North Cyprus Tourist Board - wanted log burner for fitting in fireplace
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > wanted log burner for fitting in fireplace

wanted log burner for fitting in fireplace

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

maggie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

Log burner wanted to fit into existing fireplace. margarethushon@yahoo.co.uk .

carian

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

Try Akinlar, they will give you good advice and are very professional, clean workers.

Aljanyoung

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 19:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

We had a log burner made to fit into our fireplace last year by Akinlar and are very pleased with it and with the service and professional way it was fitted, can highly recommend them.

jock1

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Ditto...they are very good.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

msg 3,

Are they any good , the fitted ones ? many say the free standing ones are more efficient . Please tell your experiences and details of cost etc.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

I'm sure they are good, but the prices.....................Way out of my range

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

dippergirl,

Roughly how much are they ?

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

roughly 1000 quid fitted

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Cyprusairsoft,

Thank you . Have you one and if so, do you consider it value for money ?

Kizzy

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

We had ours fitted by Akinlar a couple of years ago in the fireplace and regret it. They put a vent in the chimney breast that was supposed to let out rising heat but never did anything only put black smoke marks on the chimney and ceiling.

It has never worked properly and certainly doesn't give off enough heat from the front of the stove to heat the room. We have stopped using it. Waste of money!

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

Kizzy, msg 10,

Thanks for the info !

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Hi EamonnMc, sorry to hear Kizzy is unhappy.

In general Akinlar are very good and enjoy a good reputation, but I think they do lack a little bit in knowledge, I do not mean this with any disrepect what so ever to Mustafa he is one of the best people we have dealt with here. But I feel he should know a bit more about his products.

In general Wood and multi fuel burners are superb. But IE right one for the job, room size, heat output etc.

Also the ones sold here are very often Chinese, They are very good but not really up to the same standard as the ones you can buy in UK.

We had two in the UK, One frree standing and one Big one 18 KW output the large one was bult into a big inglenook so plenty of area around it for circulation.

It was unbelievable, I had to put fire bricks inside it though because it had a big appetite, In the coldest winter we would very often have to open windows or Patio door, But also the other very big diference in the UK was the fuel.

ctd.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

We could buy smokless coalite and mix it with logs or coal and it burnt at a very high output, you could also make it up and it would burn for 24hours with the air supplys closed.

We used them for over 20 years , The smaller one was in a smaller sun lounge and aslo did a fine job.

Up keep is important, IE every week give then a deep clean stiff or wire brush the inside and the doors etc. get rid of surplus soot and carbon. Also keep an eye on door ropes etc and visible flue joints.

To sum up, if you get the right one for the job and it is installed correctly then they get the thumbs up from us.

Also one more thing you need to get to know your stove and this takes time maybe a couple of seasons.

We have a free standing one fitted by Aknilar and I have linked it in to or CH. (expensive) but it works quite well, But in Hind sight (that wonderful word) we should have gone for as slightly bigger one because around 70 % of the heat goes to the back boiler.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Cheers Lee,

Thanks for the comprehensive post.

waddo

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

Don't you just wish you could get "pellet" stoves here - along with a good supply of pellets of course. I many areas of the USA they burn dried sweet corn instead so that may be possible as well.

Akinlar are the best I have found here for wood stoves but like JohhneyLee has pointed out, a bit more experience needed and a better chimney system would improve lots of small issues.

I did buy a French built wood stove as well as a monster cast iron one but found the same problems of door ropes and flu joints as the Chinese ones. Having had lots of wood stoves I can honestly say that you get what you pay for but that almost always you get lots of heat! The more steel chimney the more heat!

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

The best stove we ever bought in the UK was called the Vermont and it came from Canada. We had a huge barn conversion with an 'A' frame ceiling and we thought even with this grandad of a stove we would never get it cozy. Like Johnny Lee, we had to open windows to let some heat out. What a fabulous stove it was. It even had a huge thick plate on top which you could cook on if you wished . Unfortunately, once you have had the best it is hard to settle for less.

The stove we have here is built into the fireplace hole. This was not our choosing, it was in when we bought, but I would never have chosen one of these because you do not have the benefit of the whole cast iron unit becoming one huge radiator rather than the heat only radiating from the front.

We will keep this stove for another 2/3 years and then will definitely go for a free standing one. Glad of this thread though, we did not know that they came from China. Surely Turkey makes them? Anyone know?

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

The place to start is the chimneey..clean and smoke bomb it for leaks...any leaks you may need a liner...now determine the kw you need...ie volume of the room in m3 and divide by 14....its better to work a stove than go oversize...try to get a clean burn and airwash stove...clearance around the stove re ...6" at the sides...12 inches min to top of register board.....2" at rear...edge of.hearth should be at least 12 " from the glass front...stoves not good with marble or granite...they may crack...register board must be non flammable...use dry wood any dampness will make it less efficient ..try to avoid pep coke..very hot but will damage your stove....glass can be cleaned with newspaper bit of vinegar and ash...but only use wood ash...dont forget chimney cover stop water coming down..sweep every year...good luck

hds.trnc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

choose multi fuel then you have choice..usually multi fuel will give you all night capacity with decent fuel...chinese may be your only choice...franco belge....morso....chesney...aga...esse...all good stoves....probs 5 kw would suit most applictions...70 m3 ..als ther bigger you get the more you will require...dont buy a train boiler...lol..

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.