North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dog attacked by something,
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dog attacked by something,

Dog attacked by something,

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

augustal

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

This morni ng our Pet German Shepherd puppy three months old was OK one minute then ,,,,, it looked through the window , it`s face was all distorted, it`s sharp looking nose was flat as a pancake, without exagerating it looked like a Bull Dog,,,,, I opened the Patio door, it stood there all dazed, it started shaking it`s head violently, then it`s eyes closed tight,,, it couldent see,,,, it was staggering side to side ,,, we picked it up and headed straight for the vets,,,, Agata my wife had it in her arms , it`s belly was full of red lumps,,,,, it`s nose was weeping water and it seemed to go to sleep, i told my wife it was more likely to be a snake bite,,, she was very upset,, we stopped at the vets, ran in ,,, he gave it two injections, adrenilin antihestimine,,,,,and steroids,,, we dident think he would wake uo but he did,,, the vet was fantastic,, he explained that the server swelling and symptoms were caused by an alergy to an insect bite or sting. you would not believe it? Scary

babydoll

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

glad he's ok who was the vet

augustal

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

The Vet was absolutley Brill, compasionate and helpfull, he charged us 30tl for the care and both injections and a follow up in 5 hours..... and thats less than I would put in the box at the RSPCA at home,,,,,,,, in England they would have charge far more than 100 pounds,,,,, it`s the Vet next to Freddies Bar in Lapta on the coast road...... cant say enough about him and how good he was......

Al,

decanddyl

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

We use Garfields for our cats and although there is a language barrier when it comes to treatment he is very good, professional and cares for the animals he is treating. Living in Karsiyaka it is very handed not having to travel too far as the cats don't really enjoy being in a car.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Augustal: Thank you for posting a happy ending animal story and one which demonstrates that some Cypriots can be compassionate .

I hope the puppy makes a full recovery and grows into a happy and healthy dog.

But as you say, scary! I know some humans can have allergic reactions to some insect bites. It seems as though animals can too?

BigMart

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Don't worry about it, this has happened to most of my dogs at some time in the past. It's an allergy to somethig, usually a plant, after it happening once and being treated it rarely happens again, they seem to build up an immunity after the initial dose.

Martin.

puppylover

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Glad to hear your puppy has recovered from his ordeal.

The youngest of our three dog's had a habit in the summer months of sticking her nose in our lavender bushes

and twice she got stung/bitten.

As you say, scary to see the reaction a bite/sting can have.

Our one looked like she had overdosed on botox and had raided my husband's Efes fridge. Her lips and head were huge with the swelling and she appeared to be drunk.

The first time it happened we weren't sure what had happened to her and rushed her to the nearest vet to us which is Garfield's, who like you say...were brilliant.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

Augustal: Thank you for posting a happy ending animal story and one which demonstrates that some Cypriots can be compassionate .

I hope the puppy makes a full recovery and grows into a happy and healthy dog.

But as you say, scary! I know some humans can have allergic reactions to some insect bites. It seems as though animals can too?

Ed1957

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 19:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Good post thanks for the vet's details too. Hope the puppy makes a full recovery.

puppy lover, I am jealous, I must tell my missus about a fridge dedicated to Efes, here's hoping

Giles

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Good post, with good info. Thank You.

augustal

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Puppylover. thats what she was like ,,,, drunk on Botox,,,,,,staggering side to side,,,,,, her face seemed to change to a china man in front of my eyes,,,,,,, it was like a special effect from the incredible Hulk movie,,,,,,,,,

Jesus,,,,,,, you dont half panick,,, I thought I best post this on here so other people know what to do,,,,, well what you do is ,,,, panick, scream, drive,, talk about snake bites and how she was a great dog,,, then you actually say your goodbyes to your dog while your wife is crying, then you get to the vets , speak jibberish and shout Snake bite,,,,,,,,, I actually needed a seditive myself, it was so depressing, it was like watching a Manchester City game.......... anyway she is here now,,, she`s OK,,, barking,,,,,,eating,,,,,,,, and everything else a puppy does,

Good A......

Al.... Thanks

puppylover

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

augustal

I can certainly relate to how you were feeling at the time...mine was sheer panic.

Drove like a (careful) lunatic, screaming at my husband not to let her fall asleep on his lap.

I then spent a sleepless night on our return from the vets checking on our Candy (she who likes to stick her head into bushes!!)

I always say that we have spent more time at the vets with our three dog's than we did at the doctors when our two daughter's were young children.

The joys of being a pet owner.

Glad you all survived and wish your puppy continued good health.

puppylover

Message Posted:
28/11/2011 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Ed1957 msg 9.

Like my dogs......my hubby is spoilt!

davpat

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

so nice to hear a bad situation being remedied successfully by a careing Cypriot,trust all goes well for the future for your puppy.

David

dap3081

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Ref. Message 11. ''it was so depressing, it was like watching a Manchester City game'' I take it you are referring to to the Manchester City v Manchester United game when United were beaten 6-1.

Glad to hear she made a full recovery, poor little thing.

Allan

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Msg 3

As a dog owner I can understand your anguish when something harms your pet as it did and really pleased it had a happy ending.

As for the vets bill of a £100.00 or more in the UK, I think this is a little over the top, our retriever will eat most things, no everything!! And she was violently ill, after rushing her to the vets the total bill was less than £30.00, (3 injections, tablets etc) so not too bad. You obviously have a good vet and a good deal, but they do vary so much. Good Luck

ingalill

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 11:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Augustal: your wife's name is Agata - is she polish perhaps? sorry for this questions but Im looking for polish people in KKTC. If she is polish maybe she would like to meet with other polish women here?

Hack_the_mac

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

There are some spiders with a nasty bite in cyprus I was bitten on the arm and hospitalised last time I was out .

deputydawg

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

We are aware that cats can be as vunerable as dogs to these distressing incidents and once came upon a neighbour's one that had a head twice it's normal size. It was also Garfields immediate treatment which brought the cure within 48 hours. Evidently, as is the case with some humans, even a wasp bite can bring about dramatic reactions in animals.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.