North Cyprus Tourist Board - Closing Down A Bank Account
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Closing Down A Bank Account

Closing Down A Bank Account

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

NCMan

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

If you decide to close down your account, will the bank give you cash or a cheque.

If it is a cheque where does one cash it ?.

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 14:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Closed loads... always cash.

NCMan

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

That's good , how much notice do they require to close it ?

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

If it's an account with a date for maturity then you would do best to do it on that day and give them 3 days notice if the amount is large... (over 10k)

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

It depends on how much cash you are talking about? They don't keep very large sums in the smaller branches. If the bank has more than 1 branch in a town, the busiest branch will often hold larger sums of money.

You'd need to give them at least 1 day's notice if it's a large sum & preferably 2 days. For a smaller amount, they will probably let you close the account & pay you in cash on the same day.

If you are closing the account to move the money to another bank here & the sum is large, they can move the money via the TRNC Central banking system. From memory, if you do this in the morning before 12 noon or 1pm. then it will arrive at the other bank the next morning.

Pippie

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Just to add the the end of Scruff's message ...

But check with your bank about transfer charges. I don't know if they're all the same but some do charge to send money to an account in a different bank. And if it's done on a % basis, if the sum is large it might be worth your while taking a suitcase to fill up and do the transfer yourself!!

scruff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Pippie.

I have moved money from Bank to Bank here, via the Central Bank on several occasions. To & from different banks & never paid a kurus. Last time was about a year ago. This was not a Banker's draft though, which will cost, but a transfer via the TRNC Central bank. Every time the process has gone without a hitch.

However, move loads of money from here to the UK. & sadly that's a completely different ball game.

elko2

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

If I intend to move money from one bank to another I prefer to use a bankers cheque but some banks may charge a fee for the cheque. One ploy is to ask for cash or cheque depending on their preference and normally they prefer to write you a cheque at no charge. I did this quite a few times but occasionally they offer cash and I had to accept it.

Normally there is a legal limit of how much you can withdraw from a bank in one day but who knows the limit? There is also a limit of I think 10,000 TL you can withdraw without prior notice but if they have cash in hand they will wave that too.

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.