North Cyprus Tourist Board - Prescription Specs in North Cyprus and TC Restaurant
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Prescription Specs in North Cyprus and TC Restaurant

Prescription Specs in North Cyprus and TC Restaurant

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

» Kyrenia Restaurants

» Famagusta Restaurants

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

johnerebus

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi, We'll be in the TRNC over the Xmas period and I'd like to buy a pair of glasses as I believe they're cheaper there. I have my prescription and the least expensive I can buy here in the UK are approximately £250 for a pair of Varifocals. Can anyone help with suggestions of cost for a pair of glasses with Varifocal lenses and recommend an optician please, preferably around the Girne area?

As we're still waiting, after 7 years, for our house to be completed we'll be staying in a hotel and I'd like to treat the family to a Turkish Cypriot meal. Can you recommend a not too expensive but good quality restaurant?

Thanks. John

Supersnooper

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Sorry, can't help with the glasses but for a genuine Turkish Cypriot meal, try Ikimiz. The prices are reasonable too. The website has directions and menu on it. I am sure you will receive a warm welcome.

http://ikimiz-kyrenia.com/

swyflot

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Specs are much cheaper in Asda !! Last year I bought 2 pairs of (designer brand) varifocals for less than £250.00

newscoop

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Last week 2 pairs of varifocal lenses and one pair of Carrera frames from Akay Optic

Approx £285.

Seven days from order to arrival.

Agobard

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

I replaced my varifocal lenses earlier this year at a shop in Guzelyurt. The lenses were 80 GBP I seem to remember but this was just lens, not frames. I always go to Guzelyurt as the prices there are much cheaper than in rip off city - Girne! I'm not altogether sure that you'll save much getting glasses here. Once upon a time they were cheap but I really don't think there is much in it now.

baldeagle

Message Posted:
13/12/2011 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

There is a specsavers at the top of ledra street, they do free eye test including glaucoma.

They charge 19 euros for frames and then approx 110 euros for the varifocal lenses, you can also add on scratch resistant and reactor light for a small charge.

Eye test done and new glasses 5 days later.

Here is a link to their website

http://aaoptical.com/en

johnerebus

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for all of the information, it's very helpful. Thanks again. John

johnerebus

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks for all of the information, it's very helpful. Thanks again. John

LandP

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Prescription glasses are expensive in the TRNC. We order all our single lens including Varifocal (progressive) lens from California. http://www.globaleyeglasses.com...the last pair we ordered were varifocal sunglasses and they cost $120 including insurance and delivery to our post box here. The whole odering and delivery to TRNC 15 days.

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

I'd totally agree with others who say prescription glasses are cheaper in the UK. than they are here now. This is now an urban myth.

They were cheaper some years ago, but no more. Maybe the Optical suppliers here have become aware of this & upped their prices accordingly?

I got some progressives (varifocals) here earlier this year & also some prescription sunglasses & really regret this now. Not only were they expensive, lenses & frames, but the progressives were not correctly fitted either so the window is in the wrong position or maybe the frame is unsuitable. Here I have no redress.

To add insult to injury, I later returned to the UK. this summer & could have got the glasses there. When I bought them here, I did not expect to be returning to the UK.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.