North Cyprus Tourist Board - Terrible treatment at the Girne Tax Office
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Terrible treatment at the Girne Tax Office

Terrible treatment at the Girne Tax Office

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

Pippie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 21:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 47 in Discussion

I've had cause to go to the tax office for a number of different things while I have lived here and there are times when I need help and I don't think it is too much to ask to be able to go to the receptionist and ask for help. There's a woman there who speaks perfect English, my impression is she's a London born Turkish Cypriot. Now you here from lots of people that Turkish Cypriots who've lived in the UK for some time and return to Cyprus are often treated almost as badly as us foreigners, or sometimes worse, so I struggle to understand how on earth this bitch could treat people so badly.

The last few times I've been to this woman she keeps telling me that I need to learn to speak Turkish more. Well I do try actually, it's obviously not good enough though!

I had to go again to the tax office yesterday and had to see this woman yet again to ask for advice. I'd worked out what I needed to say in Turkish but when she answered me I couldn't understand what she wanted. cont'd..

Pippie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 47 in Discussion

There was a word she kept repeating I just didn't know so I smiled and asked in English "I don't know that one, what does it mean". She answered "I'm not going to tell you, you need to learn". I got annoyed and asked "what am I supposed to do" and she said "go and find someone who will speak English". I said "you speak English" and she said "go and speak to Metin bey". So I went off to find Metin and he was so helpful, in fact everyone else at all the other desks were really friendly. It turned out all I needed to do was write a letter and give it to this woman so when I went back, still frustrated I asked "why couldn't you have just told me you needed me to write a letter, why do you have to be so damn difficult". She looked at me with such hatred and just said "thank you". She never spoke another word, handed me a sheet which I had to work out what to do with it. If someone hadn't already told me I needed stamps I would have known that either. This woman should be sacked. ..

Pippie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 47 in Discussion

Reading this back now I know I'm not expressing myself clearly, it was really frustrating yesterday and as a foreigner meeting such a brick wall by someone who you would expect would treat you a little better (she must have worked in the UK and have some idea of customer service and how to speak civily to people), it just leaves me wondering sometimes why I stay.

So many people here are nice, sympathetic and helpful and then you get one bad egg, but this is the sort of thing that gives TRNC a bad name.

The confusing thing is that this woman used to be quite helpful when I first had to go to the office. Now I dread going.

Does anyone have any idea who I'm talking about? And if it's your wife, sister or friend, I don't care, she's a bitch.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 47 in Discussion

Pippie easy to say, but try not to let it get to you, she's just trying to get the upper hand and make you look silly. Had exactly the same problem with my ex landlords daughter many years ago, she came from Luton and got a job as a Customs Officer and said the same to me, "you've been here long enough to learn the language" and refused to talk in English to me. Agree, we should make more of an effort when we live abroad but you don't need the critisicm when your trying. Perhaps try and take someone with you next time, at least for moral support. Or get someone to write it all out in Turkish so you don't have to speak to her (Lol)

barbieb

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 47 in Discussion

You don't deserve that Pippie and I know your turkish is very good for an ex pat, wish mine was as good, but you are the better person, and of course we all know what you are talking about, when it suits loss of English Language to us brits is widespread!!! x

Pippie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 47 in Discussion

I think this woman is the secretary to the head of the tax office. Perhaps power has gone to her head. She looks so stern all the time, as if she hates her job. May be you're right that she just gets a kick out of upsetting the foreigners.

What I'm thinking to do next time is work out how to ask her in Turkish to write down what she wants and then I'll stand there with a dictionary and look up every word to waste her time. May be she'll get frustrated too then.

I used to work with lots of foreign speakers when in the UK and it's more productive if you try to help them and teach them the odd word they need to know. It doesn't help to speak at 100 miles an hour, don't these people realise if you just give key words and slowly it helps your customer to understand better.

I still feel so frustrated by all of this. If this woman worked for me she'd be sacked. Trouble is I doubt there's any opportunity to express a concern or make a complaint about a member of staff here.

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 47 in Discussion

pippie. it sounds like you have been treated unfairly but it really does not warrent you calling someone a bitch !!

Pippie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 47 in Discussion

Hey, Pips, you try going down to the tax office and ask in Turkish "do you speak English, can you help me" and then ask her for something. You'll see what I mean. Bitch is an understatement. I had a friend with me at the time and his reaction was 'racist xxx'. When I had to go back to the desk later after I had collected all the documents I needed from the other desks there was a Cypriot guy there asking for the same thing and she was explaining to him what he had to do. I suppose she was at least explaining, but her demeanour was really cold, mind you I saw her cast a sly look across to me so that was probably the reason for the frostyness. Whether it's just me I don't know, perhaps she's just taken a dislike to me that's why I'm interested to know if anyone else has had the same or similar experience.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 47 in Discussion

When I had dealing with the Alsancak Beledise some time ago I got a friend of mine ( a native turkish cypriot ) to accompany and speak on my behalf. i would have been lost without his help ( despite the friendliness of the officials there ) and with his help all was sorted. perhaps, Pippie , you also need a native speaker with you to help you with this "lady" ?

Pipie

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 47 in Discussion

pippie. I underrstand how angry you

Pippie. You are right I probably would need to bite my tongue but c'mon you are bigger than this. reducing yourself down to her level, by calling her bitch is not good !! you know it is not you as Metin helped you out, rise above her pippie you are better than her any day !!

speedster

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 47 in Discussion

hi pippie i am born turkish cypriot leaved in uk for many years and now live in trnc. speak fluent turkish and english. just to make you feel better .fist of all i do underestand how you feeling about the way you was dealt with in the tax office. but just to let you know that i have been in you sittuation before and those kind of people dont care who they are dealing with they dont try to help anyone . but next time when i visit n the tax office i will call the manager and have a word with him or her in TURKISH .

and i hope you will be dealt in better manner next time . best of luck

BlueButterfly

Message Posted:
10/01/2012 23:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 47 in Discussion

Eamonn Mc. mes9. Good advice, as usual. Pippie, please let me know, in advance, if possible, when you next have to go to the tax office. We also live in Ozankoy and my TC hubby will gladly accompany you and speak on your behalf. We need to bring this type of bully down a peg or two.

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 47 in Discussion

Speedster, BlueButterfly,

Great offers of practical help from both of you, well done....trouble has to be met ..head on !

speedster

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 47 in Discussion

thanks Eamonn Mc we will not tolorate this kind of behavior. we all need help sometime in life somewhere .nice to be treated like humans . make no mistake abod it i will put in formal complaint.

snd1966

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 07:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 47 in Discussion

Hope this lady is not on a payment desk as a lady on the payment desk has mentioned on a monthly basis after being here so long i should be stringing sentences together not just key words. she is always really nice and yes she is right i should use what i know far more but i find the replies harder. oh well rental tax is calling so i suppose i will find out.

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 07:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 47 in Discussion

Is the tax office you are referring to the same place you tax your car, behind the hospital?

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 47 in Discussion

You are obviously angry about this Pippie so why not make a formal complaint.....?

carian

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 47 in Discussion

Just going off this subject slightly, but we went to the Import office & Customs yesterday and everyone was really nice and helpful.

I think that even if you know some Turkish, its still very difficult to understand when it is spoken quickly. This woman needs reporting but doubt anything will be done.

gusanova

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 10:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 47 in Discussion

last year i had an occasion to visit Tax Office, to renew my Rental Agreement and pay the Tenants Tax bill for a few months.

I met this woman and asked her politely for assistance and was told that I must learn Turkish, fortunately anopther employee was ever so helpful and directed me to whichever desks I should go, almost as if to say dont mind her she is a pilloock!!

davpat

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 47 in Discussion

a pilloock message 19?

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 47 in Discussion

ask to see her boss

then give her what for

Pippie

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 47 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your support, I appreciate it. I've got to feel sorry for fellow TCs who may be reading this thread, I know when I read anything about a fellow countryperson who are being named and shamed it not only makes me angry but sometimes also ashamed of them.

Thanks very much for your offers BlueButterfly and Speedster, I'll try to remember before I next have to visit there and hopefully I can call on you for help.

Flowerfairy, yes it's the same place where you tax your car. Do you know who I mean?

Yes this woman needs reporting but like Carian I doubt anything would be done. She's the secretary of the head of that office and one of the fellas in there has told me that the boss can make life difficult for you if you cross her. Perhaps the secretary is modelling herself on the boss! She also looks like thunder when you see her walking about, a smile would crack her face!

Pippie

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 47 in Discussion

You know, I was talking to one of the lads in there once, complaining about a particular impractical regulation being enforced by his boss (one of many although believe it or not I don't like to complain!!) and he turned round and said to me "you have to remember this is not the UK, you are not living in a civilised country here". That doesn't fill you with confidence does it!

helpfulsue

Message Posted:
11/01/2012 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 47 in Discussion

pippie, please let us know what u needed help on, maybe we could help u here?

EamonnMc

Message Posted:
12/01/2012

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 47 in Discussion

Sue, Please read the thread to find the answer to your question.

Geomin

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 47 in Discussion

Pippie if you wish to make your feelings known you should contact Yusuf Kacmaz at the main Tax Office in Lefkosa. His email address is ykacmaz1955@yahoo.com My friend, who is Turkish Cypriot incidentally, recently wrote a 16 page letter of complaint to Mr Kacmaz regarding the service at Girne Tax Office. Mr Kacmaz said he would welcome any feedback about peoples' experiences at the Tax Office, whether good or bad and was very receptive to my friend's comments. He also speaks excellent English as well, apparently.

Pippie

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 47 in Discussion

Thank you Geomin, that's useful to know.

Sue, for info, this is what I said "bir mektup istiyorum soylemek hic bir sey borcum degil" (sorry Turkish keyboard not working on this laptop but I'm sure you'll know what I mean!). So this woman rattles something off back at me but more or less the first words out of her mouth I couldn't translate. That's when I reverted to English and asked her just to tell me what it was she needed. If she had been more receptive I would have asked her to tell me again what she had asked for so that I could relate to what it was again in future but she just didn't want to know.

marcosthechef

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 18:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 47 in Discussion

Pippie, I think I know this lady, got a real chip on her shoulder, she used to issue driving licenses and gave me a really hard time, very unhelpful and a proper bad attitue, I was nice as pie and eventually got my license for 5 years and when i had it in my hand I told her ' never ask me for any tax money coz with that attitude your gonna have to squeal like mofo to get a penny off me, good at your job arnt you, you understood that, didnt you' and then promptly walked out of her office.

One day this Doris will learn some manners, they really cost nothing

dap3081

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 47 in Discussion

Pippie,

We had the same problem with this individual at the tax office. I was directed to her as I was told she spoke perfect English. When I asked her if she spoke/understood English, her reply was “No I have forgot it”. Yes!!! she is indeed a very, very rude and nasty piece of work.

stubbs1

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 47 in Discussion

Maybe she learnt her customer service skills in the UK because I've certainly seen that in action in the UK. I suggest the offer made by Speedster is more typical of TRNC life than this dreadful experiance of yours. I dont think bitch was too harsh, just about right I'd say with the addition of Ignorant.

Good thread!!

Ed1957

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 47 in Discussion

i am concerned that there may be more 'Dorises' with the announcement that many CTA staff have been given newly created government jobs (paid for by the Turkish tax payer no doubt)

Visitor

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 47 in Discussion

I think your treatment was awful. But when I first arrived in France I was treated in a similar way. Officials would say it was not in there JD to speak English even when they were far more fluent then I was in French. The other one was they refused for my benefit so I would learn. I think its particularly hard for elderly expats but I had to learn French.

The French gov. has recently made it a requirement to speak French up to a high school standard in order to apply for citizenship.

mozgor

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 20:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 47 in Discussion

I would have thought as a public servant she should have been more accommodating!!!! Yes we are guilty of expecting everyone else to speak English, but that is no excuse for horrendous customer service, which is basically what you got. I have to be honest, if I were on the receving end of that I would write and complain, not that that would probably get you anywhere tho.

Southcoaster

Message Posted:
12/01/2012 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 47 in Discussion

In complete contrast to Pippie's experience I was given excellent help this week by the gentleman in the Tax Office responsible for handing out driving licences after applications have been processed. He said mine was not ready because there was a technical problem in producing it, and could I come back another day. I said OK and left. I had walked nearly a hundred metres to my car when he came running up to me to say that in fact my photo was too big and I needed a smaller one; I thanked him profusely (in Turkish), returned later with it and he said he would have the licence ready the next day.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
13/01/2012 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 47 in Discussion

i should imagine that this lady is not very popular with her own people either.

think i might give her an ann summers catalogue something in their might make her smile!

Pippie

Message Posted:
13/01/2012 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 47 in Discussion

Does anyone know this woman's name? Otherwise trying to make an official complaint with an office that 'could' do something will be no good.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
14/01/2012 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 47 in Discussion

make a scene and faint in the office say the stress of this women is too much for your heart etc

babyheritage

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 47 in Discussion

Maybe you should inform Stephen Day of BRS as he is trying to get the English to pay their taxes. This woman sounds offputting.

reporting

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 47 in Discussion

Friends went to register their lettings last year a total of 11 weeks come back in 3 days we let you know how much bill is, on return huge bill and told you pay tax for letting 52 weeks !! it is available you must pay !

AND THEY WERE OFFERED CASH to inform on other Brits renting out They declined this generous offer !

maria1

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 19:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 47 in Discussion

Pippie you have our sympathy. As a business we visit the tax office every month to pay taxes for rental properties and up to 1000 sterling a month. The attitude is a total disgrace and enough to actually put people off ever going again. We are always having to go back as each and every time they will cherry pick what they want to do or not not want or simply say you have too many forms come back tomorrow. The government are urging owners to pay up yet their staff really need a course in customer relations. This woman does not deserve a job and I would have no hesitation at all to report her. This post should be printed off and sent to the head of the Tax office as an example.

Pippie

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 47 in Discussion

I agree Maria and I would happily do it if I could find out this woman's name. It is her in particular that has caused me grief and who I want to see reprimanded.

Although I can see from reading some of the responses here that there could be others who might benefit from a bit of a wrap on the knuckles and some customer service training.

snd1966

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 06:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 47 in Discussion

Since April I have been trying to sort out my Father's rental tax for 2004 - in 2010 I sorted out 2005 -2008 so beware- I must admit, yes its been frustrating and time consuming but I can not fault how I have been treated. Yes sometimes I have had to wait over an hour to be seen. I have also had to do this for customers and I think why the tax people have been so patient and tried to understand why i didn't want to pay the years tax is due to being able to produce evidence - electric bills, passport numbers of friends who actually stayed rent free plus letters from them to confirm this. I fell very proud last week when the manager shook my hand and closed the file and said you are a very honest person. Admittedly the 50% penalty on the back tax left a sour taste but I did advise my father to pay tax when I settled on the island but his management company knew best and its human nature not to spend if one thinks they can get away with it.

snd1966

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 07:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 47 in Discussion

also back in 2010 i was informed we know and can prove the property has been rented out so now its down to the owner to prove otherwise. This is where letters and passport numbers from friends came in handy. electric bills can be requested from kibtek. so apart from the 50% fine it was all very open to discussion.

oceanblues

Message Posted:
06/02/2012 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 47 in Discussion

I would have went straight to the supervisor, any official making suggestions like "you should learn to speak better" doesn't deserve to work in a public office... but that's just my opinion

babyheritage

Message Posted:
14/02/2012 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 47 in Discussion

Geomin Message 26

Ive emailed him at the address you gave, ykacmaz1955@yahoo.com but he has not answered.

Any comments?

flaneur

Message Posted:
14/02/2012 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 47 in Discussion

its hard to learn a language and even harder to speak infront of people that are not patient.. if any of you would have to be in a situation where you would feel uncomfortable with Turkish language I can come around and do some translation..

babyheritage

Message Posted:
15/02/2012 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 47 in Discussion

back to message 45

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.