North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cruelty to dogs advice needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cruelty to dogs advice needed

Cruelty to dogs advice needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

paula121s

Message Posted:
26/11/2011 08:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi

I'm fairly new to the island and don't know what to do. Near where I live there are 2 puppies, they are probably only about 4months old. It sounds like they are being hurt and they are left howling all day. My partner went round to the house yesterday and said one puppy was locked in a cage and the other one out of the cage. I know that this is probably fairly normal here but listening to them crying all day is upsetting. Is there anything like the RSPCA here? If so does anyone have the number?

Thanks .

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
26/11/2011 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Try ringing Kyrenia Animal Rescue but not sure there is anything they can do(0)533 8694098.

Tinkie

Message Posted:
26/11/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

As sad as it is, there is very little that can be done. I think that as long as the dogs are being fed and have access to drinking water then KAR probably cannot get involved. Pups do yelp a lot, mine sounded like we were trying to murder her half the time in the first 6 months of her life, and the business with keeping them in cages if very common here. I am not trying to defend your neighbours as I cant stand the way animals are treated here, but we do have to accept that the level of care for animals here is generally not on scale that is acceptable to us. Good luck, and welcome to Cyprus, hope everything works out well for you here.

blade

Message Posted:
26/11/2011 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

A fb friend posted some cruelty pics/ fight against cruelty that sort of stuff.

Living here sad to say it is a basic part of life to see this stuff every day. The best way forward is to maybe try to speak with your neighbour in a nice way and offer them some sort of help and advice.

Don't ever tell them what to do, but advise in a kind way, i have found that works.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
26/11/2011 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Often the problem here is not deliberate cruelty, but neglect , either through ignorance or because animals are left alone while their owners are at work. Dogs often bark, whine etc through sheer boredom and loneliness , and like human young, puppies get bored more often and make more noise about it than full grown dogs!

If they have shelter, food and water they are probably better off even so than the many strays or dogs which are tied up all day.

Perhaps it would help to give them some toys. But do make sure they are safe - some dog toys on sale here can be shredded by a healthy puppy in minutes. Probably the knotted rope type are safest? Definitely not anything with foam rubber or similar which a dog could break up and swallow or hollow "tennis balls". And of course ask the owner's pemission first.

nicola

Message Posted:
27/11/2011 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Lets cut to the chase here, be brutally honest about this subject.

I for one am fed up with the Brits getting the biggest bashing about strays and dog cruelty, yes some of them leave their dogs when they go and they shouldn't, sort out your problems before you go or do not take a dog on, having said that if DEFRA weren't an idiotic government run by a bunch of muppets who think a silly little border stops rabies, SHOCK HORROR.

No Cypriot shoud be allowed to own a dog unless they can prove that it is well cared for, there should be a government dept to check these poor, starving, neglected, tied up all day and ignored 'pets' and if they are ill treated they should be removed.

The Cypriots have a clue how to look after dogs, end of.

nicola

Message Posted:
27/11/2011 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

That should read, HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE, they are cruel to animals in the extreme.

Tango1

Message Posted:
27/11/2011 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

KAR cannot go on to private property to rescue animals. That's the long and short of it really. As mentioned above, try and befriend the owners of the pups. You might be told to "push off" or something stronger in turkish, but at least you will have tried. Another scenario could well be that you will be offered the pups for sale!!!! By and large TC's and animals to not equate.

paula121s

Message Posted:
27/11/2011 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Thank you all for all the advice, we do go and play with them when we can but sometimes they are being hit or kicked there is a difference between them howling because their bored or hurt. We will just have to Try and get to know the owners although they not there often. Thank you once again for your advice

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
27/11/2011 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Paula: Well done, you obviously hve the right attitude. I hope you are successful in your approaches to the owners of the puppies - it sounds as if you have put your finger ont he problem - they are not there often enough to look after the puppies properly and dont know how to train them. But do also heed Tango's advice - the owners may regret getting the animals and try to pass them on to anyone who shows an interest!

I am sorry you have had such a sad introduction to North Cyprus. Cruelty to animals is upsetting anywhere, but despite some prejudiced and ill informed comments it is by no means restricted to Cypriots! I know some Cypriots who are extremely caring of animals and some Brits who are not to say the least.

Unfortunately KAR do just do not have the powers to deal with the odd occasion of blatent cruelty that the RSPCA do . Nor, sadly and misguidedly imho, do they see it as in their remit to help individual who are trying to make a difference.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.