personal "car wash" a bit bizarre to find in such a small villiage but at least you'll have a shiny rental!!. It has an excellent butcher good BBQ meat and very helpful friendly people. If you need a larger water tank the village sells 5 ton tanks the largest we have come across. Five fingers restaurnat has wireless connection for the laptop - The centre has recently been improved and is a meeting place for many of the locals all in all a nice little village with all you could need - and a bit more!!!

Regards

Cypruslynx

Bradus

Message Posted:
21/10/2007 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

Thanks Cypruslynx,

I'll bear all this in mind particularly the buying of bread! Certainly looked to have a good community spirit when we were last over there but didn't get round much of an evening as was staying elsewhere. Out there on the 28th October and loking forward to spending more time in the village and getting to know the locals

FedupUK

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Marji C - as my nickname explains I am fed up with this country. My house is on the market and I have been looking into taking my family (partner, daughter of 3) to Kyrenia, specifcally Ozankoy. Another family and couple are also doing the same. We are far from retirement also and would like to invest in a business. My gut instinct tells me to spend at least a season there to properly research business opportunities. During this period we will have to work to support ourselves and our daughter's school fees. I thought it was £1500 per year. Yes I would love any help you can offer re work/business investments/resident investments and hotspots.

I would like to enjoy a nice family life, I'm not scared of hard work, but hard work should lead to some sort of quality of life which I have none here anymore. ANother baby would be lovely, but couldn't possibly afford one here and I have a good job.

ANy help would be gratefully appreciated.

johnty

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

Be careful guys dont jump yet. Do a lot of research. I know alot of people who came with your idea. Its not easy to find work. some people who have set up businesses here are really stuggling, they just survive and work very hard. My advice work very hard pay off any mortgage as quickly as you can then use the sale to invest and maybe you will survive on the interest accrued.

Nemika

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Hi all,

your all right its a lovely place to live BUT... yes there is a BIG BUT if you do not have money behind you it gets hard. i moved here with my husband and son of 16 months. all was going well we was here only 2 weeks when my husband got a job with a pool company. 1st pay day was on time. 2nd pay day was 4 days late. 3rd pay day was 2 weeks late and only got half of it. 4th pay day. was 1 and half months late. 5th pay day didnt come at all and we are still waiting 2 months on. and the more i asked around the more i found there are hundreds of people is the same boat. if you are planing to move here with a family you really need to check you will be able to manage on your money incase all plans go up the creek. its true what thay say dont move here if you have to work for a living. im sorry to sound so glum but its not always sunny in cyprus. its god dam hard.

i wish you all the best and hope you have more luck than the rest of us

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

Margaret...

I notice you have lots of useless information (your words not mine) why do you think anyone would want it? ha ha.....

I sincerely hope you do make a go of it....

mountbatten

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

FedupUK,johnty has the right idea,& as Nemika states,its damn hard if you wish to start a business or find work,please do not try & convince yourselves you might do better,i do not doubt that you are not scared of hard work,its finding the work.

As i have pointed out to others,when you get that feeling of ,whats life all about,you think the grass is greener on the other side,sun,sea,beer etc,that soon wears thin.

If you do move,i wish you all the luck in the world

timefore

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

Good advice Johnty. We came out for a six month trial - rented out our house in the UK and came out for the winter months - best thing we ever did! 3 years on still here and loving it! Could have been so different had we 'chucked' everything and burnt our bridges - hope it works out for anyone considering the move - just be careful

Groucho

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

Bradus

Start with a visit to The Five Fingers restaurant.. (near the Mosque) Alex and Libby will not only be friendly hosts but a mine of local information..

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

starting a business here is a mine field.

you need plenty of cash and it would help if you had a tc partner.

MOVER

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Hi Marji,

When you are ready to Move from the UK do give me a call and I will give you a low cost rate to ship to Door Ozankoy by Container. The Exodus has started we have Shipped out 3 familes to TRNC this month and there are more to follow. When it comes to Shipping to TRNC we have many satisified clients,

established 1984 and authorised and regulated by the FSA for Marine Insurance, So if the boat Sinks you get your insured value pay out. But boats dont sink do they they? What happened to the "Dolphin 1" carryng containers, cars and personal effects from Mersin to Famagusta last Nov07 - It sank- a tragic disaster for the crew and the poor people who had declined Insurance Cover lost the lot.. A real tragedy.

Seemingly many did not Insure their Chattels. So dont be taken in chancers.The moral" book your move with a firm who can insure against all risks including general average and have peace of mind"

http://www.freightbrain.co.uk

Quarmby

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Best restaurant in Ozankoy, try Erol's

windmill

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

Mover,knock it off,who you kidding,my best mate works on the shipping,theres more coming home then going out,Marjic,dont fall that line of mover,its his line of business

Thought he might have told you something worth hearing

FedupUK

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Thank you all for your comments, all gratefully received but a bit worrying. So the biggest hurdle sounds like finding work, is it a case of not what you know but who you know? Could anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to live for 1 month...not scrimping and not living like kings, just average living for a family of 3 for 1 month. This will give me some idea of how much money I need behind me in case work doesn't materialise. Our house is on the market here in the UK (whether we come to TRNC or not) so it very much depends on how much equity we walk away with.

U have helped make my mind up re sending out hubby and child for 2-3 months to see how things are and if he can find work. I will keep earning in UK, i have a good job, no point chucking it in on a whim! Will miss my daughter but have to think of the bigger picture!

Do any of you currently work there? How easy do you think it would be to get estate agent job?

Thanks again guys!!

P.S Bloody cold here

Groucho

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Big thunder, lightning and rain storm here today... it's cool not cold... and now we don't need to water the garden for one night anyway....

RocknRoll

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

Horses for courses about living expenses and how longs a piece of string but for 3 I'd say £1000/1500 per month before/after accommodation costs but add in 10/15% inflation year on year. Think long and hard before burning yr bridges in UK.

windmill

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 23:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Stay put,

For a few years yet,uk not that bad

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.