North Cyprus Tourist Board - Nethouse have just informed me .......
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Nethouse have just informed me .......

Nethouse have just informed me .......

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

snakes

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Having done continual speed checks recently on our internet due to bad service, a Nethouse adviser has just explained to me that, as we opted for a UK VPN (offered in our package free) that our speed will be much slower as it is effected by the UK market. This actually makes sense in a strange way although I have become a disbeliever to any excuses made since living here. Can anyone either confirm or ridicule this point please ? regards Barry !!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

@ msg 1, snakes: If you check this board for VPN's and NN (Nethouse Networks) you can read all about it. Another side effect is some software (browsers) may react strangely (or not react at all anymore). For me it was the reason to ask NN to remove their free VPN asap. Which was done on the first request.

snakes

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

DC thank you for your info ! As i said, it sort of makes sense, but no one explains this at the outset so we all get very annoyed when the service dips to an all time low. Its a shame that the "engineers" didnt point this out to us on their many visits as we would have not bothered ! thanks again

regards barry

erolz

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

To try and explain a bit. There are parts of the network that your ISP can control and are responsible for and parts they can not. Any of these parts (as well as the 'machines') at each end can get congested and thus result in slower speeds. In 'normal' mode NN only controls parts in the TRNC, from your house to the central point at which they link out via Turk Telecom. Of this section that NN control, different parts of it can become congested and if it does it is down to NN to solve.

When you add in the UK VPN part of the equation, then that adds another part that NN control, basicaly some 'trunk' capacity in the UK that they buy a given amount of. When NN put a customer on the VPN service that then creates another part of the network (that they control) where congestion can occur. If they do not buy enough UK trunk capacity and load too many of their users onto that UK part that then becomes a bottleneck.

erolz

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

I would like to compare the difference between how say MM is doing this and NN is doing it, because I think it helps explain in general what is going on, but I should say first off that I am now working for MM so please bear that in mind.

MM has a similar setup, where it has bought trunk capacity in the UK of a certain size so that it can offer its customers the ability to seem as if they are in the UK, without having to use a 'manual' VPN service. With NN each indivdual customer says, I want this factility and when they are switched over to it ALL their traffic then travels through the UK trunk section, along with all of the traffic of all their other customers that are similary enabled. MM does it a bit differently. It only routes specific traffic to specfic destinations in the UK through its UK trunk, like currently BBC and ITV sites. It does this for all customers without them having to be 'switched over' to it. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

So with MM (for all customers) only specific 'destinations' like BBC and ITV will automaticaly get routed over their UK trunk section and thus conribute to potential congestion in that part. With NN only traffic from customers 'enabled for VPN' will travel over their UK trunk capacity and thus contribute to potential congestion but ALL of those users traffic will travel over it. So if they watch youtube that will add to congestion on the UK trunk part. The advantage of the NN way is that for vpn enabled customers, in theroy at least, any UK site will think they are comming from the UK without having to run any manaul VPN on their computer. THe down side is that because all traffic routes this way they will typicaly need more capacity than if only some traffic (that that actualy needs to go via the UK) is routed that way. The upside of the MM way is that they only send traffic of their UK trunk for a small subset of a custoimers total traffic and that keeps congestion down. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

and thus customers speeds up. The downside is it only works , without a maunal VPN, for the specific predefined sites they have set it up for, so at the moment thats BBC and ITV.

In summary with NN on their 'VPN' service for every site you goto it will look like you are in the UK without you having to run any sort of manual VPN but you are more likely to suffer congestion because of this.

With MM 'automatic' VPN it will only look like you are in the UK for BBC and ITV sites (currently more may get added) and for others sites you would have to maunaly run their (free VPN) before you look like you are in the UK but congestion is less likely.

When I talk about congestion being more likely or less likely in reality I am saying how much capcity and therefore cost the ISP has to pay to support each system. If the ISP pays for vast capacity any system can work but costs pass onto customers.

I hope this makes sense

snakes

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Erolz ! it makes great sense and thank you for taking the time to explain this ! i shall adjust accordingly but just wished our servise provider had done the same to avoid bad feeling and so much frustration ! thanks again regards barry

philbailey

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

What happened to 6ms vpn?

LooseBoots

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

It is still there, I think.

minertor

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

msg 9>What happened to 6ms vpn?

what's happened to 6ms?

T

philbailey

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

And that wAsher-guy?

LooseBoots

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

Are we getting off topic boys;-)

snakes

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Think my question has been answered very well thank you all ! please close this thread regards barry

simbas

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.