North Cyprus Tourist Board - ledra street crossing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > ledra street crossing

ledra street crossing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

dodger

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 23 in Discussion

excuse my ignorance,but i have just been reading that there may be a chance that the ledra street crossing lefkosia may be opened would this be a vehicle crossing or just pedestrian.

ukturk

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 00:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 23 in Discussion

hi there mate

if the ledra street crossing is to be opened it will be a pedestrian crossing because it actually goes straight through the u.n green line and is a footbridge that splits the city but this has been spoken about for the last two years the turkish government has said thou quote

it was not Turkish Cypriot policy to keep opening up new crossings. Rather, the policy was to achieve a solution to the Cyprus problem, he said.

“It is not crossings we want; we want a solution.”

However, he referred to the Ledra barricade as “uniquely symbolic” and said that its opening would reflect a thaw in relations between the two communities. Ledra Street holds historical significance by being the first place on the island to see the physical division of the two communities, having been erected, not after the 1974 invasion, but during intercommunal fighting in the early sixties.

so lets just see if this happens

dodger

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 23 in Discussion

thanks erkan,

as usual a very concise post am i right in thinking that if this point was to open that would be six crossings available.are the other five open to vehicles or are they a mixture of pedestrian and vehicle,

Paul.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 21:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 23 in Discussion

Ledra Palace crossing is for pedestrians only

dodger

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 23 in Discussion

thanks loving cyprus,i realise that now (post no 2) what i meant was, there are already five open,which of these are pedestrian and which are vehicle.

pilgrim

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 22:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 23 in Discussion

we crossed twice during spring 2006 at ledra palace, when did it close?

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 23 in Discussion

Ledra Palace crossing has not closed, you are getting confused, Ledra Street (this is in a different place) has not opened

pilgrim

Message Posted:
24/10/2007 23:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 23 in Discussion

thank lovingcyprus, confusing having similar names.

ukturk

Message Posted:
25/10/2007 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 23 in Discussion

hi dodger

yes your right there are five border crossings

1st Metehan in Nicosia foot and car crossing most used

2nd Güzelyurt car crossing

3rd ledra palace only foot crossing

4th akya crossing located in the british eastern sovereign base car crossing

also know as the black knight crossing to the british army

5th Beyarmudu also know as pergamos again located at the british eastern sovereign base car and foot

of course not forgetting ledra street crossing but id rather call it The Lokmaci barrier (turkish name) which translates in to the turkish cypriot sweet 'lokma seller' the reason for this name is because the end shop of the turkish side is the lokma seller

and also not forgetting the villiage of pile where turkish cypriots live with greek cypriots but live their lives seperatley this is located deep inside the u.n buffer zone or the green line or what the turks call it the Atilla line after the name given to the 1974 military intervention by Turkey (Operation Atilla)

also what you wont hear in public especially from the gc's Atilla was the name of the villiage in famagusta where the greeks masacared most of all the villiagers.

regards

ukturk

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 04:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 23 in Discussion

hope this all helps

regards

dodger

Message Posted:
26/10/2007 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 23 in Discussion

Thanks erkan,

We always use metehan,missed the turn off first time and drove straight into nicosia,parked up and spent an hour trying to find the border.Found a military post and thought that was the one we wanted (dooohh) got directions from a friendly chap with a gun who told us that we should have turned of at j2 troodos kyrennia and guess what he was right you can bet your life i wont make that mistake again.

Paul.

dodger

Message Posted:
01/11/2007 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 23 in Discussion

turk cyps say that they are ready to open the ledra street crossing.

ukturk

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 23 in Discussion

hi mate

i read that aswell but as usual the greek cypriot government has something to say and again blames the turkish army they wont agree to it till there is no turkish army in the area and they are trying to be sneaky by accepting the u.n map of ceasefire in the area which means all army has to retreat back and it be manned and controlled by the u.n army they think they are clever by doing this because then s cyprus will have a say in what goes on in the area concerning security and how the crossing is dealt with by the u.n and personally nothing will get done yet (if it does) because the south cyprus are going to have their elections in the new year so lets see what happens but i wont hold my breath waiting for good news from the south

dodger

Message Posted:
02/11/2007 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 23 in Discussion

Damn those pesky greeks.

dodger

Message Posted:
10/11/2007 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 23 in Discussion

just been reading that the members of the european parliament high level contact group for relations with turkish cypriots are stressing the need to open the ledra crossing.how much clout do these people have,i wonder what would happen if the turks moved the troops away from the immediate area.Seems the obvious thing to do,but i bet if they did move them out the geeks would find something else to complain about,and hence the crossing would not open.

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/11/2007 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 23 in Discussion

hi

the austrian mep karin resetarits who is one of five mep's from the European Parliament’s Contact Group have said she will name and shame anyone who is trying to put obstacles in the way of opening the crossing

this group has not any power and can not force any laws upon the two sides they are just their as a go between the turks and the greeks like a middle man in theroy

the only problem is the greeks thou becaue like i said they want all the turkish soldiers to withdraw from that area and let it be manned by the e.u, in theroy

this sound like a good idea but you got to read between the lines if it is manned by e.u soldiers these soldiers can actually be greek soldiers acting for the e.u (and who do u think they will support greece of course not the e.u) so at the end of the day the greeks will have a say on how the crossing is manned also them being in the e.u and turkey not being in the e.u thats why turkey are reluctent in agreeing to this and also if god forbids problems to break out and the greek army want to come accross the border they wont be any line of defence

in my view yes open the crossing but at least have sort of army presence and im not talking about e.u or u.n soldiers because this crossing is the most important of all the crossings and has to be manned properly lets hope they sort it but again i doubt it cos the greeks never give a little they want to open it under their own conditions cos they are in the e.u do they think they are unstopable with the e.u backing them (thats what they must think)

regards

erkan

dodger

Message Posted:
10/11/2007 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 23 in Discussion

Thanks Erkan,you answered my question regarding the group having no physial power,but at least they have loud voices.

dodger

Message Posted:
12/03/2008 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 23 in Discussion

Hi all,

Presidential commissioner George Lacovou meets today Ozdil Nami Semor (aid to ali talat) for talks regarding the opening of the ledra street crossing.Things are looking favourable and the crossing could be open within ten days,

Regards,

Paul.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
12/03/2008 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 23 in Discussion

I am not too aware of all these crossings as only been over to TRNC twice now but why is the Ledra Street crossing important to everyone - is it in the heart of the shops??? Sorry to ask but just wondered.

dodger

Message Posted:
12/03/2008 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 23 in Discussion

Hi bhw,

In my humble opinion the opening of the ledra street pedestrian crossing would be seen as a thawing out of relations between the two communities,and a gesture.Maybe it would create more of a feel good factor as well.Not sure were the army would be located though as the crossing actually goes straight through the un green line,

Regards,

Paul.

Perry

Message Posted:
12/03/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 23 in Discussion

Hello BHW

Yes it is right in the heart of Nicosia and will connect us straight onto the main shopping street. There are nice backstreets as well with small shops and tavernas. It really is a nice area.

newlad

Message Posted:
12/03/2008 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 23 in Discussion

bhw,perry,

If the talks have gone well today it could be open within ten days,regards,

Paul.

newlad

Message Posted:
13/03/2008 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 23 in Discussion

Signs are it could be open on the 23rd of march,

Regards,

Paul.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.