North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sorry to sound morbid,but i need to know about burials in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sorry to sound morbid,but i need to know about burials in TRNC

Sorry to sound morbid,but i need to know about burials in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

vonny

Message Posted:
23/10/2011 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi,my husband is a turkish cypriot,and we would like to be buried in the same cemetary,hopefully not at the same time or in the near future,but,can i be buried in a muslim cemetary if im not a muslim?or would i be buried somewhere else away from my husband?

Donaldson

Message Posted:
23/10/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

I suggest you contact the British Cemetery Committee. The number is on the info page (P28) of Cyprus Today.

Marion

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

It would be a good idea to talk to a loca lImam. surely it should be only right and proper that you are in the same cemetery, and I rather think tha tyou need to talk to a Muslim leader rather than BRS - unless of course your husband would be happy to be buried in the British cemetery. Only the British cemetery committee can answer that one. Better still, tlak to both to see what is the best thing for you both - British or Muslim final resting place.

Oh, and I wonder if you would be kind enough to post your findings on here, as I am sure there are others who are curious about the answer to this.

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Vonny, Christians cannot be buried in the same graveyard as a Muslim according to Islam however, there is an basis of debate that non Muslims should, if they chose, (perhaps pre-declared) be accorded an Islamic burial. In rural areas this is possible (I know from first hand experience.) It might be an idea to speak to an Imam to see what your options are for the very,very distant future.

vonny

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Thank you for your advice,i think its the imam i need to speak to.i have been told by the locals i can become a muslim,although im not religious.but i would need to take a muslim first name,but i want MY name on the grave,There are many mixed marrages in cyprus and they have children born here,i really dont want to be in a British cemetary. marion,if i find out anymore,i'll let you know

nurseawful

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Vonny,

Not 100% sure but is there not an international cemetery here where anyone can be buried?

Chris

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

I believe the Foreign Residents Society have a cemetery. Mainly Brits and Germans I think.

Sorry dont hve contact details but they post notices from time time in Cyprus Today and probably have a Website.

vonny

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

it would be good if there is an international cemetery if my husband could still be buried in his traditional way,i dont know what kind of funeral i would get though,i do prefer to be buried the muslim way ,id be happy to become a muslim but i dont want my name to be changed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.