North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electricity advice
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electricity advice

Electricity advice

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

Sarniebarn

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

I am about to apply for an electricity meter to my property via my solicitor.

Can anyone advise me how electricity payments work in TRNC.

Is it similar to the U.K.?

Do you pay standing charges or do you just pay for what you use.

As I only use my villa a few times a year and do not go out there on a regular basis I want to make sure that I can make a payment in advance. I have an HSBC bank account in Girne.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

ricmo

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

When you have had your meter fitted and an account no., go to the electric office in Girne, where you would normally pay your bill, and pay in a credit against your account.

the electric company will then deduct your bills against this credit monthly,

stickle

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

You have to pay a deposit for the meter. This was about 900ytl in July but I believe that the fee has gone up. if you can get a cypriot friend to do this the fee is cheaper. The meter is read about once a month and the payment should be made within 31 days. there are facilities for direct debits but we have no experience of this

sylvie

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

direct payments from istiksat bank is very reliable - just open an account leave somo money on the account , they will tell you what to do - when you get your first bill bring it to the bank if yur meter is checked the 16th of november , you THE BANK PAYS AROUND THE 22nd of december and so on -

Hector

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

You can't rely on the bank to pay your standing order as my friend found out after he was cut off and had to pay a huge fine to get reconnected. Best to leave a large payment to make sure you are in credit whilst away from the TRNC. Whilst away I'd advise you to remove your main electric fuse to prevent it getting stolen if you are not using electricity.

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Use HSBC to pay electicity... they pay it on the last day due.. no problems.

The costs are small standing charge and bands of differing charges that get incrementally more expensive the more you use to encourage prudent use of the resource.

If you are absent you need to make sure a misread, if there is one, gets spotted just in case it leads to a large bill - they don't do refunds once paid - One lady got a £2,000 deduction from her account and was massively in credit. Nearly as bad is underbilling which will push up the bandwidths on your next bill... So get a neighbour to check that the reading is close to figure quoted on your bill if you can.

froggy

Message Posted:
21/11/2008 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

You get a monthly bill with all your charges broken down for you, (if you can read turkish). You can either put credit on your kibtek account when you are here or if you pay your bill up then go to HSBC and put it on direct debit.

hope this helps

sylvie

Message Posted:
22/11/2008 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

i - an assure bank is reliable - i am not living in cyprus permanently -easy for you if you have a doubt it is about payment it is easy to phone and find out - why should turkish cypriots banks not reliable and HSBC better !!! if i read many posts about that bank they are more reliable !

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/11/2008 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

The good thing about HSBC for paying bills is you can set it up online... you can see it online... you can see when it's going to be paid online and you can see how much it's going to be....

With a local Cypriot bank we tried this... it did not work we had to go into the bank and then we could not see it online until it had gone out... which is too late if you want to query the amount...

i.e. not so flexible or usable....

I think this is enough justification for my recommendation... To be fair, I would not recommend HSBC in Girne for over the counter banking as the queues are often horrendous so we keep that to the minimum but their online facilities are spot on and their ATMs also will pay out in Sterling if you need it.

authentichoccie

Message Posted:
22/11/2008 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Electric Meter deposit charges - (Foreigner) - 840YTL

or with Guarantoor - 240 YTL!!!

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
22/11/2008 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

HSBC is great for paying bills over the internet, and you can always check to make sure it has been paid. The strange thing with the electric bill is that they always take it at the end of the following month.

sweep

Message Posted:
22/11/2008 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

sarnie barn

i have just had meter fitted and set up direct debit with hsbc to pay the bill i was told by the bank to give kiptec some money for the first months bill and all others will be debited out of my account. The bank were quite good and very helpfull even when they were at full capacitiy they sat down with me and made sure every thing was done correctly and left a good impression i would recommmend them to anyone they are even replying to emails from GB with any quierrys i have.

a word of warning get someone who can speak turkish or give POA to a management company to arrange for your meter and pay depoisit as i had a mightmare with them i was in there for two days and still went home without getting it sorted they can be hard work and are not interested in helping you unless you are a local.

Sarniebarn

Message Posted:
25/11/2008 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for all your help - I will keep this in mind

joandjelly

Message Posted:
25/11/2008 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

How does the TC guarantor thing work? Do you both go to Kib-tec and they take details of the TC's kimlik or ....? Can a TC stand guarantee to multiple foreigners?

Thanks.

Jo

breezyboy

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Hector and Groucho,

Which Cyprus banks Didn't work?

Iktisat were praised by another member, which ones cannot get it right?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.