North Cyprus Tourist Board - HSBC- The worst bank for local payments
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > HSBC- The worst bank for local payments

HSBC- The worst bank for local payments

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

elko2

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have been banking with HSBC for years and I am extremely happy with their internet banking but they have a terrible drawback when dealing with them for everyday banking.

1. My account is based in Famagusta and if anybody wants to pay some money into my accouınt say from Girne, they charge a transfer fee. As far as I know, HSBC is the only bank in TRNC that charges such a fee. I don't know what happens if anybody tries to pay money into my account say from the same branch in Famagusta. In Turkey all the banks behave similarly and Ishbank used to do the same in TRNC and I kept protesting them and eventually they changed their ways.

2. I had an HSBC (Girne) cheque written in my name and when I wanted to deposit it into my account, they wanted to charge a "transfer" fee and I took the cheque back and deposited it with another bank. HSBC explained that they would accept a cheque of another bank with no charge but HSBC cheque of Girne is subject to a fee because the money would be in my account at once, hence it had to be treated as a money transfer from Girne to Famagusta. I told them that it was nonsense and the local manager agreed but could not do anything about it.

ismet

ozankoys

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

That is bizarre!! We bank in HSBC Girne & have only been in the Famagusta branch once when we imported a car a few months ago.

Luckily the guy recognised me as he used to work in Girne and we were able to withdraw a substantial amount in cash to pay the customs duty - we had not realised that they would not take a cheque. We did not get into the branch until 20 minutes before their closing time but they could not have been more helpful - to say I was suprised was an understatement. There was no problem with the fact that the money 'was in Girne' as I have found when trying to withdraw cash from other Turk Bank branches when I have had to wait while the money is transferred from my Girne Market branch.

Geoff

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Never had this problem myself with HSBC (Famagusta branch).

Geoff

elko2

Message Posted:
14/12/2011 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Geoff,

My underestanding is that you are contradicting what I wrote. Can you elaborate or be specific please i.e. 1. Have you ever deposited an HSBC cheque drawn on another branch without incurring a cost and when was that, maybe they changed their rules recently, 2. Did anyone pay money into your account from another branch of HSBC and no charge?

ismet

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

They seem to be overusing the rules. My friend opened an account in Famagusta HSBC in 2006, as they offered very good interest rates. He drew most of the money out that year(or so he thought) and did not use the account again until this year. He found there was TL1000 in the account. He decided to draw some out, but they said no, he had to have a letter from his Muhtar and at least one utility bill, before he could do that!! This seems like they are treating him like a new customer!! He had his passport and his English driving licence with him.

They did not give him any money at all!!!!!

Don't understand that at all!!!

Geoff

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Re Msg 4 From Elko2.

Last time I paid in a cheque drawn on another HSBC Branch was 10 months ago. It was for a small amount but I was not charged. I opened our account when it was in the square in Gazimagusa back in 2004.

They may have changed the rules recently - in fact they must have if you were charged in similar circumstances..

Banks all over Europe are bringing in all sorts of charges. e.g.annual charge on plastic etc, HSBC are no exception and I believe here it is a franchise operation..

Geoff

Geoff

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

P.S. the cheque was paid in by me over the counter Elko, and was drawn on HSBC Girne Branch I recall. I have never had anyone paying into my account by electronic transfer.

Geoff

elko2

Message Posted:
15/12/2011 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Thank you Geoff, they must have changed the rules then about accepting their own cheque written on another branch with no cost. Indeed, the local manager could not defend it at the time. I will speak to the manager and have it confirmed and let you know. What about my second question which happened only this week i.e. can someone say from Girne pay any money into your Famagusta account over the counter with no charge? All the other banks that I know of including Ishbank do not charge but some other mainland banks from Turkey may, I cannot argue on that.

ismet

Geoff

Message Posted:
16/12/2011 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Don't know the answer to your second question Elko.

I have been wondering for some time now if we hould switch banks, but which one would be best?

I have always had good service from HSBC.

Geoff

elko2

Message Posted:
16/12/2011 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

As far as I am concerned HSBC is the best for internet banking. Free of charge transfer of money to anywhere in the world. Also any money in my current account is transferred automatically into the Liquid Fund and earns me someinterest overnight. Not best rates but better than nothing. I can withdraw it with no notice. So far so good. But I use other banks for daily operations like depositing cheques and also money transfers over the couınter.

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.