North Cyprus Tourist Board - Animal Slaughter In Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Animal Slaughter In Northern Cyprus

Animal Slaughter In Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

LeYLeY

Message Posted:
07/01/2012 14:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows how the animals here are slaughtered for their meat? Also how they treat the chickens in the farms. Obviously they are not all free range. Are they in battery farms? How do they treat the animals!? They are treated badly in Uk, Europe enough and as they are not fond of animals here anyway im just wondering,

Thanks

horselover

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 01:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

was wonderin too. i think local animals would be kept on small properties so hardly battery type, as wudnt be so large scale, but if the animals are from turkey or elsewhere, then probably treated like shite, as they are anywhere in the world. muslims 'halal' it, so the blood drains, but most lambs etc hang upside down n get their throats cut. theres nothing nice about murder unfortunately, but living conditions coulkd always be better so they cud have a decent year here before death

blade

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Small properties so hardly battery type?

Small pens with animals cramed in worse than battery types is more the truth. My neighbour does this with sheep!

About a year ago they tried to get all the farmers to take their stock to slaughter in Lefkosa under a controlled enviroment. The farmers protested in a big way, it got nasty and some people were arrested. So it never happened.

Not all the farmers here are bad i do know some decent ones, but the care of animals either as pets or for the table is not the same as in the UK.

lionel

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

The UK is no exception ............most animals for slaughter are not treated well...why would they ? its money at the end of the day

moxie

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 23:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

throats slit......awake....whereas in the EU they are supposed to be stunned ..not always the case.....thats why i havent eaten flesh for obver 35 yrs!!! todays kill is tomorrow flushed away !!

moxie

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 23:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

hey Lionel...knock my door

westender

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

I believe Haci Ali has chicken sheds near Dikmen, but don't know if they're battery hens or barn hens.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/01/2012 23:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

anyone needs to have one sloughtered,like goat ,sheep,lamb,let me know.I'd do it for one of the legs.lol

in open air,cant get cleaner,chemichally free then that.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

UK farming is a long way from humane. Due to EU regulations nearly all UK abattoirs were closed because of the cost of having a vet inspect every animal before slaughter - this was on top of the UK's own meat inspectorate. Most animals now have to travel long distances to die - this is not good for the consumer either as the flesh contains high levels of adrenalin after the journey. My friend farms at Aylesbury - his beef is taken to Cornwall for slaughter.

Another bad UK practice is dairy farming. Farmers spend a lot on the foot care of dairy cattle because they are bred with such huge udders that they cannot walk with their legs straight. Consequently they are plagued all their life with foot problems.

Again thanks to the skewed economics of the EU, calves are taken from their mother after 24 hours to allow the mothers to be milked again - because the farmer gets milk powder and reconstitutes it for 50% of what he gets for the raw milk.

Don't be too quick to criticise TRNC.

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

A Farmer will always look after his animals or birds as is the case, because every single one of them is income to him. If he mistreats them which some smallholders do as this is not their livelihoods then he loses profit.

I am afraid you are very naive if you think that your supermarket chicken or meat comes from any where near fields, unless it specifically states it on the label as in the UK that it is free range. In the UK the free range and organic premises are all inspected. Most farm animals are reared in large sheds in environmentally controlled temperatures to save wasting their food on keeping them warm.

When a farmer sells them, it is the abattoirs who take over. Many good farmers I know detest these places as they are the opposite to what they have been doing. Most animals are stunned first with gas or electric then they are bled.

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

Following on from my last post, man has always hunted and farming is the humane alternative, as nothing is injured and left to a painful death. The abattoir way is quick. Vets are employed in abattoirs to verify the animal and its carcass is fit to eat.

Unfortunately we cannot feed the world by organic farming as no fertilisers would be used to grow our cereal crops. That is another forum subject though.

blade

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

My vet tells me that is illegal to slaughter animals in the TRNC if it is not done in a controlled enviroment.

So those people cutting animals throats and not abiding by the rules can be arrested if reported.

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Jovial John

Just to put you right. Cows are bred for longevity and strength of mammary tissue, as well as milk. Cows feet deteriorate because they go in the fields and bring stones back inside between their claws, when they are milked, which fall on concrete and then get pushed into their feet causing lameness. They also need their toenails cutting back as in their natural environment they would have been worn away. Older human females like bovines may suffer similar old age body problems !

As to leaving a calf on a cow. It would be inhuman to do so as a calf takes about 10 litres of milk a day yet a cow can produce 50 litres. The cow then is in dreadful agony, her udder does drop and mastitis sets in ! If you milk a cow three times a day, then her udder will remain fine until she is older. Ask a lady (you know very well) about these things I am sure she will be able to advise you.

Sugarpuffbear

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

And just to carry on about the calf, its mother's milk is fed to the calf for the first week of its life usually as it contains antibodies (breast is best). Farmers may continue to feed the calf dried milk by swapping it over slowly from cows milk or use cows milk dependant on the price, which is true.

Quite a few years ago when their were livestock cut backs due to too much beef being in the world market, we were offered 50pence for a bull calf when it arrived at the market at fourteen days old. It cost 5 pounds to transport it there, so most farmers had to shoot their calves as it was a cheaper option. They could not afford to rear them on as neither did they have the food for them or the finances. We were lucky we were able to rear ours'. It broke a lot farmers' hearts.

If you want milk, a cow has to have a calf and that is how it is produced.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
09/01/2012 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

I also know farmers who permit no suckling at all as they believe it allows a bond to form between cow and calf. What kolostrum the calf gets is fed by bottle.

For the sake of the uninitiated, you should clarify that the cow needs more than 1 calf in her life. I have often heard city folk moaning that farmers shouldn't breed calves if they have no use for them. That was particularly true many years ago when calves were being exported to France and the animal lib folks got onto it causing huge protests at Dover and other locations. Nobody ever explained that the farmers have to produce calves and that even the French were a better option than slaughter at birth.

But I would like to emphasise your point that the vast majority of farmers care very much about their livestock and many of the things that regulations and economics force them to do are a source of great distress to them.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.