North Cyprus Tourist Board - Puppies (x7)... any advice appreciated
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Puppies (x7)... any advice appreciated

Puppies (x7)... any advice appreciated

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

KatieBullen

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 10:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Hi All,

Recently moved into a villa in Ozankoy (staying in TRNC for 12 months) - having a break from the UK.

Anyway, my husband heard a squeeling noise down a steep ravine that slopes away from our pool area. He went to take a look and found a newborn puppy half way down in a bush. Collected it and on the way back up found a bitch (stray who had previously visited us) giving birth at the top of the ravine, in the overhang underneath our pool terrace.

He put the pup with the mum where there were two other pups. During the day we checked on the bitch, gave food and water and later on she had 8 pups!. We just couldn't leave her there - they would have had no chance, so we went out and bought a bed, eased them all onto it and carried them to our shed. This was 5 days ago. One pup unfortuntately died.

We have been looking after them, feeding her up, put heater in shed to keep them warm. *running out of characters* tried KAR. Full. Not our villa and we have a baby too. Any advice

BoTanica

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

I thought KAR always took in pups and mum? The longer you have them the more it will be said that they are yours, and your responsibility. I would explain your temporary status to KAR again.

cleos

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Puppies are a priority for KAR - maybe there was a misunderstanding as i know that they have to have a totally seperate area/kennel to keep mum and pups together - they do not always have the space - maybe they meant that they are full for now. Try giving them a ring again - it may be that KAR will put your mum and pup on the list for either mum/pup kennel space or they will take then once the pups are old enough to leave mum and can go into a puppy pen.

KatieBullen

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

Thanks.

I'll keep trying KAR... I said I was happy to take them all up there but they still said no, not until they have called me, they have no room!?... was very surprised as a very young / big litter... and considering we have an 8 month old baby too...

If we lived here full time and owned our villa we would do our best to find them good homes when ready... but doubt there is much demand - there seems to be dogs everywhere!

My gut tells me we are not going to get a call at all.

blade

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

Katie,

Mum will do all that is needed for them over the next two weeks or so, just keep feeding her up so she can make enough milk to feed the pups.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

katie

Give KAR a chance - if they have no room they have no room. Its not like they have said they are not going to take them at all - just that you need to wait for them to call when they do have room - as cleos said (msg 3) either in a seperated (from the other dogs) mum and pup kennel or when the pups are old enough to go into a puppy pen with other pups.

I know, for fact, that they do call people who are on the waiting list, to let them know when space becomes available - they regularly check their "waiting" lists and discuss cases with the Centre in order to deal with as many dogs as they can. But a nursing mum and pups need a totally seperate space of their own - which is not always possible straight away.

As blade says - Mum will look after the pups herself for a few weeks yet - at least they are in a safe place for now - many other litters/puppies are not so lucky.

artistabroad

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

As the 2of us says- give KAR a chance. We took a litter of five and their mum (we have six dogs already) that we'd been looking after for two weeks just a week or so ago up to KAR, they already had a litter there - so we had to wait a bit, and I know of at least one more litter being looked after in Karmi, waiting for a space. I know it's distressing, but if the mum and pups are dry and warm, and she's fed, they'll be fine for a few weeks, and I'm sure KAR will help.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 19:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

This is so unfair - someone does a good deed out of kindness and then gets lumbered and no one helps.

Katie

Sometimes whoever answers the emergency phone at KAR is new and doesnt know the rules, or perhaps just under pressure. A situation happened some time back when a friend of mine got lumbered which an apparently mistreated dog and couldnt take it in and KAR refused to help.

I wrote an email to Margaret Ray detailing the circumstances and condition of the dog, and explaining why neither my friend or I coudnt take it in (already caring for strays). When Margaret got back she agreed to see te dog and took appropriate action. It might not help but worth trying I do suggest you email or write to KAR explaining the circumstances in detail - including the fact you are on a short term rental. One dog and l0 puppies (if I have got my arithmatic right) is in any case far too many to expect anyone - let alone someone here short term for a break to cope with.

daisythedog

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Katie,

Be fair you posted your message less than 1 hour after the phone call to KAR, I know as I was there in the office when your husband phoned in.

The office volunteer dealt with your case in a reasonable manner considering it was a Monday morning and it takes time for the office to check with the rescue centreas to just what space is available after possible emergencies and incomings over the weekend.

All cases of Mums and young pups are put on a priority list.

Although the centre is undergoing a major change of management this week be assured space will be found for your mum and her litter, and although you have been kind enough to help them in the short term, you will receive a call as soon as possible regarding taking them in.

Tango1

Message Posted:
14/11/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

Please be patient. If KAR said they were completely full, then believe me they were completely full! Every person who contacts the office is concerned about their particular problem, but you could be just one of many calls they get in the course of a day. As said above, the Mother will take care of the pups herself and its better they stay in her and your care for a while. Keep her warm, fed and watered and she will take care of the rest. People assume that KAR have expanding pens, expanding money and will drop everything immediately to assist, but it just doesn't happen that way. Just think how fortunate they all are that you found them, in this weather they could be still on the side of the ravine. Thanks for taking care of them.

KatieBullen

Message Posted:
15/11/2011 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

Thank you for all of your comments. I'm beginning to understand the issue with the number of dogs on the island and the pressure KAR are under in terms of space. In turn, I am respectful of those who are protective of what KAR are doing.

Rest assured we are doing our very best for mum and pups, we have been setting our alarms for the middle of the night, brought them into the villa for the storm. Got advice from vet, wormed, de-ticked etc.... the pups are doing well. This certainly isn't a case of impatience - my husband leaves for the UK this week and I know i'll struggle on my own on full baby duty - the mum definately needs some help and unfortunately has brought another dog (both are ripping up bins and causing trouble too).

Message 9 - yes, very reasonable manner - just got the impression dogs may better off with us.

Message 8 - thank you

Untimately just pleased we found them and hope they end up as good peoples pets.

Katie.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
15/11/2011 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

Hi Katie - well, it sounds as though you've certainly got your hands full there.

I wonder whether there is anyone who lives close to you and could come over and give you some help with mum and the pups for a while - especially since your husband is returning to UK this week? I'm sure that even a bit of moral support would be welcomed

Good luck in finding these dogs new homes when the time comes.

J

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
15/11/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

Really just bringing this to the top, as this obviously very kind lady really does need some help - coping with three dogs alone can be a problem - that many pups and a baby is asking too much - KAR really should treat this as a special case.

Katie: I know it sound tough but dont have the dogs in the house - particularly the adults - however bad the weather is - apart from cleaning up - it really is best not to encourage them too much when you know you wont be able to keep them. I would suggest getting someone to put a temporary enclosure round the shed to stop them straying and other dogs getting in - but I am afraid that might encourage KAR to think you are taking resposibility for them.

What kind of dog is the mother?

pammick

Message Posted:
15/11/2011 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

I was in a similar situation myself a couple of years ago, when I found 6 new born pups. I contacted KAR, they came and had a look where the pups were and told me they would come and collect them when they were 6 weeks old. The bitch was taking good care of them so I fed her and kept my eye on them, feeding the pups once they were weaned. Kar did come back for them although I had managed to home a couple of them myself and they also took mum so she could be neutered. So do give them a chance, I am sure they will take the pups once they are a few weeks old. You are doing a fantastic job, looking after them. Well done!!

Pam

Tango1

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Msg.12 has a good idea, is there no-one living in that part of the world that could call round a couple of times a day, to help with the cleaning up and just give Katie a break?

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

BizziLizzi

As has been explained in multiple previous posts, KAR are aware of the situation and will sort out the mother and pups as soon as they have space. It sounds as though the OP has things under control.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

fiendishpaul

Well you are well named. I dont know the OP, but from what she has said on the Board out of sheer kindness she has been lumbered with a situation which would be beyond the control of most people! I love dogs and have cared for several strays , at the moment three, but I certainly couldnt cope with a mother and multiple pups on my own! let alone with a human baby as well.

I know very well the problems that KAR are facing but their attitude to humans who are struggling and willingness to take advantage of those who are making sacrifices to care for animals has put me off them in the past , and this is the last straw as far as I am concerned!

Has anyone from KAR been to visit, and seen the circumstances and checked if there is anything they could do to help until the have space?

the2ofus

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 19:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

message 8 BizziLizzi - it is a Mum and 7 puppies - she originally had 8 and 1 died. The pups were born on November 9th so they are not even 10 days old yet - Mum will still be looking after them herself. Maybe Katie should contact KAR again about any change in her circumstances - I am not saying it will make any change because they cannot simply magic up space that doesn't exist - but they may be able to offer other advise.

Its a shame the vet couldn't do more to help as well isn't it - they too should hold a moral duty to help strays and their puppies !

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

The canine "Mum" wont - cant - be providing her own food. shelter. security and heat (which btw costs money) or cleaning up after them and paying vets bills I doubt if KAR expects its official volunteers or paid staff single handed to look after a nursing mother 7 puppies (if that is the right number)on their own 24 hours a day in their own homes! How can an organisation which is funded from public donations expect unsupported individuals to subsidize them .

According to the op they found 1 pup, then Mum and 2 puppies (of which one died) and then 8 more (of which another died) = 1 born less 2 died = 9 , seems a lot, but whatever 7 is too much.

AS for Vets, we dont know what the Vet did in this case. Personally I think some take advantage of people who adopt strays - on the other hand I know some take in strays themselves and go to lengths to home others. continued.......................

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
16/11/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

To me the great shame is that there are so many people prepared to spring to the defence of KAR at the drop of a hat, but dont appear to be coming forward to help a member of the community in distress as a result of a kind action.

Correction to message above. No it isnt even her own home - it borrowed or rented and in case you didnt know stray dogs and all puppies areincontinent and presumably there are neighbours who wont be too keen on the influx - it really is a highly unsuitable situation for a large litter.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 08:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

It seems, based on the number of your posts (5 ) to me that you feel more strongly about this BizziLizzi than the OP (3 posts) . As was said if there has been a change in her circumstances then she should call KAR again - maybe the whole set of circumstances weren't explained at the initial phone call as it was her husband who called. I don't know as i wasn't there and neither were you.

It IS 7 puppies that were reported to KAR - the report, based on the call, is that mum had 8, in total, originally and 1 died.

There have been numerous threads where you have expresssed your "dissatisfaction" with KAR and it seems to me that you are , again, using this thread to vent those feelings. It doesn't help the OP at all.

swyflot

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

Well said the2of us and Daisy the Dog, I think it would be hugely beneficial if the anti KAR brigade, instead of moaning about the deficiencies in the organisation, used their energy in a more positive way.....in plain English, got off their backsides and do something to help.....just my humble opinion , of course. Talk is cheap !!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.