North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bayram Banks Closing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bayram Banks Closing

Bayram Banks Closing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 08:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

The sacrifice Bayram (Kurban or Eid ul-Adha) has four week days starting 8th Dec and the banks will be shut apart from ATM's so remember to get your transactions done before then..

The ATM's are likely to run out of dosh over this period too so don't rely on them...

Kuban, the Festival of Sacrifice is a religious festival celebrated by Muslims and Druze worldwide in commemoration of the willingness of Ibrahim (Abraham) to sacrifice his son as an act of obedience to Allah. The devil tempted Ibrahim by saying he should disobey Allah and spare his son. As Ibrahim was about to kill his son, Allah intervened: instead Allah provided a lamb as the sacrifice. This is why today all over the world Muslims who have the means to, sacrifice an animal, as a reminder of Ibrahim's obedience to Allah. The meat is then shared out with family and friends, as well as the poorer members of the community.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 08:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

I hear children call wishing a happy Bayran,and you should give them money?is this correct,and what is normal amount?

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Mike

I think that's the Seker Bayram... different holiday that celeabrates the end of Ramadan or Ramazan as it's properly known in Turkish... and you give them sweets (Seker means sweet or sugar) and if you don't have sweets then a little money would do... but this is really for Moslems and not for ex-pats... i.e. it is not expected of you... so don't feel obliged but take part if you want...

The best part for the children is that there is no restriction on how they spend any pocket money they get. In Turkey amusement parks are set up in almost every town during the festival.

iceman

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Groucho

Kurban meat is not shared with family and friends...It is meant to be given to poorer members of the comunity and those in need.

sunnyday

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

beware if you live on a site that still has builders living there. Last year our builders tormented a bullock, while trying to get a rope round its legs, they then hauled it in the air from the JCB, slit its throat & hacked it to pieces in the open.

norma jean

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Groucho, are the banks closed for four days or for four weeks, bit thick today.

Thanks' Norma Jean

louthlass

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

I always understood that the meat was given to those less fortunate, but as I have only lived in a moslem country for a few years, (25) I may have missed something.

McSteviet

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Louthlass,

Just curious, why the name Louthlass??

Mc

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Iceman,

Maybe not in your family but these articles seem to indicate that a one thrid proprtion is shared with family and friends too... which is what I was told by our Turkish Teacher who is Cypriot not mainland Turkish.

http://www.hitit.co.uk/culture/religfest.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eid_ul-Adha

http://www.allaboutturkey.com/bayram.htm#kurban

http://www.stratford.idomu.net/files/kurban.ppt

http://www.turkeycentral.com/articles/featured_article.php?article_id=20

Which clearly states the proportions of division....

"The meat is then divided into three portions--one is given to the poor, one to neighbors and relatives, and the third is kept for the household. The skin of the animal is donated, and the income obtained from the skins are shared with various social welfare organizations. "

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Norma,

It starts on the Sunday with the day of preparations and goes on for most of the week... many shops don't bother to open on the Friday either but I think most here will... mainland Turkey is more widely affected for a longer period.. but not 4 weeks it is 4 days (when the banks would normally be open but for the Bayram.

I do notice one of the articles states - "Children might be given pocket money as well."

But it's not so common as during the Seker Bayram I think...

norma jean

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks, Groucho.

baldy

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi norma jean. The banks will be closed Monday 8th December to Thursday 11th December, re-open Friday 12th

louthlass

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

That's where I was born and educated, at King Edward VI Grammar School, Louth Lincolnshire. I left there at 18 years to be married and started travelling.

Treesy

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

We will be sharing our meat with some friends- especially any that could not afford to sacrifice a sheep themselves - all family in Turkey so not an option - we will also share some with those less well off in our area.

Children may ask for sweets or money - but expect them to kiss your RIGHT hand first - not a real kiss- more a touch to the lips and then their forehead. Without this sign of respect to you I would not give sweets or money....... and generally they will only ask family and close neighbours! Money - 1 or 2 ytl is plenty.

Thanks for that post Groucho - nice to let all know what these festivals are about.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

I had just arrived last Bayran,and unprepared.No YTL or sweets,all the children got fridge magnets,key rings From Wales with the Welsh Dragon.Must have been succesful,they brought their friends next day !!!

I just thought so lovely that young children can knock on doors and be safe.A dramatic difference to UK

Groucho

Message Posted:
26/11/2008 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Mike,

Loads of kids knocked on our door Trick Or Treating in the UK... we didn't kill many of them!

MCSTEVIET

Message Posted:
30/11/2008 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Louthlass,

Well I never. I live opposite the school on Horncastle Road and my eldest has just left there to go to Uni.

Mc

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.