North Cyprus Tourist Board - Water filters and dispensers
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Water filters and dispensers

Water filters and dispensers

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

mitsi

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 08:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 45 in Discussion

Anyone know about water filters. We would like a water dispenser unit for chilling same but need the water to be filtered as it's high in calcium and potassium here. Have only seen the little tap gadgets in supermarkets and they require frequent changing. Be grateful for any advice, thanks.

mitsi

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 08:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 45 in Discussion

How do you cancel a post on this site? Seems you can't delete them and I have sent same twice, sorry.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 13:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Mitsi

I have replied to the other one - I often want to try to change my spelling and likewise find it a little annoying to not be able to edit my posts.

Maybe in Version X Izzet will be able to add that facility?

kibsolar

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 45 in Discussion

what you request is, to my knowledge, not available.

for most of the areas in cyprus i advice not to drink tap water or from water delivery, tap gadgets are useless, they technically cannot filter the water properly. they just hold back "bigger" particles. all filter systems require maintenance and frequent changing of cartridges.

the "table filters" are better, but, at the end, not a really solution and quite expensive (cartridges)

get bottled water, but check for low chlorine levels (turkish "klorür") < 10, best is 0. unfortunately only a few companies are offering that.

if you cant live with that, the only chance is to buy a good reverse osmosis unit and bottle your water yourself.

Peter

scampy

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 45 in Discussion

Misti

Just buy one of the big water coolers and a 19 litre bottle of water

I have been drinking bottled water here for 7 years and I'm not dead yet...

Susie x

racoonchic

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 45 in Discussion

i can advise on water filtration systems my email is nemomaintenance@yahoo.co.uk

breezyboy

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 45 in Discussion

Water cooler with fridge under at Elektrokur £80. Bottled water in 19 litres is for nothing!

flightholiday

Message Posted:
24/11/2008 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 45 in Discussion

Mitsi, Can I ask what the problem is with calcuim and potasium as you are being rather specific.

Tom

kibsolar

Message Posted:
25/11/2008 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 45 in Discussion

spend a little more then 80 quit for your water cooler and assure you have a stainless steel heatexchanger.

these plastic ones are a mess for your health...

also these water coolers/heater need maintenance!

the heatexchanger must be cleaned regulary.

comodore1

Message Posted:
25/11/2008 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 45 in Discussion

you can buy a small desalination unit which are used on boats and although are expensive you never need to worry about drinking water.

Look into boat equipment magazine

a small unit can supply a thousand litres per day.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Comodore,

Nice idea but I don't think it is the same problem. I suspect the water involved is already potable "drinking" water and the aim probably is to reduce the effect of the calcium deposits.

The reason I asked Mitsi if there is anything else involved is on the off chance that there might be alternate needs with regard to medical problems etc.

If so I would ask some of the technical experts in Culligan for their advice before offering any units. (I know many of the answers but do not consider myself to have that much knowledge or to be an expert.)

Tom

http://www.softcleanwater.co.uk

Lazy days

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 45 in Discussion

We had a filtration system brought out from UK and it is great, the same system is on sale here by people who fit them at over three times the price, they can esily be fitted by someone who knows how to join a couple of plastic pipes and the filters are a dawdle to change, and are easily and cheaply bought in the UK.

The boat system is dearer but it will work indefinately well done commodore

flightholiday

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 45 in Discussion

Lazy Days - What system? Which manufacturer? What did you want it to do for you?

mitsi

Message Posted:
27/11/2008 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 45 in Discussion

flightholiday, I want low calcium as incidence of heart problems is much higher in hard water areas and it tastes awful. No health problems at present for us but our cat is prone to bladder stones and he needs soft water. I dislike the water marks here, it looks awful on stainless steel cutlery, sinks etc; We had same in UK. OK if you wash and dry dishes immediately, can't leave them to drain and I know a dishwasher negates all that but have no room for one. Don't want sea water as it's too polluted. OK to swim so long as you don't swallow it. Is it ok to drink boiled tap water for tea, coffee etc;?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 02:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 45 in Discussion

Mitsi,

Can I just try to change your thoughts on one point.

"Hard Water" is not bad for your heart - if you search on the web for " Hard water and heart conditions " you will find most of the information reads like: "Hard water 'can cut heart risk'. - DRINKING hard water may protect against heart disease, say researcher"

On one other point artificialy softened water is not good for infants and babies.

Although I sell the gear I would never want you to buy the wrong product and more important for the wrong reasons.

Email me off board and I will be happy to try to help info@softcleanwater.co.uk

keithcaley

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 45 in Discussion

I may be wrong - and I'm sure that someone will rell me if I am! - but 'softened water' (not filtered) is higher in Sodium, due to the salt used in the ion-exchanger thingy.

This makes it 'not good' (I won't say bad!) for your heart doesn't it?

I think that we are supposed to be limiting sodium intake to a maximum of something like 6mg per day.

Comments / corrections please! - I'm quite interested in this...

flightholiday

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 11:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Keith,

There is more than one way to crack a nut and that applies to reducing the effect of the calcium in the water.

The resin tank system is not advised for young children and can have similar effects to those you describe. There areother option that can assist and do not have the problem of disposing of the cleaning solution either.

The reaon I have suggested to Mitsi taking this off board is that it is quite complex and will take at least 2/3 screens to start to explain and assist on.

kibsolar

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 45 in Discussion

you can use a softener for dishwashing purposes, taps and so on

it needs maintenance as well.

but this water is not fine for consumption, see msg 16

you must filter with an RO or other techniques or use bottled water for drinking

thats it, no other way possible.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 45 in Discussion

Kibsolar,

In England there is no manufacturer or supplier who would say you can't drink softened water.

I am checking out the exact facts but the normal retailers statement is "not for people under 18 months" - I always say 24 months but then I'm cautious!

Filtration would be nice but not imperative RO performs a different function.

The electronic units like the Wrappa ( http://waterdial.co.uk/p_liff/phys_scale_wrappa.php) do not have an effect on the drinkability of the water for any users

This is the unit I use and most often suggest in the UK and abroad as it has no deliterious side effects that I know of.

Pipie

Message Posted:
28/11/2008 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 45 in Discussion

re messege 7 Brrezzyboy .

Water cooler with fridge under at Elektrokur £80. Bottled water in 19 litres is for nothing

Please could you tell me where is Elektrokur is situated ? i need one of these

flightholiday

Message Posted:
01/12/2008 15:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 45 in Discussion

The WHO say that sodium is acceptable for drinking water at up to about 440 PPM (I am getting the exact figure).

The water softeners we supply would be hard pressed to exceed 300 PPM (I have been advised on average around 220 PPM dependant on the original calcium problem) - I can't answer for ones that are not from Culligan.

Mitsi as I said if you want answers, help or advice it is better taken off line at info@softcleanwater.co.uk

keithcaley

Message Posted:
01/12/2008 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 45 in Discussion

Thanks for that Tom, as I said, I'm quite interested in this.

Just for the sake of round figures, 250ppm would mean that 2 Litres of softened water a day (reasonable in hot weather) would give about half a mg of Sodium.

That is rather less than I had imagined (on the basis of no knowledge whatsoever!) and armed with the knowledge, I would agree that it should enable you to manage your sodium intake, unless your diet contains a lot of processed items.

However, I can see that someone with a BP problem might still want to choose to avoid softened water in order to get their sodium intake right down.

(I tried putting 'one' in there, instead of 'you' and they' but it looked very silly!)

Thanks again for the figures.

Keith.

ps, I do have one of the electronic gadgets, mine is from Scalewatcher, (not sure if it's quite the same principle), and it certainly helps reduce the problem, although it doesn't actually eliminate it.

K

flightholiday

Message Posted:
02/12/2008 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Keith,

Scalewatcher is probably similar (if it uses radio frequencies).

I have heard through users (not officially) that if you have two units it will improve the efficiency between 30 and 50% so maybe you need another (or you could add one of ours and try it).

On another aspect it might be that yours is not located at an optimum spot as the change that is created in the water is only short term and loses its efficiency on still water. Yet again I would suggest we take this off board so as not too be BB bores.

Tom

keithcaley

Message Posted:
02/12/2008 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 45 in Discussion

OK Tom, have emailed you.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
03/12/2008 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 45 in Discussion

Keith,

Have you had the answer OK?

Tom

keithcaley

Message Posted:
03/12/2008 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 45 in Discussion

yes thanks, digesting the info...

truffles808

Message Posted:
03/12/2008 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 45 in Discussion

Can someone advise where we can get our Fujitsu water cooler serviced / sanitized?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
03/12/2008 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 45 in Discussion

I know nothing about water coolers but two quick thoughts for you:

1] Clean all the vents, fans, cooling coils etc (at last! a use for a feather duster and your "min" vac). Do turn the cooler off and unplug it before doing things like this.

2] If no one else offers any useful thoughts it should be a sealed system when the bottle is in place so may not need to be "sanitised" BUT if it does need it.

Then from experience you should be able to get tablets from a chemist either designed to make water safe (for trips abroad) or to clean babies bottles etc. (dont forget to flush it through after using these solutions).

Peeky

Message Posted:
04/12/2008 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 45 in Discussion

I remember reading in a tourist blurby thing, that Girne drinking water was ok to drink, but it appears from all the posts so far on this thread that this is not the case.

Does anybody know the reason why it cannot be drunk?

Does anyone have a typical breakdown analysis breakdown for the water in the Girne region?

Where does the water come from?

Is it subject to agricultural fertiliser nitrate contamination like in Spain?

Are RO / Ion Exchange systems more economic to run than buying bottled?

flightholiday

Message Posted:
05/12/2008 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Peeky,

Each area can take water from different sources so there is no firm answer.

All I know is that when I'm on the island I am happy to drink water from a tap (when at home in Lapta I filter it but don't consider that so important but the wife prefers it that way and I prefer her happy).

The costs of using a quality RO system are not so high but buying and fitting may be a little prohibitive.

The answers that you might get would probably be personaly biased and few people would have the technical answers so it is down to personal choice.

I sell the gear but would not push it at anyone as to my mind there is no single definitive answer.

jams002

Message Posted:
09/12/2008 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 45 in Discussion

Water filters and dispensers is this safe to use some water filter is did not filtering the water

,_________________

[url= http://www.iaqsource.com/category.php/aprilaire-filters/?category=496/]Aprilaire Furnace Filters[/url]

Harlequin

Message Posted:
09/12/2008 16:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 45 in Discussion

If you want your water tested contact Cyprus Solutions. They can get it done for you.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
09/12/2008 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 45 in Discussion

jams002

A US company that deals with air filters only from what I can see.

Harlequin

In the UK the water board have to preform these tests and on wells streams and other sources it is often the HSE or Environmental Health.

There are test kits available from various suppliers.

In North Cyprus I guess either the water supplier (ask the Mukhta) or central government who should supply information with regard to impurities and bacteria etc. (Honestly I am not sure but whoever you use they must know what they are doing, be qualified - it's your health!)

Harlequin

Message Posted:
09/12/2008 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 45 in Discussion

Of course.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
09/12/2008 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 45 in Discussion

Message 29

For what it's worth, a local advised me that water from the Belediye in each district has to be fit for human consumption - at the point where it is supplied.

So if you drink water direct from the mains supply, it should have been tested and chlorinated as neccessary.

However, as some districts only turn the water on periodically, it is normal practice for each dwelling to store water in a tank (known locally as a 'depot') which may be either below or above ground, and then feed it into a pressurised system using a pump - 'hydrofor' - which supplies both the house and a storage tank on the roof, which can then supply water by gravity, should the electricity supply fail.

The upshot of this is that the water you get from your house taps is likely to have spent 'some time' hanging about in tanks, and as any chlorine originally present in the water will gradually dissipate, it is likely that both tanks and water are not exactly hygenic...

Peeky

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 45 in Discussion

Thanks Keith, that info is worth a lot. Appreciated greatly. Could you ask your local how we can get a typical chemical analysis - including calcium, magnesium, potassium,nitrates etc. The Belediye should have this info.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 45 in Discussion

Keith Msg 35 Thanks as I thought it was the local council (your local supplier) but if the water is tankered in that is not guaranteed as any source might have been used at some point of time.

Personal thoughts - but you have your water tested regarding the following comments:-

Generaly "depot" water should be fine IF it is used on a very regular basis (normal daily domestic family consumption), the depot is "CLEAN" (not just visible contanimants) and is ONLY mains fed. I would prefer to filter mains fed depot water and or maybe even use UV personally as a safeguard. In the UK tank fed with this usage would be considered safe for occasional use but not prefered but in a hotter climate with the other variables of Cyprus I would "err on the side of caution". The above are only my personal thoughts.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 45 in Discussion

Pipie

Sorry only just seen your question. Coming from the roundabout near the new port turn left through the traffic lights and Electrokur is on the right at the next roundabout. If coming from Lapta end it is ion front of you at the last roundabout befo the lights.

We bought all our lighting and some outdoor furniture there, you need to ask for discount but you always get it. Nice people to deal with.

We have similar in our offices so next time the guy cleans them I will watch what he does and what he uses and post it up.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Peeky,

First, as Tom (flightholiday) says, the water may come from more than one source - you would actually need to ask the man in charge at your local Belidiye if this is the case in your area.

Also as Tom says, none of the comments apply to borehole water, as these are generally lower down the slopes, and thus far more susceptible to contamination than the sources normally used by the Belediye.

I have no idea whether the Belediye run any other tests on water apart from bacteriological 'cleanliness', but all you need to do is ask them.

However I have heard that there are places in Girne which will test the water for a fee, so if you have particular concerns, it would pay you to have your own test done, rather than relying on 'second hand' information - even if it is from the Belediye. Remember that this is not UK, and standards of information, as well as water, are variable, so don't trust anyone but yourself!

Keith.

keithcaley

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 45 in Discussion

Peeky,

I forgot to say, you can also test the water in your storage tank(s) for Chlorine content (and hardness if you like) using a standard Pool test kit, and if required add chlorine to maintain the level at about 1ppm, which I seem to remember is UK drinking water standard (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). This should help to keep your water tank(s) and plumbing system sanitised. You can also adjust the PH, which should help to minimise the scale buildup in pipes, kettles, shower heads etc.

Keith.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 45 in Discussion

Keith - I have no knowledge but adjusting the PH would that not involve chemicals which might affect the drinking water?

With regard to tests it is wise to remember that they are only as good as the sample and can be invalid even within a day. (Try a breath test for Alcohol after 2 weeks of abtinence and after a glass of Raki.)

Tom

Turbo

Message Posted:
11/12/2008 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 45 in Discussion

Well worth the investment, if you can get a reverse osmosis fitted under you sink, makes tap water drinkable. Most of the other filters can filter out calcium and unwanted minerals and crap but they cant take out the bacteria, I believe the RO system takes out bacteria too.

Better still if they are available is the heavy duty charcoal filtration system, a 6 foot stanless steel canister canbe buried in the ground can filter the water for the whole house, nice soft clean incredible drinking water. totally automatic, backwashes once a month.

Here is some info on RO systems: http://www.purelyculligan.com/stored0d4.html?pid=15369

and a lot more info on the different types of sytems , what will filter what: http://heartspring.net/water_filters_guide.html

flightholiday

Message Posted:
11/12/2008 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 45 in Discussion

Hi Turbo

purleyculligan - is the American parent of Culligan in the UK you may also want to look at

http://www.waterdial.co.uk and http://www.culligan.co.uk both are their web sites.

RO is fine it is complex but UV and filtration should be considered - it seems to usually be what is required by the authorities for springs and boreholes in the UK. on culligan or softcleanwater look for FP20N which can produce up to 8 ltrs of water a minute.

Dont forget you only need these things where people are drinking the water. In some countries i.e. Egypt they say you should not use tap water to clean your teeth.

I will not suggest where to buy Culligan products (they tell me) at the best prices.

abacus

Message Posted:
21/01/2009 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 45 in Discussion

I know the Property Centre deal with ro systems their telephone number is 8213141

flightholiday

Message Posted:
21/01/2009 20:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 45 in Discussion

Before buying an RO sytem (reverse osmosis) you need to know what they do and how they do it you also want to have a very competent installer who reads instructions.

Ther is one currently available from Culligan that we have on our site and a link to get further information too. Culligan are about to bring one out that is a budget unit so hold on.

In my view a UV unit and good filtration will nearly always suffice for a lot less and easier (cheaper) instalation too.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.