North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are there any satisfied owners in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are there any satisfied owners in North Cyprus

Are there any satisfied owners in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 88 in Discussion

Having read a lot of posts on this forum about purchasing in North Cyprus, developers, estate agents and advocates - there seems to be a majority of very unhappy people for one reason or another...I have read all the posts so no need to repeat again.

However surely there are many out there who have had a positive experience when buying either new, off plan or resale. Maybe there are some who have dealt with very good estate agents, developers, private sellers or advocates. Some people must have had PTP approved, received deeds and never regretted the decision to invest. Are they the silent majority? If so I would like to hear from them to try and get a balanced view of the North Cyprus property purchasing experience.

We are looking to buy so if you are you out there and have a great experience and never regretted purchasing please restore our faith!

Or maybe it all doom and gloom and we really should look elsewhere

Cheers

wynyardman

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 88 in Discussion

Yes. that is in the case of Exchange Land, and until the Greeks come and ask for their land back.!

wyn

ttoli

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 88 in Discussion

I'm one of the lucky few, not regretted my decision for a minute, I bought Off plan and was lucky even if the Title Deeds did take 5 years to appear, You do have to adapt to living here and not expect the locals to adapt to you, It's their country after all.

spider

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 88 in Discussion

Even the renters are not safe over here with the fear of evictions looming !

Home owners become landlord in the hope of gaining some form of return of investment and its not even safe... apparently once the banks get their teeth in they just turn up and change the locks !

Can happen any day ! what do you do...fight it all the way ! and still come out having lost !

Keep what you have already !

Spider,X

dizzycows

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 88 in Discussion

Hi PoshinDevon, no of course its not all doom and gloom, we bought our villa in 2006, had no problems with estate agent or getting our Kocan,.

We bought a resale, it was a new build but bought because we simply love N.Cyprus!

There are many who have been caught out, but there are many like us who haven't. We don't really think of it as an investment but a way of life for us.. We still live in GB in Devon, but think of NC as our retreat and a treat to ourselves.

Cant wait to get over again for our month which we take 3 times a year.

We love the quiet and the beautiful country side, we also like to travel around the villages to explore.

Neither of us are into the pub or bar life, so we give this a miss, but there are loads of things to see and do.

We do not regret buying.. Why should we, as like many others its been fine with us...

nurseawful

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 88 in Discussion

As a home owner here in TRNC I am more than happy, deeds in place and no problems with builder.

Bought in 2004 95% finished build and was ready when we requested. Estate agent was Unwins .. no complaints!

Chris

newlad

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 88 in Discussion

P.T.P. wasnt a problem,neither where the deeds.But then Carrington are a very good company.Homework,homework,and more homework Devon.Best of luck,

Paul.

Bradus

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 88 in Discussion

Of course its not all doom and gloom. Many are very happy with their purchase and quality of life. However there are few that would and could, come onto this forum and give you the news you so desperately want to hear....... a guarantee that you will buy without problems. Your choice of Estate Agent, Developer, Private seller or Advocate is only a small part of the equation when buying in North Cyprus.

If your method of gauging whether or not to buy centres on a simplistic comparison of happy buyers versus unhappy buyers, you really do need to do some more research, in particular the current laws of the TRNC which offer no protection to buyers.

You tend to find that the majority of happy buyers or problem free buyers, bought more than 5 years ago. It's good that you are asking all these questions. Get as much information as possible and you can then make an informed decision. Good Luck.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 88 in Discussion

I agree newlad, homework, homework and more homework! but you will still need "The Best of Luck"

Always remember "No Deeds No Money"!

Would you buy a home in Devon that couldn't produce the deeds when you paid your money?

dizzycows

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 88 in Discussion

Sounds like when the banks take over houses etc here in GB too, they hold the deeds then ! ....

Nothing in this world is 100% safe, any thing can happen, but do think there are quite a few happy people who have bought, I know our close neighbours in NC are happy as are another just a field away...

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 88 in Discussion

Hi Dizzycows

Thanks for a bit of positivity - I am not even bothering to read the negative stuff as its the same old sounds churned out again and again. No doubt some have a genuine reason to be upset but I have read all of it and hence now want a balanced view.

W too live in Devon...obvious really I suppose. Love getting to N Cyprus and the great lifestyle. For us its not about investing to make a killing, its about investing to enjoy what we have on the island.

Cheers

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 88 in Discussion

Bradus

It is not as simplistic as happy v unhappy buyers, it was just a request to hear from those who have had a positive experience purchasing in N Cyprus.

Fed up reading no deeds no money so will ignore - someone's else's problems I cannot solve.

I can assure everyone that having grown up, lived and worked on the island for a number of years plus holidayed many many times we are well aware of that things are very often not as they seem. We are doing our homework and whilst we do plan to view early next year, we are in no rush - if it ain't right we will not proceed but will go home, search and try again.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 88 in Discussion

Well, thats good to hear, there are plenty of places to look before you buy, enjoy what ever you decide to do...

All the very best ...

GinaC

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 88 in Discussion

Plenty but you won't find many of them posting on here.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 88 in Discussion

On just a note like we did, we bought from someone that already had the kocan for the land, so all it needed was a transfer of names which took about 16mths, the villa was already built on the land by this owner... Hope this bit of info is of use .....

It didnt take long for PTP either, all went very smoothly...

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
24/10/2011 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 88 in Discussion

Poshindevon (mess 12)

I would go home to Devon search and search and search again for somewhere that can produce deeds to your new home (wherever that maybe)! when you give your hard earned money!

I am not negative just honest!

The roulette wheel that dizzycows used may not come up black/red for YOU

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 88 in Discussion

TRNC Victim - I am sorry if things did not go well for you, as your name suggests you are obviously unhappy and you appear all over this forum especially when it comes to purchasing property. You have made your point - I have listened and will choose to ignore.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 88 in Discussion

Dizzycows re msg 15 - thats the way we intend to go if at all possible.

Many thanks

HildySmith

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 88 in Discussion

Oh dear!!

What a pity!!

How Sad!!

Never mind!!!

If you only want to listen to what you want to here - you will need more than good luck!!!

I wish I had rented here and not bought. My rent a wonderful property for a very modest rent and have no compaints about it. Love it!!!!

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 02:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 88 in Discussion

I have a positive story to tell but I (like many ) waited many years for my Kocan. I would listen to negative as well as positive stories, in order to appreciate, that it's a bit of a lottery when it comes to property purchase here . My best advise would be, not to put all your eggs in one basket, only risk what you can afford to lose, it is a gamble !!! but if it pays off, you will win BIG, not just from the monetary aspect but also from a quality of life one. Good Luck to you !

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 09:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 88 in Discussion

HildySmith You have missed the point. I have said in my first posting I have read countless messages about bad experiences buying a property in N Cyprus. I have taken on board all the comments about bad experiences and noted. I dont need to read again. They have been useful in highlighting areas to look out for whether that be builders, estate agents, advocates or developers.

Its about research at the moment and all I am trying to understand is the other side of the story, those who have had a positive experience. There are some out there.

EamonnMc -wise words - have thought long and hard, its about having a place we can enjoy for holidays over the years and when time permits spend longer periods across in Cyprus. Yes it is an investment but we feel that the money we would have spent on holidays over the years will be put to better use. We may rent out but we are not out to make a quick killing which is why I feel some are so negative! Will spend only what we can afford..good ad

walkerscott

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 88 in Discussion

http://www.no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com/#/polls/4544350788

any research results much appreciated ...

Kibrislaker

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 88 in Discussion

PoshinDevon

If you would like to email me at kibrislaker@hotmail.co.uk . I have a property with pre 1974 Turkish title deeds (have Kocan and deeds for building in my name) I am British and about to put my house on the market. If you are interestd

Roomy

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 88 in Discussion

Lived and holidayed here all of his/her life, read all the negatives and chooses to ignore them, now only wants to hear good things before he/she buys.

This is the kind of punter that has the agents rubbing their hands with anticipation and glee.

You can't fool all the people all of the time...etc.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 88 in Discussion

Ah but Roomy some love the thrill of a gamble, and want to prove they can beat the odds

Wibow

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 88 in Discussion

We bought off plan in 2004 from Unwins Estate Agents NO PROBLEM

Our builder told us exactly what to expect from him

He even took us to see the workmanship on a villa he was already building in Bellapais

He was true to his word

everything was done on time plus electric, water was already installed to our villa before we moved in

It did take us a long while to get our Kocan and we have just got our parcelisation through

so we are very HAPPY. Top builder and a Top man NO REGRETS

Roomy

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 88 in Discussion

A lot has changed in the last few years, I would bet the family jewels that finding anyone buying in the TRNC in the last year or so without problems is like finding hens teeth.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 88 in Discussion

I give up - I have read the negatives but who is saying I am ignoring them. Msg 21 refers. Its about research to get a full understanding.

It is clear that some on here did little or no research and are now venting their frustration by saying its all doom and gloom.

Agents rubbing hands in glee - I think not. If we are not 100% satisfied then we will walk away. Unlike some who are easily duped after a 2 week holiday in the sun and a couple of Efes beers.

Think the thread has run its course for me. Best wishes to the moaners, thanks for all the comments you have made they have all been noted and I am sure will be very useful in the future. To the more positive out there thanks as well.

martinD41

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 88 in Discussion

Wibow msg26.."He even took us to see the Workmanship"..that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.

Roomy

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 88 in Discussion

It's easy to ignore what you don't want to hear, I would also bet the family jewels that there are far more dissatisfied 'never be allowed to be home owners in TRNC' than satisfied home owners in TRNC unless of course you include Turkish Cypriots or Turkish expats in your question.

You will do whatever it is you are going to do without any input from anyone here.

Good luck.

martinD41

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 88 in Discussion

msg28 "It's all about research"....Its also about Build Quality.....

Here is an example of the "Building Methods" used here ie Concrete reinforced frame form..and it's "well researched weaknesses, most houses here are not even weather proof.......homework doesn't always help..

http://www.nienhuys.info/mediapool/49/493498/data/Earthquake_and_Concrete_Construction_Failures.pdf.

martinD41

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 88 in Discussion

sorry this one http://www.nienhuys.info/mediapool/49/493498/data/Earthquake_and_Concrete_Construction_Failures.pdf

aruzhan

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 88 in Discussion

We bought from Unwins, never had any problems. Our builder is one of the most reputable on the island.

We are happy !

Bradus

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 88 in Discussion

I find it insulting that PoshinDevon implies that those who were victims did not do their homework and bought after a two week holiday and some Effes! Statements like this just show that you put the blame on the buyer and not the country. Even if you bought without research, surely your advocate would have prevented you from making mistakes? After all they do owe you a duty of care don't they? Or do they in the TRNC?

It is the law that does not protect you and the conveyancing procedure. It leaves you at the mercy of the Builder and Advocate, you are putty in the wrong hands should problems arise. You can ignore all the experiences people are willing to share with you and concentrate on the positives but in doing so you increase your risk. I know you are angry that some have marred your dream of an home in the sun but they are doing this to stop you from being victim number 10,001. Don't be defensive look on the comments as helping you reach the right decision.

crofter

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 88 in Discussion

Having lived in the TRNC for over 9 years now we very happy here.

During this time we have bought two properties from Unwins Estate Agents and have had no problems whatsoever with the build of the villas we bought or the service that we received from Unwins. Our Kocan[s] came through with no hassle.

Ok, we do accept that we have been lucky considering all the problems that so many have had.

Our family have now relocated to the TRNC and they have had no problems with their purchase, their property or getting their Kocan.

blade

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 88 in Discussion

We purchased our place from Unwins, it was a resale property pre 74 Turkish title, without problem.

Used Akan Gurken of Gurken & Gurken solicitors who did a great job. On exchange of our money he held the kochan until ptp was recieved, which when buying is a must.

From PTP application it took 18 months max for us to get our kochan.

We have had many happy years here and i don't regret a thing.

We are looking to sell now as we are both under retirement age.We feel the restrictions of living here are holding us back a little in life. Its a great life style and place to live just not for the ambitious.

But please do take note of what Bradus says, we have lots of friends and customers who have not be so fortunate as we have.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 88 in Discussion

The negative posts should be deleted from this thread - they are off topic - the op asked for positive and the negatives have had their say elsewhere.

I bought in the 90s. Had lived here before, and spent two years renting to get to know people , customs etc., andwhm I could trust and not trust.

I bought old house direct from a Cypriot who got it on the points system. Estate Agent, Solicitor and builder (for renovations) looked after my interests. The builder ws expensive but did good work and came back to make good defects without question. You gets what you pay for! I always knew it was a calculated risk regarding safety of title internationally, and no-one tried to tell me otherwise. Cutting my coat according to my cloth, I did not expect a luxury villa for what I could afford, and am still making improvements as and whenI save enough. On balance is has been fun.

girne 29

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 88 in Discussion

Bradus

Dont be conned. How many threads do we get like this

This is just another thread trying to promote property in TRNC hence the 'only good stories wanted'.

You dont see stories of people being ripped off in estate agents websites do you? Same here.

I am going to start a thread ' I think that unprotected sex is 100% safe, so I want everybody who has had no problems to give me their stories ,to back up what I believe' I dont want any stories from people who have had a problem with a std etc.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 88 in Discussion

Now if you ask me what I think about the way I was cheated by Estate Agents and Solicitors over my house in the UK, or how my life style is being ruined by the newcomers with their unrealistic expectations and attempts to change the country to Little Blighty in the sun the answer would definitely be negative.

however Blades penultimate point is a good one. I did work when I first came here, but it was to supplemnt other income to fund renovations. It would have been tough living entirely on what I earned! And it is harder still now. Not really for the ambitious or those who do not have a living income from elsewhere.

shel56

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 88 in Discussion

We bought off plan in 2004 through Ian Smith . We did our homework on him and land issues as well. We had no problem getting our permission to purchase and we bought pre74 international title land. We've had our Kocan now almost 3 years as well. The build had some issues but the developer didn't leave us high and dry he made good and last year we had the villa extended for us by Kamal at Hedron and he did an absolutely fantastic job - on time and price as agreed. We couldn't find any fault with anything he did and snagging was non exsistent. We went with recommendations from friends for quality etc that was more important to us than cost.

All in all we haven't experienced any problems maybe a few frustrations but you would get them anywhere, it is a beautiful country and the people are friendly as well, we've lived in a number of countries over the years and can honestly say this is one of the best.

Hope this helps.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 88 in Discussion

My advice (and it has been givenby others on other threads) is that apart from the property question,, living here happily and successfully means a lot of adjustment - it is not for everyone. Rent your house in the UK (IF you can find a reliable Estate Agent there!) and rent here - then if you dont like it you can go back and notmake everyone else's life miserable.

Jonesy299

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 88 in Discussion

Re the title of this thread - I am very very happy (Estate Agent was Borays / local builder who had built my mother's house years before and made a fantastic job of it/ Naomi Mehmet was my advocate / deeds in hand / enjoying my property.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 88 in Discussion

Thanks to all for the responses - as I have said many times I have searched this forum and found many threads about the things that can go wrong with property purchase in N Cyprus and have noted all and it has been in some cases very informative. The reason for starting this thread was to hear from those who have had a positive experience and maybe they could give a few pointers and advice. Unfortunately the same people who have posted on other threads about their bad experiences felt the need to come back onto this thread and repeat themselves again. Re message 38 I am not trying to promote anything, I am just doing the research. We are not in a position to rent UK and live/rent N Cyprus.

Whilst I understand some people feel hard done by, conned and frustrated it is also good to know that there are those who have had a positive experience. At the end of the day its our money and our choice, we may buy we may not and will not be pressurised one way or the other.Thanks again.

mamachina

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 15:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 88 in Discussion

Got our kocan within weeks of the PTP coming through (second house), first one did take a lot longer, but time does go by quite quickly and we did get it! Happy with agent and reasonably content with builder, tho' 2nd house had been built 2 years tho never lived in, and had a kocan already. So all in all, content!

Wibow

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 88 in Discussion

MartinD41

When i said workmanship thats exactly what i meant

ie: the build and the finish of the villa

Could not fault his work

So we knew what to expect

Pleased to say NO PROBLEMS

theres not a lot of people living here can say that.

martinD41

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 88 in Discussion

Wibow msg45...I am glad YOU are happy with the workmanship, and it's true that not a lot of people here can say that... .......

I guess some peoples standards are higher than others.... lol

Lemtich

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 20:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 88 in Discussion

I bought off plan from Kavanlar in 2005 through Unwins, my Advocate was Munir Akil, the Kavanlar rep was Ilker Metin. I did incur an extra £1000 cost towards a site electricity transformer which wasn't in the contract and received no compensation for late delivery except an extra aircon unit. However, I picked up my Kocan from the Tapu Office in August 2011 after buying a large bar of Cadburys Fruit & Nut and giving it to the lady clerk there. I know and have read various bad press against all these participants in the sale process but at the end of the day, the sale was completed and the property is great.

Turtle

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 88 in Discussion

Simular story as you Lem, a few early hiccups but all completed now with water, leccy and Kochan all in place.

My only regret is I can't spend more time there.

Good luck the lady from Devon (not you dizzy ..) hope everything falls into place & works out.

essexboy

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 88 in Discussion

N.Cyprus is a beautifull place it can be everything you want or as some will confess, a nightmare. It is about getting a good quality lawyer to advise you. I have had a lovely home there since 2002 and have had no problems although my main stipulation was to purchase turkish title deeds. Dont let other peoples experiences put you off there are a lot of happy expats living there. If you wish i could give you the name of the lawyer i used.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 88 in Discussion

essexboy...yes please can I have name of lawyer - any helpful tips appreciated

email: themiddletonnuthouse@btinternet.com

thks

HildySmith

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 88 in Discussion

There are lots of happy home owners but a lot of them do not realise the situation they are in.

If they do not have their Kocans - THEY DO NOT OWN THEIR HOME!!!

Many home owners I have spoke to were unaware of this they think because they have lived in their homes for 5, 6, ? years that they are safe

THEY ARE NOT!!

NO KOCANS - then you own nothing!!!!!!!

wynyardman

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 88 in Discussion

Hildy Smith, msg51

As you say there are many happy home owners who live in the TRNC without their kochans.

YOU ARE CORRECT under TRNC law they have NOTHING and their homes are vunerable to motgages and

memoranda. WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CLEAR IS THAT EVEN IF THEY DO HAVE THEIR KOCHANS and their

property is on "Exchange Land" the Freehold status of their land will not be determined until there is a

settlement to The Cyprus Problem.

wyn

Cocklebay

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 88 in Discussion

Message 3 we totally agree with your sentiments, especially '"it's their country after all."" So well said!

Bradus

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 88 in Discussion

I'm sure there will be some very happy buyers today.

One of the first builders to mortgage land and double sell, is finally behind bars.Well done TUTUSKA residents.

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 88 in Discussion

Bradus, are you saying that Tutuska is behind bars?

Bradus

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 88 in Discussion

According to Pembe one of his many victims, he is. Posted on Stop the Blackmail. Unfortunately not for his property scams.

walkerscott

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 88 in Discussion

http://www.no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com/

jimchris09

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 88 in Discussion

I think I have posted on a similar topic a few months ago. I bought a place in Karmi on a 25 year lease. I am very happy. Thank you and goodnight!

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 88 in Discussion

Bradus (mess 56)

Oh! so like Al Capone, or Gary Robb, (either for Drug or Tax Offences) not for offenses against honest human beings!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 88 in Discussion

not for offenses against honest human beings!

That's a very good comment TRNCvictim.

Shall we sort out the offences\crimes the world had commited and carry on commiting to turkish CYPRIOTS?........or do we have to sort out the basic human rights first?

no smilies(can't be asked to be two faced)

"Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow!"

AsifH

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 00:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 88 in Discussion

its good to see some nice comments.

Atleast i can say that some of us at Unwin,Carrington,Boray and kavanlar have done good jobs.

good to see happy clients.

welldone guys

hattikins

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 88 in Discussion

We are more than satisfied with our home, we had a reliable builder who became a good friend to us. We paid in stages as the house was being built and it was completed on time, we got our land kocan within a few months and now have a full kocan showing the details of the property.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 88 in Discussion

I am happy. I have my kochan and so have my two English, four TC and two Turkish neighbours.

I accept that I have been lucky. I was guided by a very switched on intermediary.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 88 in Discussion

Hi ilovecyprus

Msg 63 - Any advice as to who guided you..would be good to know. Do you mean a good advocate, if so again would be good to know who.

Thks

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 88 in Discussion

msge 64

Have contacted you via e-mail

RedAlabama

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 88 in Discussion

We're happy, bought a resale 3 years ago but is only a holiday home. Would not sell up in the UK and buy in TRNC, or anywhere else abroad for that matter.

No regrets - so far.....

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 88 in Discussion

RedAlabama

re msg 66

Many thanks...this is exactly what we want to do. No intention of selling up in the UK, just holidays for us, family and friends.

Whilst it started slowly it is nice to hear of some positive experiences.

Will still be very careful tho!

mozgor

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 88 in Discussion

Hi PoshinDevon - think it's a case that those who are unhappy are inclined to be more vocal. We bought in Kayalar in 2006 and had our first holiday in Sept 2007 after taking possession of our house in May 2007. We love our house, had no problems with either the builder, solicitor, estate agent or getting our kocan - lucky maybe or did we just choose a reputable builder, estate agent and solicitor? We are intending to move over within the next couple of years, but will keep our property in the UK as a security blanket.

Hector

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 88 in Discussion

'We are intending to move over within the next couple of years, but will keep our property in the UK as a security blanket.'

Very wise.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 88 in Discussion

John Msg 1 - I think that you will find a large number who are happy (many who are not seen on CY44). There are a small number who are not happy or who have lost on their purchase/dream and often their unhappiness is with good cause.

At present there are some people returning to the UK (there always have been) so you might want to look at buying a resale as they are generally less prone to problems (at least if they have a Kocan (deed)).

Bradus

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 88 in Discussion

Flightholiday,

according to recent research there are 10.000 with problems. Hardly a small number. Biggest problem identified as developers not transferring deeds or poor quality builds and 1400 with memorandums.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 88 in Discussion

As I said at the outset, I have read many posts on other threads about those people who have purchased and experienced problems. I fully understand that things can go wrong and have spent a long time reading about their problems and understanding how they came about. Where these people have offered sensible advice I have duly noted it.

I then wondered if it was all doom and gloom or maybe there were people who have had a positive experience and wanted to hear what they had to say and take on board any advice they had to offer - hence starting this thread. Whilst it has been hijacked a little by those wanting to repeat again their bad experiences I am glad to read that perphaps the silent majority are happy. Again there has been lots of useful advice and from this we have managed to narrow down a shortlist of builders, estate agents, advocates and developers who seem to offer a much better product and experience. Thank you to everyone and we will be out early 2012 to view. Cheers

HildySmith

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 88 in Discussion

Yes!!!!

Met one today he has the same Advocate as Us and he is Delighted with the way he has handled the transactions.

Wish I had gone there sooner!!!!!!

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 88 in Discussion

Any chance of the advocates name - if he is any good its worth putting name on file..email is in msg 50.

tomsteel

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 88 in Discussion

Msg 71 - Well pointed out Bradus. There are also TC and Turks being ripped off as well and I guess these do not figure within the 10,000 you mention. The problem stems from the very top of the TRNC Government who do not have the will to grip this issue, as they are in debt to the local banks, family members of judiciary, developers and everybody else involved in the property market here. Best advice, and I wish I had followed it, rent - DO NOT buy!

halffull

Message Posted:
27/10/2011 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 88 in Discussion

We bought here, and live here very happily thank you, bought off plan, Unwins were the estate agent, no problem, very helpful.

Now have Kocan, lots of friends (mostly Cyptiot or Turkish!) Don't belong to the pub culture, and love my life here, only go back to UK when forced to (fuerals and weddings), family love visiting.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 88 in Discussion

halffull

Unwins obviously keep abreast of the current situation "No Problem"

tomsteel

You are so right RENT DO NOT BUY! Live the rest of your life in PEACE!

katjusha

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 01:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 88 in Discussion

I bought off plan, but now the apartment is finished, so feel happy, just applied for the title deed, I payed money to the lawyer, but some of my friends who live in North Cyprus told me recently I could apply myself, was no need to pay, so I could save £1000. Also make some research abouth the company you are buying from, make sure they have no loans against the project. Check which title deed you are gonna get. So think positive, and everything will be fine, as it can be hundrets of people with different opinons on the same subject, especially on the hot subject as current one )))

HildySmith

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 88 in Discussion

Good for you - you chose an apartement that only takes one building and lots of money

Not like these silly people (like me and my would-be neighbours) who wanted a building to themselves - HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!!!!

TheSaints

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 88 in Discussion

We are extremely satisfied, we bought in Dec 2009 granted we bought a new build which was completed we saw what we were buying as we stood in the completed home which we bought as we would never consider buying offplan anywhere.

We purchased through Unwins who were very good everything went smoothly without any problems at all, we obained our PTP in December 2010 and the shared Kochan in April 2011 parcelisation is complete now and individual kochans are being processed at the moment.

hattikins

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 88 in Discussion

Re Message 78

When we applied for our full Kocan we did it at the land registery office with help from the staff in there, we paid the grand sum of 99TL for this, we then paid a company in Lapta £200 for the survey required and we now have our full Kocan. Friends of ours have used an Advocate costing almost £1000 and still they are waiting for their Kocan, it really is quite simple to do it yourself without paying out loads of money.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 88 in Discussion

Question for the posting in msg 81. Some advice please - presume that once you had completed the purchase and received PTP you then went to the land registry to apply for the Kocan? You then mention a survey - is this something that needs to be completed for all properties before the Kocan is issued?

Does it make any difference if the property we buy is a re-sale and already has Kocan in owners name but will require transferring once PTP is granted? Just trying to understand how the survey fits in and whether we could also sort the Kocan out ourselves when it gets to that stage.

Help is appreciated.

katjusha

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 88 in Discussion

Regarding Hildysmith message, just be positive, the deal on my apartment was fair considering to the prices around, and the complex is great!!!!

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 88 in Discussion

Katjusha - Many thanks. The thread is asking for information from those who have had a positive experience - I have read all about the bad experiences on other threads and dont need to read again, so willignore.

Glad you are pleased with your apartment - we hope it will be the same for us.

Bradus

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 88 in Discussion

To help you gain that "positive experience" can I suggest you look at the Home Buyers Pressure Group. This is a very helpful site that gives good information on the TRNC buying procedure and the paperwork and costs involved. It will take you step by step through the buying process and give you lots of information about Advocates, PTP and Registration of your Contract.

If you read all this information you will also get some useful information about which sites to avoid. This is important because those properties that tend to be very cheap are often the ones that are in trouble and owners are desperately trying to cut their loss and move on.

Marian the founder of HBPG does some excellent work in steering buyers through the buying process and has sessions at the Pia Bella Hotel every Tuesday. Can I suggest you call when you visit Cyprus? I'm sure you will find it useful.

PoshinDevon

Message Posted:
28/10/2011 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 88 in Discussion

Bradus

re msg 85

Confirm that we have been looking on the HBPG site since we first started thinking about buying a property last August - agree that the information on the site is invaluable and we noted the sessions in the Pia Bella hotel. I have no doubt we will attend one of these sessions when we finally arrive in Cyprus - we may make contact beforehand to see if questions that we have can be answered to try and make sure that as far as possible we are as prepared as we can be.

Thanks for the tip.

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
29/10/2011 03:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 88 in Discussion

I have one with deeds, and two without not such a big issue in 2006 when i bought. Oh and one with a £18,000 deposit paid and no work done. Could cost around £5,000 to sue. Fingers burnt but hey as my Grandad used to say Sh8t happens but nobody has dided

Bradus

Message Posted:
29/10/2011 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 88 in Discussion

Even if you sue message 87 will you get your money returned? Not many have been successful. It WAS a big issue in 2006 but people, in an effort to promote the construction industry, were tending to dismiss the non-deed issue by suggesting it was just the Cyprus way and that you were safe as long as you had a contract. When buyers found that the contract was not worth the paper it was written on, the Government introduced the Registration of Contracts. Again everyone jumped on the band wagon telling new buyers it was now safe to buy only to find out a few months down the line it had more holes than a sieve and mortgages on properties were simply changed for memorandums.

Glad you have such a positive attitude. Your Grandad is absolutely right, enjoy the one you have and your time in the TRNC.

What would you have done differently if you could turn back the clock?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.