North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice needed! how to pay a speeding ticket
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice needed! how to pay a speeding ticket

Advice needed! how to pay a speeding ticket

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

larryf

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hi All,

A friend of mine is just back from northern Cyprus and at the airport upon leaving, the airport police informed him that he had a camera speeding ticket.

As he will not be back in Cyprus until next April, he is worried how he will pay this fine.

Any advice will be appreciated

Millwall123

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Same thing happened to me.

When I next entered the TRNC I was stopped at the Green Line by the police and asked to pay the fine, which i did.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Normally you would go to the police station in Girne to pay, but as your friend is not here, they may well ask him for the money when he comes back, if they don't, then just go along to the police station when he is here.

Hector

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I thought they didn't let you leave the country if you had an outstanding fine. Last time we left, we went to Girne police station the day before to check we didn't have any outstanding.

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Camera speeding fines take a long time to come onto the system, I picked one up last month for last December for the car which is registered in my name. Although the policeman at Girne was very nice to deal with, it was clear from my ins and outs that I was not in the country at the time.....however, I still had to submit my licence and pay the fine!! I have another speeding fine to pay, but this has not reached the system as yet although is noted at border control. I have been several times back to the police station, today included, and again the policeman (who has got to know me quite well now!!) told me 'not to be afraid when I leave the country' as it is still not onto there system and it is a question of looking through piles of paperwork to find it. He took my passport and made a note on the computer so as I would not be stopped at the border for any reason as he could see I was a little worried!!

spook

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Your friend needs to get someone to go to Girne Police station with the details and pay this for him, if he ignores this he will find that the cost will go up ie not paid within 20 days the fine is doubled, cant remember if it continues to grow.

He may have difficulty when re entering the TRNC or when he next comes to leave.

I was disputing a speeding ticket which was late, price doubled and i was told if not paid i could have difficuty when leaving, just plain blackmail.

larryf

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'll pass it on to my friend

spider

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

if he knows someone who can go to the police station with all his name details they can pay it on his behalf.

Spider,X

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Its not as simple as that. They will need your friends driving license to be able to endorse the points.

niceone

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

You get points on your licence?

How many for speeding ?

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Usually 3 points for speeding, once you hit 12 points you are diqualified from driving for a minimum of 3 months....

elko2

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 23:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Oh heck, all misleading or downright wrong information above. Here we go again:

1. If the porivate company that serves the tickets cannot find you, your name will get onto the computerr. Nothing to worry about. Next time you come top cyprus you will be told to go an "pay" the fine. This is not exactly true. You have a choice of three actions:

1. Do nothing and nothing will happen.

2. Go and pick up your ticket but don't pay. wait for the court summons. Nothing will happen in the meantime.

3. Go and pick up the ticket and pay the fine. End of matter.

Speeding fines entails points on the license and hence only the accused can accept the guilt and earn the points. A friend even with his license cannot accept the points on his behalf.

ismet

elko2

Message Posted:
21/11/2011 23:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

BTW, here in TRNC, you say goodbye to you license for three months if you earn 100 points. Next time you earn 100 points your license is suspended for 6 six months. It doubles every time. Your points are cleared afyter 15 months and you start with a clean slate.

I think the point system is like this:

5 points for speeding up to 20 km/h above the limit. After that its 25 points. Drink and driving automatically earns 100 points. If you are just over the limit you should insist on a blood test for better accuracy.

ismet

fosterscan

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Elko what happens to someone on holiday in a hire car with a uk license is it only a fine ?

elko2

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

msg. 14

No fine and no points unless you admit the guilt or found guilty in court. You have to be served with court summons before you can be tried. In any case, if you do not live here your points will be wiped away after 15 months. the points are recorded on the computer.

ismet

MrsSnakes

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 09:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

This is my experience. When Barry went in to pay the fine at Girne, they would not allow him to. They insisted they saw me. the name on the log book, with my licence and passport. This is at Girne, in the 'Radar' office. We only new about the speeding offences on the camera, when we crossed the border at Ledra. At passport control, I was told I had speeding offences. I offered to pay, he said he couldnt take any money, go to the police station to which we did. I think it who you deal with on the day! I/we are guilty, so the fine was paid. When we are out together which is most of the time, as a matter of habit we shout 'speed camera!' As you all know, they are 'grey', impossible to see at night...before it is too late!! I only wish the Police would concentrate a bit more on the kids that are not strapped in standing up....the people on their mobile phones.....and the bikers who roar along the by pass in the early hours of the morning!!!!!!!

westender

Message Posted:
22/11/2011 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Last week we crossed over at Ledra Street & the customs guy told my husband he had a speeding ticket, but not to worry when we re-entered they would give him a ticket to take to the police station. On coming back he was given a piece of paper with the reference no on it & told to to go to Girne Police Station within 48 hours, which we did. We were really surprised as the offence happened in May so couldn't understand why we were not told when we entered North Cyprus 2 weeks previously. They had books & books of uncollected fines there. If they could collect these fines & fine& collect the numerous people who don't wear seat belts etc etc they would sort the country's debts out oernight!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.