North Cyprus Tourist Board - Who is poisoning all the dogs and cats in the TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Who is poisoning all the dogs and cats in the TRNC?

Who is poisoning all the dogs and cats in the TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Heidi

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Someone told me it is organised!

Heidi

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

What a pointless thread! "Someone" - who? "organised"? by whom (you would have asked) so why not add that information here, instead of being enigmatic...

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Some poor sod who's life is blighted night and day by some bastard's dog that barks barks barks barks barks,barks,barks. It is unlawful to poison the owner so .............

hattikins

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Message 3

Now there's a thought, only joking of course.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

Actually it is a very good question.

The answer used to be it was farmers and shepherds and was aimed at rats and other vermin as well as wild pack dogs which damaged crops and threatened livestock and it was only accidently that a pet animal picked it up. A stupid way of doing it and cruel of course but a result of ignorance and lack of education by jpeople who were trying to protect their livelihood and that of their families.

The last few years (significantly post Annan) it has seemed to be aimed at pet animals (e.g. thrown into gardens) , A vet (I had better not say which) told me that there was evidence it was being done by Expats - partly because it was being baited by expensive meat from supermarkets which a Turk or Cypriot would not use preferring cheaper broad or pasta!

Judging by posts on these Board, like No 3 and the unacceptable behaviour generally of som expats I can well believe it. continued.........................

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Is it any wonder that we "oldies" are increasingly bitter about the newcomers who cannot or will not accept they are living in a someone else's country and should adapt to the way of life instead of imposing their prejudices on it - also ignorance and lack of education !

btw my apologies to those "newcomers" who do adapt and particularly to those who care about animals and adopt themself or support charities - but I am afraid you are increasingly in a minority and are in danger of being tarred with the same brush . As I have said before on other subjects, is past time sensible expats did some self regulation and made it clear that certain behaviour will not be tolerated.

hattikins

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Bizzilizzi

It was humour, obviously something you don't understand.

I would never poison an animal.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Actually it is a very good question.

The answer used to be it was farmers and shepherds and was aimed at rats and other vermin as well as wild pack dogs which damaged crops and threatened livestock and it was only accidently that a pet animal picked it up. A stupid way of doing it and cruel of course but a result of ignorance and lack of education by jpeople who were trying to protect their livelihood and that of their families.

The last few years (significantly post Annan) it has seemed to be aimed at pet animals (e.g. thrown into gardens) , A vet (I had better not say which) told me that there was evidence it was being done by Expats - partly because it was being baited by expensive meat from supermarkets which a Turk or Cypriot would not use preferring cheaper broad or pasta!

Judging by posts on these Board, like No 3 and the unacceptable behaviour generally of som expats I can well believe it. continued.........................

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

Hattikins: Sorry I meant message 3!

However, I do have a sense of humour - but it isnt misplaced. I dont think this particular subject is a joking matter - I have sat all night trying unsuccessfully to save a poisoned dog and watching its suffering and I dont feel like laughing about it. Nor do I see the funny side of the way life here has been spoiled , near enough ruined, by ignorance and intolerance.

People forget that anyone can read these posts (not just those who post here) and some of the black humour is sending a very unfortunate message!

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

I believe there are more people's lives being affected by the barking dogs than dare to admit on this board.

I would NEVER agree with poisoning the dogs, but as mess 3 said, perhaps (tongue in cheek), the owners need to take more responsibility.

Whilst at my daughter's house, I noticed every morning an expat walked their six dogs...no leads...

each morning, all six of them peed up her garden wall.

( I wonder what response my daughter would have got, had her son peed up the dog owners wall EVERY morning?)

On another occasion, my daughter was pushing her baby whilst her dog was on the lead. An alsation actually attacked her. Although she wasn't bitten, she had major bruises to show for her efforts of protecting her baby ,herself and her dog.

Why don't most dog owners keep their dogs on leads whilst in public areas? It's ok saying ''oh, he won't harm you'', try telling that to my daughter.

cassius

Message Posted:
07/11/2011 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

i could not agree more. i have three dogs which are taken out every morning and are always on their leads in public places. I get really annoyed at the arrogance of people who have their dogs without leads and make endless problems for the rest of us. I once met the owner of a german shepherd who told me it would not hurt me as it was hanging on to the top of my arm!!! Obviously different words have different meanings for different people1

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

My dogs are always kept on leads in residential areas and near roads - for their own safety apart from anything else. But recently a collar broke on a puppy under training . It was significant that none of the Brits passing had the compassion to slow down , and of the pedestrians it was a couple of Cypriot boys that helped catch her.

As for public areas, as I said I also have and always will keep dogs on a lead in residential areas - in fact I avoid walking them through residential areas as much as poss. but as this country gets buried under concrete and the green areas are reduced for people and animals alike, it is sometimes impossible to avoid.

Unrestrained dogs are actually more of a danger for people with small dogs on a lead than they are to unencumbered pedestrians, but I can understand why people get confused when the truly "public " areas where they used to be able to walk alone or with dogs safely are blocked by villas and swimming pools.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

I sometimes walk the dogs along rough cart tracks (cant often as NOW it means transporting them by car) wher there is little traffic and it usually goes slowly if only for the sake of the springs!

I keep a watch out for vehicles and have trained the older dogs (and am training the puppy) to come to my side and sit while a car goes past. I somtimes get a lovely smile and a wave of acknowledgement for this courtesy, but more often than not these days I just get a scowl - or indeed many dont even notice other road users (or even apparently the country they are passing though) so intent are they in reaching their destination as quickly as poss.

This hatred and phobia about dogs is truly frightening and is making my life hell!

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 01:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

As someone who loves animals and who is the (owner) of a much loved dog and 2 cats, I really think that part of the problem is that too many dogs (and cats ) are abroad in Northern Cyprus ! Many of these are feral and many are badly treated by their owners ?. These, out of control and badly treated animals, cause great annoyance to many with their behavior ( whether barking or pestering customers in restaurants ). I don't know the solution to the problem but it does cause some people to behave in an unacceptable way. Just as the population of the world is out of control and is causing problems with the food supply, so is the uncontrolled dog and cat population here. Just my tuppence worth !

deputydawg

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

I doubt there will ever be any consensus of opinion of how man can best live with animals with mutual benefit to both. Nothing changes for the better as the year's go by. I recall that as a youngster I came upon a police dog handler struggling to lift his Alsation over park railings during a hot pursuit of a criminal. I took him along the fence to a rail which I knew to be loose and would allow him access with his dog. As I reached with one hand to lift the railing the dog snatched my wrist puncturing my clothing and the skin beneath. When the policeman was on the other side of the railings with his dog he did not say thank you nor make any enquiry as to the extent of my injury which was seeping blood. He simply said "you are old enough to know better than to wave your limbs around in front of a police dog". So, he obviously loved his dog very much, and my love of animals has not diminished since but, I do not like all policemen !

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

I totally agree there are two many feral dogs and cats here. As was agreed on another thread this is largely due to Brits abandoning animals during colonial and Commonweath rule (proved by the variety of non native breeds) so we must not be too critical of Cypriots.

That is no excuse for penalising those who take animals off the streets and making our lives miserable - which IS what a lot of insensitive, ignorant and prejudiced newcomers do and I am sick of it.

To my mind the only humane answer is neutering. Plus a ban on inmportation and breeding. But it is a long term project and takes education, time and money.

Meantime what about a bit of help and support for those who are (however small the contribution ) are doing something about it, instead of this constant carping and accepting the country you CHOSE to live in as it is instead of how you think it should be organised to your taste.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

True it is difficult to persuade Cypriots - and even more mainland Turks - of tbe benefits of neutering. But gradually more are coming round to it whenthey see examples of how happy and healthy neutered dogs can be. But is is expensive for those of us who dont have a big income. Neutering should be subsidized but I can just hear the screams if those who shout loudest were asked to contribute one lira a month to that end!

Meanwhile I am still waiting for someone to answer the original question - which makes me wonder if some people protest too much because they have guilty consciences.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

BizziLizzi, don't know about organised, but its been going on for many years and if you have lived out there for over 10 years you would know this especially in Ozankoy.

We took in a dog when I lived out there(Ozankoy, Karakum and Girne), she had all her underneath burnt with acid. It was a wicked thing to do, but we looked after her and eventually she went to a new home and on to the UK with her new owners. On the other hand a TC who lived more or less opposite to me in Ozankoy (owned a shop in Tin Pan Alley) thought it highly hilarious to see his mad dog, on a chain, surge forward everytime we went out of the villa and more or less choke itself. The chain was long enough to reach our bottom step. If the dog could have, he would have done us damage.

Agree with you and message 14, far too many dogs in NC, As for the barking, again, thats been going on for years. My first holiday at Gardens of Irini Bellapais I used to listen to the first dog then wait for the last one in Girne.

Coachie

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

have you had any new chinese restruants open lately????? Quite a delicacy for them....

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

delartokat message18 Please read my message 5 Poisoning has been going on for at leas l5 years to my knowledge but direct attacks on pets in their own gardens is since the Brutish Invasion. (not a typo)

Yes, sadly there is cruelty to animals here, just as, as has been widely discussed here, there is everywhere!

Barking dogs has been going on here for l5 years to my knowledge, in fact there were a lot of barking dogs in Limassol and Episkopi in l963! So isnt it patronising and autocratic of people who think they can come to a foreign country and change things to suit their way of thinking? There used to be crowing cocks (at 4 am!) and braying donkeys as well a few years ago - I miss them, particularly the old man who used to regularly ride a mule down the village street without danger from traffic!

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

When I could walk properly I used to take my dogs up the Crusader Path to Bellapaise . The first dog by the wayside would give warning of intruders and one could hear it being passed up the path from dog to dog, like the warning beacons in olden days! No one complained - it was just part of the lifestyle - providing onekept the dogs under control and didnt let them worry livestock.

Coachie I think it has generally been agreed that that type of joke is inappropriate when people are working really hard to care for animals and suffering distress when they are mistreated.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

'How much is that doggie in the window?

The one with the wagg[er]ly tail.

How much is that doggie in the window?

I do hope that doggie's for sale!'

Sad as....eh?

Certainly doesn't apply to Cyprus - North or South - the dog, or cat, of your choice can be yours without wishing......

dalartokat

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Bizzilizzi, thats where I used to live, the Crusader path, opposite Petit Manage, the dog I'm talking about was not let out in the day time because the owner was at his shop, it was when he came home. Did you used to live further up the hill on the right on the brow of the hill with the villa laying back, I'm talking 1997.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 21:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

No dalartokat, apart from 6 weeks in Ambelia village in l996, I have always lived in Ozankoy village though for a couple of years I rented just at the bottom of the Crusader Path. I used to visit Bellapaise a lot before it became so tourisized. Used to regularly lunch at the Tree of Idleness on home made soup followed by fruit and/or ice cream for the eqipivalent of about 50p! Ah, those were the days!

A lot of the dogs that are chained during the day are actually exercised - sometimes even on a lead - but it tends to be late at night when the owners get back from work(or in some cases I suspect it isnt considered macho to be seen witha dog on a lead!) . It is part of the reason for the barking dogs - they set off otherwise well behaved pet dogs as they pass. I can stand the noise )and my dogs are indoor at night so I suffer most!) if it means the pure creatures do get an outing.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
08/11/2011 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Tenakoutou

Too right! And some of them are lovely part pedigree dogs, not just scruffy mutts And no you cant have my ex stray spaniel I would not sell him for a thousand pounds! (nor the others for that matter) So why the blazes do people have to to import and breed dogs?

You raise a good point. It isnt just a TRNC problem. Dogs dont have to show passports to cross a border!

moritzkatz

Message Posted:
09/11/2011 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Apparently we were very lucky in the six years we lived in Lapta never once did we have a dog problem. Once in a while strays would show up in front of our gate looking for a meal or water. Certainly we never felt threatened by any dogs even when small pacts would appear. The Cyprus strays must be the most placid friendly dogs on the planet certainly the chances of getting bitten by a dog is greater in the UK. The only dogs which even barked at night were dog which Cypriots had on chains. Actually dog barking is far less offensive than kids screaming or radios and TV’s turned up so loud the entire neighbourhood is forced into listening. There is not much we miss about no longer living in Cyprus except we do miss the strays considering them as treasures of the island. Having taking away their space we humans have a duty and an obligation to care for and to protect not just dog but all animals. What does worry us it the import by locals of some breeds which are known to be not so nice

teresase

Message Posted:
09/11/2011 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

c`om everyone , the council is doing all the poisoning` they don't care about the dogs or cats oround

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.