North Cyprus Tourist Board - KAR visit to Green Height
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > KAR visit to Green Height

KAR visit to Green Height

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Hamish

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

I have asked the administrators if there is any way that the Green Heights KAR visit threads can be "stapled" together so they remain in the correct running/reading order. That way it is easier to follow the whole report of the visit without it becoming totally disjointed amongst other threads/replies.

I am not sure if they can do it (fingers crossed) but i do apologise for the thread being so long ( i am known for my ability to natter !!!). I felt it needed a detailed report to cover the whole visit and to allay peoples concerns if possible.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

It wasn't easy but I have copied all your postings into this one thread. Obviously they are your posts not mine. I will close the others and leave this one as the only thread

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

This morning Margaret Ray , from KAR , made an unannounced visit to Green Heights. Whilst she was looking around she was approached by the Manager - who had seen her interest on the CCTV cameras. Margaret explained that there were many concerns about the conditions that the birds/animals were being kept in and she wanted to look at them all. He agreed it would be ok and they toured the site together discussing certain aspects of care and Margaret making several reccomendations - which the Manager seemed to understand the reasoning and take on board.

Overall it was felt that the site was good - security was good and as mentioned there is CCTV in evidence. Particular concerns were as follows;

There are 2 aviaries which are overcrowded which has resulted in them becoming dirty. The manager agreed to split the birds into 2 aviaries or to put them all into one bigger aviary.

The duck had drinking water but the Manager was not aware that it should also have water to bathe/sit in

continue

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Duck - clean bathing/sitting water will be provided.

There was concern about the condition the rabbits were kept in. Ideally they should be in a green area - he was not aware of that - however the manager insists that they are fed greens regularly but it is not in evidence as it is eaten immediately. There were holes in the fencing between the dogs/rabbits which will now be repaired.

The dogs are in a double cage with kennels. The size of the cage is acceptable with regards to the dogs size. They were in good condition with shiney coats/no ticks or fleas. They had clean water. However there was old dog pooh around - which he has been advised to clear immediately and keep it cleaned regularly. There was also pieces of stale/discared bread. After discussing their feeding routine Margaret is happy that they are, in fact, being fed with kitchen/cafe waste and the bread was more of a "chuck it in in case they want it" scenario. This was likely proven because the dogs were not hungry contd

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

--- dogs were not eating the bread/not thin and coats in good condition. The bread will be removed and he will ask staff not to put it in for it to go stale and mouldy. The manager assured Margaret that the dogs were out of their cages and exercised every evening (after closing).

When Margaret asked about the donkey (which she could hear in the distance but not see) he explained that it was a donkey that was in fact on private land. KAR do not have the authority to go onto private land with out consent (regardless of circumstances) and have fallen foul of regulation before !! Therefore she was not able to check for herself the condition of the donkey nor its habitat.

Through out the visit Margaret explained peoples concerns and how to overcome those concerns for the better of the animals. He seemed willing to comply with all her suggestions and understood the concerns.

KAR hope that this visit/discussion and outcome will be of comfort to the many members who were upset contd 3

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

....upset by the conditions of the animals at Green Heights. Conditions were not as bad as KAR had feared and it is hoped that now it has been bought to their attention, and that it is understood what is needed, that staff will be more careful with the needs and comfort of the animals there.

KAR hope that this will resolve the situation but will monitor the situation at Green Heights - they would ask if any board members have any concerns either now, or in the future, to please contact their office (0533 8694098 or kar@kyreniaanimalrescue.org) to discuss their concern.

Thank you all for your continued concern and support for all of the animals here in North Cyprus.

Hamish

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you so much Harold2555

Hideaway

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Hi All

I had planned to meet up with a few forum members at Green Heights this Sunday and deliver some new heavy duty plastic drinking bowls ( I have just purchased 30) and hopefully fill them up with fresh water and also bring a bag of dry dog food with me which I have also bought and some veggies for the rabbits. I don't want to upset anyone, particularly KAR, by taking this action, so not sure quite what to do now. I think I will visit the Kar stall at Chateau Lambousa Market tomorrow and ask their advice as I certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes!

Tango1

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Provided we introduce ourselves first I can't see anyone at Green Heights objecting to the rabbits being given some Veggies, can you? They (the animals) might appreciate some decent drinking/eating bowls as well. It does no harm what so ever to show interest/concern provided it's done in the correct way does it?

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Well done everyone concerned you have done a great job.

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Even the best zoos in the world run adoption schemes to defray costs.... I'm sure plenty of people would like to adopt a bunny etc.... It can't hurt.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
14/10/2011 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

I have criticized certain attitudes and policies of KAR in the past - and no doubt will do so in future.

However I also believe in giving credit where credit is due, and in this instance I believe Margaret and KAR are to be heartily congratulated for taking prompt and sensible action in defusing an unfortunate situation where hasty and unwise - even if well intentioned action - could have damaged community relations. Thank you Margaret and KAR. And thank you Hamish and Harold for giving us a sensible factual report.

I suggest that KAR themselves would be a suitable recipient for the bows and dry dog food, and could use them to benefit needy animals

moxie

Message Posted:
16/10/2011 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

maybe a dog walking scheme to make sure the dogs get excercise? one or twice a week, a chance to check they are ok, and good for someone who loves dogs but does not want the responsibilty full time?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.