North Cyprus Tourist Board - the price to fit a dish
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > the price to fit a dish

the price to fit a dish

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

millwallmik

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

how much does it cost to fit a dish that's compatible with a sky hd box,ie i can bring my card over from the uk and get all the channel's i have in the uk

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Hi millwallmik

firstly, you should know that taking the card won't work - the card is tied to the box :(

secondly, the cost depends on the size/ make of dish and were it is to be located ( concrete base needed ?) and cable runs

I recommend you decide if you need BBC / ITV ( 4.2m) or a 1.8m and look for a south facing location.

As someone supplying I would NEVER quote over the phone - as no two locations are the same - the client could get upset if your estimate works out lower than a quote, when one sees the location.

iceman

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Mark

The card WILL work in any box but will be limited to show only the basic package (Entertainment Mix) channels

It is the premium channels such as SKY Sports & SKY Movies that require the card to be tied to the box.

millwallmik

If your property is in Kyrenia region,contact me when you arive so i can do a free site survey and give you a quote.

wackyjim

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

I can highly recommend Iceman to anyone considering installing a satellite system.The backup service to his customers is second to none even years after an installation.

slumdog

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

I have a 4.2 dish if yr interested £800 already dismantled,installation cost is about £600 05338478936

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

re msg 3

Hi Iceman,

The card WILL work in any box but will be limited to show only the basic package (Entertainment Mix) channels

True, but once a month - at any time in the month the card can - if not in the right box - show dreaded the "wrong card for box" msg on ALL pay channels :(

iceman

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Mark

"wrong card for box" error is on cards that miss OTA card updates sent by SKY to keep the card "active"

If the card has been used in a box connected to the signal (even standby would do cos that's usually when SKY send the updates to box/card) it will be OK..

SKY sends updates to the cards every 5-6 weeks,so cards/boxes disconnected longer than 5-6 weeks will give "wrong card for box" error, BUT if left connected for few hours (sometimes might take longer) card will update itself and start working again...(or you can call SKY and have it activated instantly)

I haven't noticed if cards fail receiving the updates if used in another box, but i doubt it, cos updates are sent to the card not the box...are you sure about this?

Perhaps someone out there using a card in the box it was not intended to be used can shed some light on this for us..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Mustafa

I have folks contact me who are ex-pats in CY and Spain and they do get the problem - as you say - and when they ring SKY - if so afflicted - the viewing does come back.. but it can be from 2 minutes to 72 hours..

You are correct the s/w update works whether the correct box is in the card, or not... but - if it is the "wrong card" msg - it does not always ( quickly) correct itself..

I've just finished experimenting with this and it took 7 days ( and three phone calls) for two boxes to receive the info from SKY ( OTA) to repair the cards... even with the units connecting to a phone line ( ?!)

Lastly, the cards get updates OTA on a daily basis.... if ( for example ) the bill isn't paid / their is no record of a current Direct debit set up or the update is missed .. the box may show a request to call to SKY - to pay - even if there is nothing outstanding ..

The white cards are much more rigorously 'policed'

yrret

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

mwm

Icey is the way to go for sure, you will at some point need the dish trimming, and Mustafa is the best on the island (and probably a lot further).

Prices from the suppliers are I believe very similar, so you may as well have the best signal and service.

We've had excellent service for nearly 5 years now.

iceman

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

The white cards are much more rigorously 'policed'

True...BUT they have much more bugs than the older blue cards,which is the reason sometimes they fail to update.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
13/10/2011 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Mustafa,

I *think* it is the striving to stop the cards being shared that makes 'em more of a 'pain'...

SKY often say, " If you keep the box plugged into the phone line, this doesn't happen".... I wonder - sometimes- if this is a ply to GET folk to do that ?

Naturally, those living outside the UK / IRL can't .. I hope that might change, soon -for those living in the EU

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.