North Cyprus Tourist Board - TRNC Shopkeepers' Logic
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TRNC Shopkeepers' Logic

TRNC Shopkeepers' Logic

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

I stopped at the Blue Song market on the Lapta strip and among other things I asked for a carton of Silk Cut. He charges me 90tl for the carton when behind him I could clearly see the price per packet was 7.5tl. I pointed this out and he told me that he didn't carry enough stock to be selling cartons so he muct charge me a premium - buy 10 and pay for 12. I declined his generous offer.

So then I carried on to Starlings where the manager told me that they were now no longer selling cartons because they don't carry enough stock. I pointed out that if I came every day and bought 2 packets then I would be buying exactly the same number of cigarettes over the same period of time because if I buy a carton I will not be back for a week. "Yes" he said "but 2 packets every day is not against policy".

I gave up and bought 2 packets - next time I will go to Ileli.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

@ msg 1, JJ: (...) next time I will go to Ileli. (...)

▶ Forget it, JJ. Staff at Ileli told me that their provider had a problem with the Government and didn't deliver anymore.

P.S. No stock to see where I used to see all brands.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Ileli gave me 2 packets Marlborough Lights from under the counter this afternoon.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

@ msg 3, mikelapta: Yes - but I couldn't buy my usual two cartons. The difference between two packets and two cartons is... yeah...

mikelapta

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 19:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Hans I am but a poor Welshman,not a rich Dutchman,and cannot afford cartons.Only in Duty Free in Ercan after my away trips !!!!

ttoli

Message Posted:
25/10/2011 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Well somethings going on , Normally Winston Blue are 6.25 TL, the smaller shops , have hiked it up to 7.75, but Starlings Karakum and Erdener are still charging the lower price(Incidentally Starlings Karakum are selling Cartons).

breezyboy

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Time to give up guys and get healthy!!

Sorry couldn't resist it

nemo1985

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

The prices are going to go up to 9tl per pack. You will find nearly everywhere that they are low on cigarettes. Apparently they are last stock before the 9tl stock comes in although some places have started selling at 9th already. I would go into a small Market for cigarettes.

Breezyboy you are right time to quit

flossie44

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

I once went to a post mortem where the person had died through a smoking related illness. Their lungs were like black treacle, horrendous. Perhaps instead of a health warning there should be a picture of smokers lungs on every packet!!

flossie

dizzycows

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Flossie, if only they would put this on packets, my mother towards the end of her life because of smoking would cough up black goo, her lungs were shot out and just couldn't get the air in, it was a horrendous way to die...

So come on guys, give it a go, give it up and live a little longer and not have to die of a dreadful lung disorder...

Geoff

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 16:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Re Msgs 9 and 10. What has all that got to do with the subject of this thread?

What you say might be valid comment, but NOT for this thread.

If you wanna rabbit on about the dangers of smoking then start your own new thread!

If you do, be sure to mention the dangers of NOT smoking!! (i.e. passive smoking).

Geoff

Famagusta City

deputydawg

Message Posted:
26/10/2011 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

The next time a shopkeeper orders more stock from a wholesaler/supplier and it carries a price rise it is perfectly legitimate and proper business dealings that he sells his existing stock at the new higher price as the thousands of pounds of stock on the shelves has to be replaced at the higher price. If a shopkeeper sells existing stock at the old and lower price he is increasing the burden of value of unsold stock. Some do this as a goodwill gesture to customers and some do not. Presumably those who will only sell limited amounts at the old price are trying to go some way towards appeasing their customers but hoping they will have some old stock left so that they contain to a degree the capital outlay necessary to refill their shelves and stockroom. This method of course will not work if the normal cartoon buyer, for example, visits 10 times in one day for 1 packet each visit ! Publicans in UK very often empty their existing barrels into their regulars rather than fight !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.