North Cyprus Tourist Board - Question: Is the postal service WITHIN north cyprus any good?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Question: Is the postal service WITHIN north cyprus any good?

Question: Is the postal service WITHIN north cyprus any good?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
04/01/2012 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hiya,

Few questions regarding the postal service within north cyprus itself (i.e. not receiving from UK or abroad)

- Do people send mail to each other here?

- Is it any good? Reliable? or do things go missing?

Would sending newsletters or similar by post be worth it?

(Obviously I know email alternative, but I was just wondering)

Thanks

Andrea

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Or I guess no one really knows or uses it?

Thanks

Andrea

hattikins

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 16:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

I have to say that the staff in Lapta post office are not the most efficient I have ever come across, they don't seem to have any system at all in there.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

depends on if you have an address that the postal service can find as lots of roads are not mapped or named as such

Pippie

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Only thing I know about is Kombos as an 'internal' mail system but that's just sending from Girne Kombos office to Kombos offices located in other major cities of TRNC.

dap3081

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Letters from UK to TRNC arriving OK. But two (2) parcels sent from daughters in the UK for Christmas, one (1) arrived and the other as gone missing. Both sent on the same date.

Have now told family and friends NOT to send parcels to us in TRNC.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

I have had various letters and cards (not parcels) sent through the local mail (including newsletters) though the internal post over the last l5 years and - as far as I know - only two have gone astray!

But message 4 makes a good point you need to have a PO Box or an address recognised by the PO and (as for international mail) it is important that the envelopes are clearly and correctly addressed. I have also been advised to use my first name, rather than just initials, as well as surname as the postmen may be confused by English names - my mail has turned up in the box of someone with the same surname and similar initials and I have had mail in my box for the same reason. Yet again, I would appeal to "swallows" to have their boxes checked regularly in their absence.

It is nice to hear of an orgnaisation prepared to consider "snail mail" as we dont all live by computer!

For newletters I suggest that anyone wising to receive them by post by informed as to the approximate dates

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

of despatch if regular (eg quarterly) and asked to advise if not received so the reliability of the service could be monitored.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I have had various letters and cards (not parcels) sent through the local mail (including newsletters) though the internal post over the last l5 years and - as far as I know - only two have gone astray!

But message 4 makes a good point you need to have a PO Box or an address recognised by the PO and (as for international mail) it is important that the envelopes are clearly and correctly addressed. I have also been advised to use my first name, rather than just initials, as well as surname as the postmen may be confused by English names - my mail has turned up in the box of someone with the same surname and similar initials and I have had mail in my box for the same reason. Yet again, I would appeal to "swallows" to have their boxes checked regularly in their absence.

It is nice to hear of an orgnaisation prepared to consider "snail mail" as we dont all live by computer!

For newletters I suggest that anyone wising to receive them by post by informed as to the approximate dates

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Thanks all,

I really appreciate the info.

Perhaps it might be best to suggest as you do BizziLizzi - to send and monitor. Thanks for the tip using full name to.

Perhaps as well as post, we could do pick up points or something to? For example, can mail for people be left at local Belidiye offices or local post offices? I know there is a post office in Karaoglanoglu and also Karaman. If these were allocated 'pick up points' would that be an alternative to?

Pipie - do you mean I could send something from Girne to Lefkosa with Kombos? Then someone could go pick up that letter/newsletter from the Kobos office in Lefkosa?

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Thanks

Andrea

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I guess if we did different options (e.g. post, or pick up) if people know they usually get mail (or they have a POBOX) they will choose this option, but if they live in the middlle of no where or have a 'dodgy' to find address they can choose the pick up option for the letters and newsletters...

Thoughts again appreciated

Best

Andrea

Pippie

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Andrea,

Yes that's right. I've had docs sent to me from Lefkoşa and gone to collect them at Kombos in Girne for example. I don't know where all the offices are located, I only know the one in Girne (next to the taxi rank on the roundabout nr. the belediye in Girne centre).

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I think the Post Office and some of the Muhtars do a post restaunt service, but of course not free.

Problem is people do not collect post which piles up and inevitably falls behind cupboards etc. I make no apology for a further plea to "swallows" to make arrangements for their post to be collected - failure to do so means unnecessary and unfair extra work for postal workers, and people who post has been mistakenly put in your box/pigeon hole dont get it for months, if ever.

Zoe at Ozankoy does great job of collating and telling people to collect mail, but few Muhtar's offices are so efficient - or have the language skills.

Some resteraunts/cafes used to act as collection points for mail. Good for them as people would stop for a drink or food while there! Good for customers with easier access and longer opening hours than the PO>

Of course they dont have a legal duty of care like the PO...contd........

Some resteraunts , cafes, etc. used to hold mail for collection

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

..........cont..............but it might well be worth looking into for things like newletters with no financial value.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

As a matter of what I suppose it now historical interest, before there were any street names or house numbers, post for anyone who lived in Ozankoy who did not have a PO Box was delivered to the village shop. There is was placed in an old cardboard box on thecounter, and when people did their shopping they would rummage through it to collect their mail. Usually we picked up and delivered any mail for friends and neighbours at the same time. Of course it was totally insecure, but it was a small, close knit, mainly honest community and I never heard of any problems locally,( though at that time post from certain London POs was subject to politically insired vandalism at source.)

I believe a similar, but more sophisticated system, was run by a local shop in Karaman.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
07/01/2012 07:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

yes the village shop in karaman is a post collection point for people who live in the village ( i believe that a small amount from the local village rates is paid to the shop keeper to cover the cost of driving down and collect the mail for us), all mail is collected by the shop keeper and then pigeon holed for you to collect when your in the shop

ozwozz86

Message Posted:
07/01/2012 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Hi all,

Thanks for all info, it's been really helpful. I think I have a few ideas now.

Thanks so much!

Best

Andrea

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.