North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are you diabetic - what do you like to eat?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are you diabetic - what do you like to eat?

Are you diabetic - what do you like to eat?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

Pippie

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

I have lots of friends with diabetes and when they visit I never know what to give them to nibble on.

I've bought diabetic helva from a shop in Nicosia but it doesn't always appeal to everyone.

If you are diabetic, what would you like a friend to offer you to eat when you visit them?

ianwfs

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

The advice I had from both the health professionals is to not bother with the branded "specially for diabetics" products. They're expensive, and frequently have other ingredients that are not all that good for you. It's much better to look at the labels and watch the sugar content.

As far as general eating is concerned, the diabetes charity have suggested recepies on their web site, as well as many information sheets.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Recipes/

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

I am insulin dependent diabetic. If I visit anyone and I am offered nibbles or even a sit down meal then I just use common sense. A little of what you fancy does you good. Diabetes is a low sugar regime not a no sugar regime.

Turtle

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Mr Vince is exactly right

Diabetic's enjoy a normal eating regime and any diabetic eating out will know what his/her limitations are and eat accordingly.

Pippie

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks for your replies but I mustn't have explained my dilemma properly. I'm trying to play the proper hostess here.

If I have a diabetic person visit me, what are good things to offer on the table for them to nibble on. I know the diabetic person is probably going to exercise their own good judgement but it's no good if everything I set down is full of too much sugar.

What I want to know is what a diabetic person might fancy to nibble on that is 'allowed'.

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Everything is allowed. We are not sentenced to be deprived of munchies. Crisps are tasty but make everyone fat, biscuits are crunchy but are full of sugar and fat, nuts can give you allergies, ....

If you invite me over to your place then I am partial to pork chops, I like Mardo's ice cream, I love home made soup. In other words put out what you like to munch, if the person with diabetes does not like what is served then you will find that we are human and polite and will probably not grass you up to the P C police

AllyTT

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 17:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

If you want to play the proper hostess, do exactly as Mr Vince says - just put out whatever you normally would. Personally I hate when people start offering "diabetic" products or planning the menu around us thinking that all sugar is off limits.

Pippie

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

My hubby is diabetic and hates it too if it revolves around him... He eats most things in moderation, and knows what is high in sugar so would only take a little ie cakes etc.

Im his worst enemy really, I wont let him have second helpings of scrummy sweets,.... I eat his share ...

Oxoners

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

I am an insulin controlled diabetic, and the advice I would give is try to offer low carb food, as it is the carbs that causes blood sugar to rise. http://www.calorieking.com is a good resource for checking carb content in most foods. As previous poster have pointed out we can eat anything in moderation but it is difficult when eating at other peoples houses as sometimes you don't know what has been used to prepare a dish, so you would help by just keeping in mind the low carb rule. Hope this helps.

Pippie

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks Oxoners, that is a help. Although I appreciate everything everyone has said, it would just make me feel a little happier knowing that I'm trying to do something to help. I'll try a mix of allsorts!

Hector

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Pippie

Thank you for asking the question and for caring.

All I would add is that as a diabetic losing weight or maintaining what you have hopefully lost is a constant battle for me. Being over weight is a big factor in diabetes control. As others have rightly said, diabetics will avoid too much sugary food/drink. I always go for sugar free drinks like Coke Zero or light.

Thanks again for asking the question.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.