North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice on Communal Maintenance Funding & set-up of Committee
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice on Communal Maintenance Funding & set-up of Committee

Advice on Communal Maintenance Funding & set-up of Committee

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Management Tips

» See all North Cyprus Property Management related threads

HotHippo

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hello All,

I'd be very grateful if anyone would be prepared to offer advice on how to go about setting-up a new Committee, to run and maintain the communal facilities on a development (30 apartments. pool, gardens, stairwells, parking areas & access road, et cetera).

After a false start, we are now have agreement from 26 out of 30 owners on how to move forward, including settlement of past arrears. Is there any advice available on-line that we could follow?

Thanks & Regards,

Eddie

laptaleigh

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Best advice....don't expect the locals to pay anything! Everyone told us this when we bought and they've been proven absolutely right. Of 12 locals on our site less than half have agreed to pay but want to use everything.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Leigh,

We've managed to get everyone on board, apart from a few absentee owners still left to track down.

It was worth the effort, and we now want to be sure the new Committee is set-up in accordance with the latest KKTC laws, to allow us to complete the job properly.

Thanks,

Eddie

laptaleigh

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

I'm glad you've been more successful than us. Once you've got it all finalised you'll have to reveal your secrets (or start up a management company) !

HotHippo

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Bloody-Mindedness! Nothing complicated about that!

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Ask pipie, she knows it all ;)

No seriously there is extensive coverage of the right way to go about things on the http://www.glencoecyprus.com forum, but remember the new floor easement law will not be available to you till people have their Kocans

Good luck you will need it

Lizzie

blade

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

You need to keep all people on board and informed at all times.

You are made up of owners so it would be down to them who does what .

You could also consider employing someone who is a qualified in running something like this.

Once you have a group of owners who are going to run things , best to set everyone an area of work, like chairman, secretary, complaints, treasurer, so on .

You then need to decide on a budget. Things like gardening which need doing, urgent repairs then , upgrades/ improvements. Once you have done that then it would be best to send the proposed budget out to all owners, saying that if anyone has anything to say,do it within say 14 or 28 days.

One thing you should budget for is what they call a sinking fund, money which is set by every year for major repairs. Set up a bank account with good interest and store it there.

You need to decide who pays what toward the service charge, does everyone pay equally or one bed flats pay less than two?

blade

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

In the UK this is decided by your lease but here in the TRNC i don't have a clue. If it doesn't state anything clearly then i think you should have smaller fee's for smaller properties, that would only be fair.

Any repairs or work you have done it would be best to get three quotes for each. There is no reason why owners couldn't also submit a quotes for those jobs.

Arrears, i think it is best to make a clear policy on .

I can only give you advice based on my knowledge of the UK system , where i am a director of a property Management company. Our company consists of 17 owners, even with such a small number it is never plain sailing. The main problem we find is the ones who don't take part or do to much are normally those people where problems with payment and other issues arise. Best to keep all people on side at all times, well as far as possible.

Good luck.

Geoff1131

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Hi Eddie, we did this on our site last year and it seems to be working well at the moment. If you want to have a chat ring me on 05338746345.

Geoff.

HotHippo

Message Posted:
17/11/2011 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for all the replies, and good advice, so far, Folks.

Geoff, I'll give you a call later tonight, if that's OK.

Cheers,

Eddie

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.