North Cyprus Tourist Board - [ AGENDA ] A database with all charity events?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > [ AGENDA ] A database with all charity events?

[ AGENDA ] A database with all charity events?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See Up and Comings Events in TRNC on North Cyprus Events Calendar

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

Cyprus Today (Wednesday January 4, 2012) published a TRNC "Charity Calendar 2012" (an idea of Brian Thomas, chairman of RBL Kyrenia Branch).

A very good idea!

But I wonder: can the published events be viewed in a public database (on some website) throughout the year?

Reason for the question: newspapers with useful information (at least in our house) tend to get lost...

ianwfs

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

DC, I understand that the RBL are thinking about this, and also washerman. If not, I can take this on board as a bolt on to the events diary on my own web site. ( I try and work at least a year ahead on my laptop, so it would be easy enough to publish.)

However I'm in the UK till early march, so couldn't do much about it till I get back.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 11:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

@ msg 2, ianwfs: Hope you're OK! I just spoke to Brian Thomas and he told me that Washerman will have it on his satellite site - I suppose the URL for the site and/or Charity Agenda will be published here also as soon as the info is uploaded.

RealEntCyprus

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

Dear Dutchcrusader

Your suggestion is indeed a very good one!

Very soon a brand new website will be launched, clearly promoting all local events and offering online ticketing for these events.

Even events we will not be selling tickets for will be listed, providing a one stop portal to find out whats on where and purchase tickets if required, all from the comfort of your own home!

As well as offering online ticketing to our own events...(some of the events we have planned for this year and beyond will supprise many)...we will also be promoting and ticketing many local events of all varieties and styles.

The web address will be made public very, very soon so please be patient.......this website intends to become North Cyprus' premier one stop event promotion and ticketing portal!

Keep an eye out in local press and Cyprus 44 for the upcoming launch.

Regards

Marion

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

Sounds good. Hope you let me know or The Star so we can talk about it. But will you have ALL the events as does Cyprus 44, which I think is currently the best site for everything. RBL's idea is good and I have a copy of their calendar as being involved with some charities. It is excellent, but covers only charities (so far?) - so are you offering absolutely everything whether charity or hotel or restaurant or, or, or? Looking forward to hearing more and also to getting any good info out in to the public domain.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
05/01/2012 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

The idea has been put forward from time to time that all the Charities should get together to agree dates for fund raising events, so that the situation can be avoided where two charities are competing for attendance (and even volunteers) on the same day, and the smaller, less well know charities do not find themselves in the position of having to re-arrange at the last minute (sometimes losing money in the process for eg. printing tickets ) because they discovered at the last minute that a larger charity with more "clout" had arranged something for that day.

Just an "off the top of my head" thought - could something on these lines be incorporated in the Website?

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

The idea has been put forward from time to time that all the Charities should get together to agree dates for fund raising events, so that the situation can be avoided where two charities are competing for attendance (and even volunteers) on the same day, and the smaller, less well know charities do not find themselves in the position of having to re-arrange at the last minute (sometimes losing money in the process for eg. printing tickets ) because they discovered at the last minute that a larger charity with more "clout" had arranged something for that day.

Just an "off the top of my head" thought - could something on these lines be incorporated in the Website?

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 07:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

I find this curious re msg 4, because I too went along to the Charities 2012 Calendar Meeting that the RBL ran and thought it extremely useful.

I seem to remember that at the end of the meeting the RBL volunteered to carry on running the calendar so that if any new events came up then we could all get in touch with them to ensure that we did not clash on dates.

Also we have C44 which has a perfectly good calendar and it is a forum with lot of members and as such plenty of support, maybe we should all be looking at supporting and using this forum more.

Going back to msg 4: this is my confusion - is this another website for events? We have just previously read that Washerman is setting up a charity forum (plus this has been in The Star) and now RealEntCyprus is thinking of launching a site!

To me, personally, I think it is a super idea to all get together and have one calendar of events but reading the above it appears we are going to have a number of them which adds confus

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 07:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

... which adds confusion and which one will be used by who?

Will there be any co-ordination between these different website?

If not, will we still end up with numerous events on any one given day/night?

I don't know but I would like to see and support one of these in hope that everyone will do the same, can we all concentrate and work with Izzet and get all events on C44?

RealEntCyprus

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

Hi Scoobydoo

Our websites main aim is to provide online ticketing to many types of local events, as a by product we felt it a good idea to use the system to also show events we are not ticketing and list all charity events FOC.

Not sure what any other website will be doing, but we will be contacting RBL and requesting we be kept up to date with any new events or changes to current events.

Our site will allow you to search events by Date, Venue, Event Type and even by which Charity is hosting the event.

Hopefully people will find it very useful and it will help remove any confusion.

regards

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Thank you msg 10.

Did you attend the charity events calendar meeting held by the RBL?

If you take a look at The Star newspaper a few weeks before christmas and had been at this meeting then you would have heard about another website being set up for events.

Please do not take this as a criticism but merely an observation because as I see it we are going to have 3 sites (yours, Washerman's and C44 that I know of) on which events are going to be posted which seems a little crazy to me.

I just wish everyone could work together and have one website for all events and as I mentioned above maybe it should be C44 as they are already up and running and have a large membership base.

This is just an observation so please do not be offended by what I have said.

Sue

theoddmajor

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

Hi, regarding the Charity Calendar meeting in early December which the RBL Kyrenia Branch hosted and chaired. We agreed to take the minutes of the meeting e.g. all the known charity calendar dates for this year and to then forward the dates to each Charity for their own further distribution to their members. This has now been completed and each charity is aware of the key dates of all the charities who attended the meeting as well as publishing in Cyprus today for the good and benefit of the general public.

In addition Paul Alldred (Washerman) attended the meeting and kindly offered to publicise the calendar on his website at: satellitecyprus.com and if you look on the home page you will see a link to the Charity Calendar for 2012. In addition he has offered to set up a rolling Charity Calendar on the website that only a rep from each Charity can access and update details.

The meeting was a success and another one is planned for early Dec.

Thanks

Brian Thomas

ianwfs

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

It seems to me that there are several web sites, producing similar information, but for different purposes. RealEntCyprus, would appear to emphasise larger events and ticket sales, RBL and washerman concentrate on charities, C44, in theory, covers everything, but in practice seems to be mainly kareoke and other "non charity" events. My own web site tends to ignore the pub type event unless it's for charity.

We must also consider events such as music festivals, cultural festivals, and even public holidays. These all have an impact on charity organisers eg woould yo like to organise a charity concert at the amphitheatre on the opening night of the Bellapais music festival.

Perhaps what we need is a listing of EVERYTHING that's being planned that individual organisers can use for basic information. This doesn't have to be formaly published to the world, but could be available to the organisers.

>>>>

ianwfs

Message Posted:
06/01/2012 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

<<<

Obviously to publish everything on a single web page would be a daunting job, but parhaps a coo-ordinaator could keep an outlook diary and publish that to a host url. It's a while since I investigated, but I seem to remember that there is a way of uploading the Outlook diary to the web.

It wouldn't be in a format that the general public would find very user friendly, but would be perfectly acceptable to event organisers and others to extract the raw information for their own pages. Using something like Outlook, would also make life a lot easier for the person administering the database, in that regular events can be added on the press of a button.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.