North Cyprus Tourist Board - NEU Dental Hospital - definate No from me !
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > NEU Dental Hospital - definate No from me !

NEU Dental Hospital - definate No from me !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Today i went along to NEU Dental Hospital as i had a wobbly bridge (front teeth). I had heard good things about them . The building/equipment is modern, clean and very up to date. Had to produce passport or driving licence to book in. Was seen very quicky and given a panoramic xray - had a consultation with trainee. Up to this point all was looking good. But after looking at the xray he told me i would need an operation on my jaw due to an infection ! as he was a trainee he said i had to go and see his "surgeon" on 4th floor.

The surgeon was accompanied by 6 students - they looked at the Xrays and discussed things (in Turkish). He then asked me why i was there and what did i want him to do ? i explained "wobbly bridge can you fix it ?" he told me it was impossible to fix and i would need it replacing - at the same time he felt it would be better to have ALL of my upper teeth removed ( admittedly a lot are crowns but no probems) and have a full fixed bridge ! ctd in next post

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

ctd

I would also need an operation to remove an infection ! I was gobsmacked as you can imagine ! We then had a discussion about what was absolutely the bare minimum i could get away with to "fix" my wobbly bridge. The least he recommend was to take out 4 front teeth (including the bridge) and replace with a 4 tooth bridge. I needed time to think and also needed a price. He sent me to the front desk with a scrap of paper. the lady there looked in a folder and wrote down, for me, the total price 4 x 450 TL plus 4 x 36 TL Total 1944TL. But extra for the infection operation. I was thinking its a lot of money but if it is the only way then its also probably cheaper than UK. She then used the phone and the "surgeon" reapppeared. He asked me what i thought and i said i needed to discuss it with hubby. I was still in shock at what i needed done ! Then he proceeded to tell me that if it was too expensive he could arrange for it to be cheaper if i agreed tot he students doing the work. ctd

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

The reduced price would be 1361TL. They could start the work later that day and after 10 days it would all be finished (except the operation !).If i was happy with them then they could do the remaining extraction (which he recommended) and replace the rest of my teeth with a bridge at a later date. I still said i needed to go away and discuss it with hubby. I left (after paying 60TL) with the tel no ready to ring to say when i wanted it done..

After talking to hubby who was also shocked i decided just on the off chance to call into Smile in Girne. I got in there at 2.30 - she examined me and asked if i had any problems with it before(no), she took xrays of the wobbly area/tooth and said "no problem i can fix that for you - if you want i can do it now" She said there is no way the bridge needed to be replaced and certainly no other treatment was necessary (apart from usual scale and polish). I left there at 3.30 with NO wobble, a bill for 80TL and an appt for the scale and polish.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

As you can imagine i was delighted - but at the same time absolutely furious with NEU. I appreciate that they may have seen something that meant at some point in the future I may have needed some treatment but what they were suggesting was so drastic for, what seemed to me (and also Ipek at Smile), to be a relatively minor problem. I had half expected having to have a new bridge just to replace the wobbly one (not knowing if bridges could be repaired) but not a "reccomendation" that i have all my upper teeth removed !!!!!!

I for one will ceratinly not be going back to NEU and i hope that anyone who has any doubts about a reccomendation - please get a second opinion - do not rely just on what they at NEU are saying.

If i had listened to them i would be sitting here with no upper teeth now !!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

another triumph for good old super glue....................

Giles

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

Ignoring NN the 44 village idiot, this is what a forum should be about. Solid information, well explained.

Makes a nice change from the FaceBook rubbish that some post pretending it to be info.

Earlybird

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 17:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

I have to say that I had a similar experience on my last visit to NEU. They found all sorts that "needed doing" although I had no problems with anything they were saying. I ended up having one tooth extracted and did not go back for the "necessary treatment".

Could you give information for Smile please?

Sazna

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 18:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

i had exactly the same experience i went for tooth pain in one tooth and was told i needed four root canals and eight fillings i refused to take their word for it so got a second opinion turns out i only needed one root canal and three fillings.

Just another place trying to scam money out of everyone.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Earlybird - SmileCare clinic is just down the road from Passport Restaurant in Kyrenia. The dentist is called Ipek Gurpinar and she studied/trained in London and speaks perfect English. She explained everything that she was doing and why. She also discussed with me what would need to be done if i have repeated problems with my wobbly bridge - but she thinks it is unlikely to reoccur. The tel no for Smile is 0392 815 2812

I have no doubt that there are members who have had good experiences with NEU but, from my perspective, what they were recommending seemed so drastic and they were very intent on rushing my decision for them to begin their course of treatment, that i felt i was being taken advantage as well as being offered wrong advise.

Tango1

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Perhaps I should get a second opinion about the back Op. that I'm "going to need" within the next year then!!!

martinD41

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 21:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

Tango 1 ,, If you are referring to a "spinal op" , don't go back to the" no hope heath service"(NHS) in UK, you will wait years, and get less than acceptable treatment .....

Earlybird

Message Posted:
29/11/2011 22:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

The2ofus, thank you very much for the information. Much appreciated.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

The other factor is how much you can trust the 'estimate'. I went into NEU for a femoral bypass in both legs but in the end they only did one - but the bill for that one was nearly 3 times the estimate for both. NEVER NEVER AGAIN!

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Tango1, if you have back problems get a second opinion from Doctor Erol Barcin, his number is 0392 227 7917

Tango1

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

FF, where is he based please.

Msg. 11. If you ever have the time (and I won't put it on the Forum because a reprocusions) I will relate to you of anguish we have been through lately trying to get an Op. for my husband back in the UK and have been turned down. For those of you who think its easy, let me tell you what isn't enough to have one now if you live in TRNC. Rules came into force mid August of this year.

1. UK passport isn't enough

2. NI number isn 't enough

3. Owning property isn't enough

4. Paid taxes and NI for 47 years isn't enough

5. Still paying UK taxes isn't enough

Required: Six continuous months of living in UK out of 12 months.

Both Dr and Consultant said he could have Op. Beurocrats said he CAN'T

Howere IMMIGRANTS can have any Op. necessary after 3 Months and sometimes after 3 weeks.

IF MODS NEED TO MOVE THIS TO ANOTHER THREAD, PLEASE DO SO.

ingalill

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Jeez and I heard so nice things about NEU Hospital. I wanted to go to dental surgeon there to ask what to do with my two 8th teeth that grew up in wrong position and now pushing my upper teeth (which sometimes hurts).

I have traumatic experience with dentists since childhood time so I have dentist phobia. For sure after reading this I wont go to NEU...Probably I will visit Smile in Kyrenia as you suggested.

Whistler

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

btt. Back to the top please as this is VERY important for ex-pats living here.

heaven

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

I am having superb treatment at the NEU dental hospital. They are putting right treatment done by a dentist in Girne. I went to dentist for my check in Girne, they said I needed fillings re doing. After giving me an injection and drilling hole, I was told that I needed bridge and that my decision would depend on type of filling. I had no time to think so very unfortunately I agreed. I went through hell for the next 5 weeks. The teeth were ground down and the nerves left exposed. I was in so much pain but told it would all disappear when bridge was on!!! To cut a long story short, no x rays were taken at beginning to see suitability and depite still being in pain, the new bridge was put on permanently! I was still in pain and went for second opinion to NEU. Thank goodness I did. The brige which cost 1,350TL had to be sawed off and even now after treatment, they are not happy to replace it until they are sure that the tooth is okay. Well done NEU and I would totally recommend it as would

heaven

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 15:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

As above my message. I would totally recommend NEU as would others I know who have used ıt. Trainees are not allowed to decide on treatment and it is always a trained member of staff who treats you other then in cleaning of teeth

judyr

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Message 15. If you satisfy all of the criteria you listed, how did they even know whether you have been resident for 6 months or not?

Tango1

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Msg.20 You will note that NONE of the above, even if you lump them altogether is sufficient to have an Op. under NHS any longer. British Resideents Department in Hospitals ask to see your Passport, plus they ask to see your bank statement to show that you have being buying goods in UK shops and using UK ATM machines over a continuous 6 month period. We've been on the receiving end of this for months now. UK doesn't want to know any longer.

harita

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

A friend had to get "Ins & Outs" from the police station in TRNC .. Enough said !

scruff

Message Posted:
30/11/2011 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Back to dentists. Both my husband & I have used Seda Sergar since 2002. We have had twice yearly checkups, scaling & cleaning. We have both had the odd filling, root canals & Crowns & the other half has had one extraction during this time. He has always been a nervous patient but has no problems whatsoever with Seda. I have had several years with no treatment at all other than the checkups/cleaning. Highly recommended & I would never go anywhere else.

pammick

Message Posted:
01/12/2011 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Ladentist - opposite the roundabout at the top of the road leading to the new harbour. Laden is brilliant, have been going to her since first arriving here 6 years ago, speaks perfect english, does not rip you off and provides an excellent service.

Mallard

Message Posted:
01/12/2011 11:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Scruff - me too! Seda is in my opinion the best dentist here. Had a lot of cosmetic dentistry done this year, through choice and it cost less than £1,000.00. Fabulous job and pain free.

Mrs Mallard

jake1

Message Posted:
06/12/2011 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

where is seda based please?

Mallard

Message Posted:
06/12/2011 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Jake 1 - keeping the post office and law courts on your left in Girne, travel a very short distance past and you will see a chemist on your right. Seda is above there. Her number is 0392 815 8899.

Good luck!

Hobnob

Message Posted:
06/12/2011 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

I am afraid I would not trust Seda with a barge pole!

I had Seda looking after my teeth and no problem when it was just a clean and polish but when something serious had to be done ......

After taking one of my teeth out, she then went and left small parts of 2 roots which then caused and awful infection. I then had to go traipsing into Lefkosa to one of the dental surgeons for a minor op to get the roots removed, it ruined my holiday and cost me a fortune!

cypgab

Message Posted:
06/12/2011 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

That sort of thing happens. I have a good dentist in the UK but went through the same experience.

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
07/12/2011 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

Tango1, Doctor Erol is based in Lefcosia.

Not only is he good, we couldn't find his surgery, so he got in his car, and came and found us!!!

After my husbands' surgery, he didn't want us to pay for an ambulance to take him back to hospital to have his dressing changed and stitches removed, so Dr Erol came to our house and removed them.

The cost....., a cup of coffee.

How's that for service?????

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.