North Cyprus Tourist Board - More Dogs Poisoned In Karsiyaka
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > More Dogs Poisoned In Karsiyaka

More Dogs Poisoned In Karsiyaka

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Sid447

Message Posted:
29/10/2011 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

About ten days ago,

A pointer type dog light tan with darker brown patches, was wondering around near Vaha Spa. We tried calling it as it seemed in decent condition and normal enough, but to no avail.

We left food outside for it during two nights and then never saw it again, until a putrid smell kept drifting over the house. After investigating the dog mentioned was dead and in an old river bed about 100 meters from the house just on the north side of the Spa. We contacted the Belediye who dug a hole and buried the dog.

Less than a week later, a good friend of ours had his dog poisoned whilst inside, yes inside Vaha Spa.

We are talking well trained, middle-aged labrador pet with a collar on.

I don't understand the mentality of indiscriminate use of lethal poison. Neither dog was worrying any farm animals or causing a nuisance.

Kids sometimes have been seen around the grounds in the Spa; what if they had picked up whatever had been used as poison.

moxie

Message Posted:
29/10/2011 22:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

makes me so mad.is it not time to make a stand here?

what happened to the anti poisoning campaign by Kar?

Kids??? sorry to say but it will happen , in a strange way i hope it does !!!! maybe someone will stop this barbaric cowardly act.

smwredd

Message Posted:
30/10/2011 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

As I have said this before, why not create a petition signed by as many people as possibe, and present to the Government. There are many Turkish Cypriots who disagree with the poisoning as well and I am sure would be happy to sign. It is actions not words that are needed.

Wibow

Message Posted:
30/10/2011 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

smwredd

I think its a terrible thing that these poor dogs are being poisoned

We have a dog and we won't let him off the lead

Just in case he runs off and picks something up

We would sign a petition if there's one being started

Must stop this. Could be a child next.

smwredd

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 08:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Ok, is there someone out there who is willing to join me in creating a petition. Perhaps go to Lambousa on a Saturday to collect signatures and local cafes, etc. I was approached last week by someone with a petition against the power station emissions so see no reason why one cannot be created regarding poisoning.

Earlybird

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

This has already been done by KAR a couple of years back. Sadly, it didn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference.

Wibow

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Earlybird.

KAR tried there best a couple of years ago

SO perhaps its time to try and start another petition

Hoping perhaps this time something will be done

to stop these poor dogs from being poisioned

It would break my heart if it happened to my dog

BoTanica

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Isn't the spa private property? Maybe private property should have been avoided as a dog walking area. There doesn't seem to be anywhere left poison free now. Even private gardens are getting poison chucked over the wall/fence.

Sid447

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Mssg 5, smwredd.

If you decide to do this all the (Brit) houses around the vicinity of Vaha Spa are a good place to start.

Call 0533-888-2424 if you need us to sign.

(Apparently the Belediye should be petitioned I was told).

smwredd

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Sid447

will be in touch over the next few days when I have something formulated in my mind as how to proceed. No matter if KAR has already had a petition, it doesn't hurt to keep the issue alive.

Anyone willing to assist me would be welcomed. You can email me if necessary.

Whistler

Message Posted:
31/10/2011 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

My dog was poisoned about 4 years ago whilst on the lead and after us and all the neighbours had scoured the street to clear up all the poison that had been laid at our gates. Luckily he survived (only just) BUT my cat was not so lucky. Now he never goes out not even on a lead and it`s a shame that he cannot enjoy his walk any more. I just cannot take the risk. It was horrific what he went through but I think we are banging our heads against the wall with the local authority or even the police.

Earlybird

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 06:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Wibow, msg 7, I hope you didn't think I was 'knocking' KAR. Far from it. In fact I helped collect signatures, attended the meetings etc and that was a petition with an official charity's backing and nothing. That was all that I was saying, they didn't listen to KAR. I don't know what the answer is but I agree that the poisonings are heartbreaking and should be stopped but I don't have the answer.

snd1966

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 06:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

i thought after brian and maggie delaney's dog was poisoned Tom Roache with the help of his contacts were going to refresh the issue. Did this ever get off the ground, talk of tv coverage etc. KAR collected lots of signatures and met lower government and i remember in the paper they said they would try to help but i assume there are bigger issues on their agenda now. My dogs have been poisoned twice up in the mountains and until people are more respomsible it will continue, too many dogs are wandering around through no fault of their own, actual owners being not responsible letting their dogs which they have no control of loose up the mouuntains when there are livestock around and feeling they have the right to walk them wherever. Letting dogs bark and bark all day and all night generally again through cats and stray dogs setting them off or people walking their dogs passed chained dogs at unearthly hours.

a1sysman

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 06:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

I know this won't help street dogs but it might help those who are responsible owners protect their beloved dog(s) - why not muzzle your dog(s) when let out to roam or exercise? Would a muzzle not prevent a dog from eating poisoned / bated food? A quick google for dog muzzles displays plenty of choice - some more restrictive than others. The more restrictive, the more protection...

IMHO the loss of liberty a muzzle imposes is better than the loss of life resulting from poisoning.

Whistler

Message Posted:
01/11/2011 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

alsysman. This wont prevent them from licking or sniffing the poison, this is all it takes.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.