North Cyprus Tourist Board - Is this done in Northern Cyprus or is it "not done"..?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Is this done in Northern Cyprus or is it "not done"..?

Is this done in Northern Cyprus or is it "not done"..?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 76 in Discussion

When people get old(er) some of them don't eat as much as they used to do. My wife and I regularly find out that we can't finish the meal we ordered. Half of it in some restaurants would have been enough for us.

So. Would it be reasonable to order one meal, two plates and two forks/knives (and pay a little extra for that service)?

Or is this "not done" in Northern Cyprus?

mamachina

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 76 in Discussion

Must admit Ive seen people order one dessert and 2 spoons quite often, and done it myself - but so far have never done it for a main meal. Can you ask for a childs portion? some places do smaller plates for children.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 76 in Discussion

If you want an honest answer that's the most tight arse thing i have ever heard, if i was a restaurant owner i would tell you were to go. But saying that when i was living in the roc me and my ex would buy a takeaway from the indian, rice and curry and the portions were so big we discussed just buying one meal and sharing, but that's eating at home, i think in a restaurant that is tight rude and would give ex pats an even worse name.

just my opinion though.

yrret

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 76 in Discussion

Unlike Steve, I maybe have a little different business sense and understand that half of something is better than all of nothing, so I would say if you were up front on entering the restaurant, and told them you weren't too hungry, so could you do what you suggest, then they have the option to say no (assuming they are packed out of the doors and can turn it away) or accept the business.

We often do it with the kids as they can rarely eat a full meal each.

Let's hope Steve carries on doing his own 'tight arse' stuff in the comfort of his own home, and not in public.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 76 in Discussion

Buffavento restaurant gives you enough to feed 6 when you order for two, we asked for a small portion each of the main dish, but it still came out huge and was wasted...

I did chat to the manager on duty about how the potions were just to great for the average diner, he said the Turkish cliental would say this was a normal meal!

Dont think its quite the 'ticket' to ask for an extra knife/fork and plate! they would think you didn't have enough money...

mamachina

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 76 in Discussion

Answer to steve - most restaurant owners here are very obliging, and am sure would be agreeable to help if asked nicely! One here, knows I dont eat potatoes etc, so automatically just gives me a salad with his fish now - no problems - and doesnt look at me with an odd look when I take off the batter - he said he couldnt cook it without!!!!

Pipie

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 76 in Discussion

We very often share a sweet and never has it been an issue wherever we have eaten.

I would just ask for a smaller portions on the main course.

Allan

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 76 in Discussion

Dutch

We do it in the UK and the restaurant owner knows we do it not to scrimp on cost merely appetite, we generally do this is in our regular curry house as my wife does not eat much. I think some restaurant owners / managers may not find this acceptable but some will, so the best thing is to quietly speak to the manager as you go in (or telephone prior to your visit). So to msg 3, not "tight arse" as long as you get have a starter, drinks and so on. And of the course the restaurant are happy with your regular custom and we as the customer are happy. What more could you ask for?

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 76 in Discussion

I have witnessed people ordering half portions in the Courtyard and Mo must be used to it because he didn't bat an eyelid. Also saw a group of people who ordered bhagees and chips to share in Rafters on a busy Sunday afternoon, again served without any problem.

A lot of restaurants in the UK are offering small and large portions of main meals or starters served with chips. I have gone for this option myself and find it better than leaving a large ammount of food and being embaressed when the waiter asks if it wasn't to my satisfaction.

I think that most restaurants would be happy to do it, rather than not have customers.

davedee

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 76 in Discussion

Having several restaurants in the past in the u.k, never have I been asked to have a main course shared, however I have had many customers come as early diners and have maybe 3 starters to share between two! However as we are all here to earn a reasonable living I would not have been happy to accommodate such customers on a busy Saturday night!!

And Dizzy beware of those potions!

And yes Pipie many asked for smaller portions.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 76 in Discussion

sorry meant portions ... davedee lol...

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 76 in Discussion

Sorry i must of miss read this , i thought he was saying please can i have a set 1 for myself and and empty plate and cutlery for the wife, so i can give her half the food. Eating out is not just filling the gap like what you do at home, soon as you set a precedent that's it everyone will be doing it, and that is not good business. But of course if you can have the front to do this and the restaurant owners let you, no skin of my noise, but not something i would do. Good luck with it.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 76 in Discussion

What about taking or asking for a doggy bag !!!i.e. to take home and feed your dogs,or have it youselves next day

Mike

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 76 in Discussion

I've seen in many restaurants the local (British) solution: order a full meal and have 1/3 or even 1/2 of it put in a "doggy bag" (does the dog ever see it or..?).

We had never seen that custom in Holland, but I must say: smart! After reading the replies in this thread we may adopt it...

westender

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 76 in Discussion

When we go to Pasta Mania I generally order the lasagne. It's so big I can only eat half but they very obligingly put the other piece into a container which I take home & have for lunch the next day.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 76 in Discussion

There you go the restaurant owner agrees with me.

frankedad

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 76 in Discussion

i have always had a doggie bag for my curries and such like..tastes better for breakfast .. and bones for my dogs. never been refused that..but if refused i would have to have a growl at someone .

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 76 in Discussion

You have got that right, left over curry for breakfast, lovely.

blade

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 76 in Discussion

One meal , two plates is not done.

But as i know you have dogs, what is acceptable is to ask for a doggie bag to take the left overs home for the dog in. My Cypriot friends do it all the time.

poochielover

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 76 in Discussion

Try going for a Tapas night at JK's, there you get individual dishes of prawns, spare ribs, noodles etc..That way, you can order as little or as much as you like for 3-4 tl per portion each, a wide choice on the menu and very nicely cooked.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 76 in Discussion

Re: Msg 1,

I don't see why a customer in TRNC cannot expect (like in the rest of the normal world) to order a small portion, and to expect to pay less for it.

In the US they are called small portions, in Canada - pensioner's portions, on the continent - children's or diet portions.

Overloading plates with food is a bad manner, it also encourages gluttony.

As for doggy bags, I cannot think of anything more repulsive, embarrassing and in bad taste. These are restaurants after all - not charity soup kitchens or old folk's nursing homes. Besides, dogs are not pigs, they should be fed dog's food, not leftovers.

So, it is time to be "a done thing" to introduce small portions on the menus in local restaurants.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 76 in Discussion

This is really about trying to turn two nights a week out into four. If its to much just leave it,its best to much than to little on your plate, its okay for two children to share an adult meal, but two adults in a restaurant that's a little strange. Clarissa2 that is complete rubbish you don't do that in the uk at all, of course some places do childrens meals, but you cant go into a restaurant and say i'm hard up this week can i have half a steak and 3 peas please, my ex girlfriend was a small eater but at least a good portion was there if she wanted it, you cant say just do her half of portion for half the price mate can you. I have never heard anything like it in my life, if you cant afford it don't eat out, if its to much food just eat what you can, no one is offended, I'll try that one down my local curry house this weekend, i'll say you know your curry and rice which is £5.00 can i have a small one for £2.50, and i know what they will say piss of to the ymca you pikey.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 76 in Discussion

I agree that it would not be the done thing on a busy evening and also I think it depends on the way restaurants serve their food. If they serve salad/chips separately I do not see why you could not say you wish to share say the main course. This is something my friends and I have done at lunchtime in Silver Rocks as they serve such huge portions. They absolutely do not have a problem with it and are very accommodating.

Clarissa, on numerous occasions I have been out for a meal (mainly Sunday lunchtime) with a big table of Cypriots and they always shovel everything left over (and I mean everything) into supermarket carrier-bags to take home to their dogs!

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 76 in Discussion

Just did a burger king drive through, those burgers are so big i paid for half of one instead saved me 1.20, now i can do the same tomorrow. swapping a bit of food is fine but trying to skimp on paying for a whole meal is as tight as it gets. In a pub if your buying lots of drinks sharing chips and bits is not a problem your right.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 76 in Discussion

It do not think is is rude or a matter of being tight fisted if the request is made politely. Sometimes starters, which are enjoyable, but extremely generous portions, are too much with a large main dish to follow and intent to do that justice also. If with another couple who have only average appetites we often share 2 starters between us and explain to the waiter that the size of the starters are generous. We have never encountered any problems with this and if the food and service is good we always tip a minimum of 10%.

cinders

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 76 in Discussion

Dutch, you really are the most stupid person in the TRNC, just ask for a small portion or is your brain matter finally failing after all the alcohol you consume.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 18:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 76 in Discussion

Gosh, what a mixed bag of postings. Bet Msg 1 wished he had never asked! I certainly did not think he deserved to be insulted to that degree. He was merely asking for opinions not javelins in the chest!

When I go out for a meal I am mortified if the portions are huge. I have to do without a starter to enable me to tackle the main course when in truth I would rather just have a starter and then a coffee. I also think that the portions are enormous and I absolutely hate waste. Half the world is dying of hunger and I would rather pay less also for a smaller meal and leave nothing on the plate.

I honestly prefer the buffet option where I can just help myself to exactly what I can eat.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 76 in Discussion

I thank the decent English speaking people in this thread for writing down their opinion. Interesting. The other posts are where they belong. The bin.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 76 in Discussion

who's insulted him, i think hes one of the members who does the most for this forum. But the truth is and its obvious its not about how big meals are its about seeing if they can pull of two meals for the price of one. So the plan he has is very good, you go to a restaurant that does big portions then divide it in two and get a night out for the price of one, he wants to know if he can get away with it, and why not. But i think he will be very lucky if he does. He is far from stupid he knows what hes trying to pull off, good luck to him if he does it, but i think hes going to need it.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 76 in Discussion

Clarissa, what is clearly "repulsive, embarrassing and in bad taste" to you is not to millions of others around the world. In China, for instance, the waiters box every bit of the leftovers and parcel it up neatly without even being asked. In the Middle East it is a common occurrence, although the Saudis tend to leave most of their meals behind...

But to elevate your nose by ten or more degrees when spying someone at another table bagging leftovers is in my opinion simple snobbery, which, again in my opinion, has never been much of an argument.

martinD41

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 19:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 76 in Discussion

Unfortunately many Brits are more concerned with "value for money" (adequate portions)rather than the quality of the food...

philbailey

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 76 in Discussion

Go back to that place you went last night

they did not give you too much

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 76 in Discussion

I never thought of that I could be considered "replusive, embarrassing and in bad taste" when I asked for 75% of my pizza to be boxed up!

How silly of me not to consider that I might be guilty of such offensive behaviour.

And how curious that you would spend your evening watching us "repulsive" diners doing it!

What a sad world.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 76 in Discussion

It's not really a sad world, shl, it just contains a few too many sad and stupid people.

rowlo

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 76 in Discussion

hey , you paid for it , if you can't eat it all , why not take it home , think of it like this , you go out for a lovely meal , and also go home with a take away , nothing wrong with that .

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 76 in Discussion

Depends who snobby you are.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 76 in Discussion

Well, it's certainly done in Dipkarpaz, I also hater waste, but then some of the people here probably think, when you live in the back of beyond anything is likely

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
12/12/2011 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 76 in Discussion

I dont see why one should be forced to eat more than one wants or to waste good food, because one has a small appetite and the portions are large. I occasionally share a main course with a friend or ask for a "doggy bag" (sometimes the dogs even get it - depends on whether it is suitable for them) and if on my own only ask for a starter and a sweet. But I only do it in resteraunts that I frequent and wher the owners know they will get repeat custom and I do not intend it as an insult. I admit I would be embarrassed to do it in a new place.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 76 in Discussion

No one forces anyone, no one cares if a bit is left over. If your embarrassed with a new place it says it all, so what do you do go to the same place and buy two meals until you have the confidence to share one. Its okay to share some chips and bits and bobs, but to divide a meal to save money and then blame it on the concern of wasted food is funny.

philbailey

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 00:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 76 in Discussion

I have lost count of complaints on here saying

"I left hungry"

so really damned if you do , damned if you don't!

bigOz

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 01:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 76 in Discussion

Now I believe what the owner of a popular "fish & chips" place said, when I complained about the size of fish being considerably smaller than my visit the previous week. His response was "Sorry gardaş, but the English people eating here have been complaining about the portions being too big - so I am now frying them smaller".

Now me and my family don't go there anymore and he has lost a regular customer, becuse some IDIOT decides after few beers to compliment the owner by stating "you are serving really big portions". What the hell? If you have small apetite or a small stomach to go with your size, then eat what you can and do not worry about the 20 grams of fısh that you may leave behind! You would be making quite a few local cats very happy... As a non-drinker, what if I were to start complaining he is selling the beer really cheap? BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

simbas

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 05:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 76 in Discussion

I feel the abundance of wasted food it is quite obscene with so much hunger in the world , a well known Bogaz Restaurant serves huge portions , i have asked on several occasions for smaller portions of fish to no avail , but i do ask for a bag and take it back for the dogs on our site . But on the whole if we are not that hungry , and we know the portion sizes of the food served , we are able to request 1 meal and share it in quite a few establishments .

Simbas

pollymarples

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 07:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 76 in Discussion

There is nothing wrong with ordering one meal and two plates. I have heard someone refused a child's portion, when asked why, the answer 'you are not a child.'

In one of the restaurant chains in the USA there are seniors meals. But freqently I have seen an older couple order one meal and two plates and no one batted an eyelid. I also think the ordering of a coffee and it being continually filed during the meal is one of the US's better ideas.

As for being a tight arse, why pay for food you cannot eat. You could always put the money saved in the charity box if you feel that way.

My friend in the US, never finishes her meal (same age as me) and always takes what is left home for her lunch the next day. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

I certainly cannot eat as much now and I, like a lot of people do have a fixed income, so I will not throw money or foood away.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 76 in Discussion

I find it disappointing that after asking a serious question (with reasons: msg 1) some C44 members found it necessary to write accusations of being a "tight ... etc". Well, I think that people living outside the TRNC are not exactly the experts to answer my question about behaviour in TRNC. Just for the record.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 76 in Discussion

Look at the ages on their profiles, maybe that is why DC. To be fair, when I was young (oh so far away) I probably thought the same way.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 76 in Discussion

It does not matter if its in cyprus uk or holland its not right and no decent restaurant will allow it. If your really that fussy then ask for a little bit less, and they should not charge any less. The man who said he had three restaurants is not going to be wrong is he. Hans why don't you man up and admit your just trying to see if its a done thing to divide one meal into two to save money, sharing a plate of food in a spit and saw dust venue is one thing but going to a proper restaurant with silver service and saying i'll have the beef stew and my mrs will have an empty plate please is another, then trying to move some of the meal on to the empty plate without making a mess. Hans if it was not about you trying to get two for the price of one, you would not of even started this thread, you would just asked the chef to put slightly less on the plate, simple as that. Asking for another plate is a big difference to sharing a plate of chicken nuggets when watching the football.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 76 in Discussion

Pollymarples

Whats age got to do with it, read thread 1 it is what it is. It makes no difference if a bit of food is left over, its not going to make any difference to people starving in some countries. Restaurants will always try and fill you up, if they put to little on your plate you will only complain and not come back, no one does not go back because there was to much on the plate. What was really meant in message 1 is very obvious to anyone with half a brain, and i agree if your that worried about the last sausage left on your plate, put it in a doggy bag and take it home, and if your really concerned about people starving give money to charity, don't make up crap to try and justify what you are suggesting or doing, just admit it. I would love to see the look on a restaurant owners face if a couple asked for the special and an empty plate, surely people have not got that much front, they would get there marching orders straight away in any half decent establishment.

simbas

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 76 in Discussion

You know Steve you really are a charmer , i don't know why you bother with us half brainers

Simbas

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 76 in Discussion

Well simbas i'm not trying to score brownie points, i'm just being honest and giving you all just what you want.

Anyway apparently they are having a concert in ethiopia to raise money for the ex pats of the trnc.

simbas

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 76 in Discussion

Forgive me Steve , But is that supposed to be funny ?

Simbas

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 76 in Discussion

Simbas

I did and that's all that matters.

jimchris09

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 76 in Discussion

Given the global spread of American styles of food and its consumption, I am sure most cafes and restaurants would be happy to offer the one meal/two plate idea, doggybags or small (kids/seniors) portions for whoever wants them. After all, they don't mind if you are sweaty and in a vest and shorts or other such unseemly attire...but that was another thread on here last year wasn't it?

Lundunsip

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 76 in Discussion

If you order 1 meal for 2 people, expect a high 'spit to food' ratio from the chef and waiters! ;)

LooseBoots

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 76 in Discussion

I agree there is no need for abuse when asking a question.

When we went to the USA a steak restaurant in Florida expected you to have a doggy bag or polystyrene box to take the excess away. So why not here as some places give huge portions.

Lundunsip

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 76 in Discussion

If you get too much food in a restaurant in North Cyprus, it's 100% acceptable to ask the waiter for a 'packet' (doggy bag) for the leftovers.

You'll look look a bit of plum if you ask for a packet in the Colony Hotel restaurant, but in most places it's hunky dory.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 17:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 76 in Discussion

spot on, that is what you could expect.

britvic

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 76 in Discussion

I am a 'light' eater Mr britvic is not so, I ask for a starter as a main course. No problem

pollymarples

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 76 in Discussion

steve,sewell. If you bother to open your eyes before your mouth, you will see from DC's thread, the whole point was that older people (me) eat a lot less than younger people (you).

Now you may think it very clever to try to put down people who do not willingly throw their money around buying food they know they cannot eat but the question was asked by DC whether it is acceptable to order one meal for two people and in my opinion, it is., and frankly if I wanted to order one meal between three people then I would.

Now stick to the thread instead of trying to be clever because you are not very good at it.

blade

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 76 in Discussion

Here we would always take any leftovers home for our dogs, as do my Cypriot friends. If my dogs have just had a big meal then i will take it for my Cypriot friends dogs.

After all there is only a small number of restaurants where you are welcome to sit outside with your dog.

In Germany as i remember dogs were always allowed inside restaurants, in the UK we take the dog to the pub or cafe and sit outside in the summer. So many of us have dogs but so few places cater for us. I would love to take my girls with me for a meal when the weather is good.

Sadly they have to have a takeaway.

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 76 in Discussion

Blade, you are right, not only are dogs allowed in restaurants in Germany, but also in food shops, as in France,

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 76 in Discussion

pollymarples

Your entitled to your opinion. My opinion is, in most restaurants it would not be allowed and rightly so. Just like the restaurant owner said. So lets agree to disagree.

ROBIN HOOD

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 76 in Discussion

Work on the principle if you're paying for it you can do what you like with it. If they give you enough salad to feed 20 goats. Either take it home put your fag ends in it. It's yours, paid for, I don't even have a dog. I just ask if I can take the rest home for my wife.

steve.sewell

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 76 in Discussion

I would like to apologise to the op for calling him tight, i'm not 100% that this is the case so sorry hans.

However i stand by the fact that in most decent restaurants it is not right or normal to order a meal and an empty plate for two to share.

simbas

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 76 in Discussion

That is very noble of you Steve

Simbas

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 00:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 76 in Discussion

What a lot of false snobbery! The assumption that is you dont want to be overfaced witha plate full of more f ood that you can eat you are being mean and vulgar! A really first class resteraunt which wants to please its customers and get a reptation for good food and service, and encourage a regular and respectable cientelle will understand the importance of presentation - and that someone who understands good food does not want to spoil his appetite by filling up too much on one course - and will be happy to allow two people to share one course. I have known resteraunts that were happy to provide very small taster courses for people who were not sure if a particular dish might, for instance , be too rich for them. They realise that if people leave feeling they have had a "pleasant sufficiency" are more likley to return than those who are bloated by eating too much- just to prove they can afford it - or vaguely dissatisfied because they have had to leave food uneaten.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 76 in Discussion

They will also probably spend more money on puddings, coffees and liquers!

Its the cheaper establishments who rely on pre-prepared , sometimes pre-cooked food, and have too few and overworked staff who cannot cater for the discerning diner!

A good chef wants people to enjoy his food - if that means taking it in small portions that is fine.

Oh and surely if you are in a group, that is the joy of mezze - the idea is you can eat as much or as little as you want and share with your friends.

pollymarples

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 76 in Discussion

steve.sewell, Always happy to agree to disagree with a gentleman, especially one big enough to apologise to DC as you did.

It may not be normal here steve. In the US it is not only normal but very common amongst seniors.

To avoid having food spat on, I would order the meal, then when it is served, ask for the second plate.

I have been called cheapskate very often for even buying here, so being called one for ordering only what I want, I can live with.

Lundunsip

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 76 in Discussion

When I get on a dolmus, I get my wife to sit on my lap and my daughter to sit on her lap and we just pay for 1 person. It's not the money, it just means that we only have to take up one seat.

I'm going to try the same thing when we fly to the UK next year

Jeannie

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 12:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 76 in Discussion

Lundunsip - what a good idea.

Let us know how you get on with that

hattikins

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 76 in Discussion

When we visit Tervetuloa Hotel I usually order their delicious Borek with Yoghurt sauce, the portions are very large so when I order I ask for just two Borek, there is never a problem with that and it saves extra being cooked and wasted.

I would ask at any restaurant for a small portion but am not sure I would feel comfortable asking for an extra plate to share a main course, perhaps share a dessert but other than that I'm not too sure it would be acceptable.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 76 in Discussion

If we are going to a restaurant where I know they serve large portions (most of them) I often have a starter rather than a main course. I also think it's quite acceptable to share a dessert

I dont like to see food wasted (not that we get a lot of that, with Paul )

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 76 in Discussion

We often share a dessert Jeannie.

I can't believe how much controversy there is above over something so simple. Where we live, meals are usually large, some ridiculously so.

It is the norm for people to take food home, not for 'doggie', but for themselves.

Why anyone should find that offensive I can't think.

Honeybee

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 76 in Discussion

To get round this i often order the starter version, i have never had a problem with this, as long as you make it clear you want it brought out with everyone elses main.

scruff

Message Posted:
19/12/2011 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 76 in Discussion

Well I have recently asked for 1 meal & 2 plates & this was no problem whatsoever. This is a restaurant that we use a lot. The portions that are served in one of my favourite restaurants are enormous for some dishes like pasta & pizza. Curry is another area with usually far too much rice.

Since nowadays so many people are obese (myself included) I was interested to hear that they are now serving smaller portion Pensioners meals in the USA. As Pollymarples so rightly says, most people as they get older have smaller appetites & do not burn up so much energy & to be served big meals is off putting. Maybe Steve.sewell will one day remember this.

Often TCs ask for the spare food to be 'paket' & I'm sure they eat the remaining food later or the next day, rather than give it to the dog.

The fact that this would not happen in the UK. says reams about the stuffiness of UK. restaurants.

I am not talking about Michelin starred establishments here btw.

Thank goodness eating out here is

scruff

Message Posted:
19/12/2011 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 76 in Discussion

ctd.

more relaxed & enjoyable.

MaB76

Message Posted:
20/12/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 76 in Discussion

DutchCrusader: We have all kınds of requests at Antıque Restaurant, Esentepe and havıng 1 meal dıvıded onto 2 plates ıs not unusual. Also, havıng 2 starters ıs quıte popular, 1 as a starter & 1 served wıth the maıns. Our portıons are known to be quıte large, but nothıng ever goes to waste, what the customers can't eat the sheperd dog up the road can

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.