North Cyprus Tourist Board - 'Lions Tour - New Zealand 1971'
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 'Lions Tour - New Zealand 1971'

'Lions Tour - New Zealand 1971'

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

mikey53

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I admit this TV programme last night on BBC2 managed to sneak under the radar, this rare Sporting achievement has only ever been accomplished once. In 1971 a Team, in those days were called 'The British Isles Lions' went on their 15week tour to NZ, and were written off as a two-bob team, incapable of even one Test win against the Mighty All Blacks, this is even more special given the fact that in those days unless your leg was only just hanging on, you were not sent home and replaced but you "worked through it," whatever that may involve!! Anyway, for those nostalgic Sports fans, this transmission can be viewed on the BBC i player as it's not often broadcast on UK tv screens, (even less I would expect on NZ tv ) 40 years later that record is still in place, probably won't ever be achieved again most experts agree... See Barry John, JPR, Mervyn, Gareth, Mike Gibson etc rip through the AB defense...

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks for the link mikey53 I shall enjoy later this evening with a glass of something or other. (26 games in 15 weeks!)

BigMart

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Thats great, just found it on iplayer and its only available in UK !, stacks of use for us in TRNC.

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

BigMart Get a UK VPN easy peasy, I'll e mail you.

mikey53

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Thank you slatnumber I am indebited to you, as I expected a lynch mob to hang me up for what I thought was something I thought should be shared with fellow Sports fans, phew !! As I have seen many posts / threads which mention the BBC i player and other channels showing their's, I thought it wasn't rocket science to be enabled to receive it in far reaching outer Mongolia and TRNC as you say Barrie easy peasy, you must be one of those 'Silver Surfer's we often hear about who are 'Clued UP' "Watch out for Gerald Davies" make monkey's out the lot of them !!!

Riddles

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Watched the deciding test on a TV in a shop window as I waited for a taxi to take me to my wedding ....40 years went by quickly! (Thankfully I've matured a bit and only watch RL now!)

BigMart

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Sorry mikey53, i'm just a thick northern monkey ! didn't know such things existed, i'll get Baz (slatnumber7 ) to educate me.

mikey53

Message Posted:
20/10/2011 15:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Nice of you to come back to me on that BigMart !! Just remembered 'Panda Eyes' two of the best black eyes ever received in one fight aye lad they were hard in those days, and pretty handy with the fisty cuffs accuracy as well. I think this may have been the blueprint for the '74 South african tour '99 call, that's another fantastic story !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.