North Cyprus Tourist Board - Your rights as a shopper in the UK
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Your rights as a shopper in the UK

Your rights as a shopper in the UK

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Christmas Consumer Rights & Myths. Don't automatically assume you've a right to a refund.

MYTH 1. If it doesn’t fit, you can take it back. If there’s no fault, e.g. if you buy the wrong size or change your mind, you've NO legal right to return goods. Yet many shops' policies do allow it, though then it sets the rules, so if it says "only a credit note", that's it.

RIGHT 1. You must be a SAD FART! If goods don't follow what I remember as the SAD FART rules, i.e. be of Satisfactory quality, As Described, Fit for purpose And last a Reasonable length of Time, then they're faulty, take 'em back.

MYTH 2. You need a receipt to return faulty goods. With faulty goods you just need to prove purchase. Receipts are the easiest way, yet any other legitimate proof is acceptable.

cont....

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

RIGHT 2. Buy online & you CAN return without faults. Unlike instore, the Distance Selling Regulations mean you've a right to a no-fault return for online orders (and telephone, catalogue etc.) within seven days of receipt.

MYTH 3. You’ve no rights on eBay. If the person’s a ‘trader’ who makes some or all their living buying or selling, or it’s a ‘buy it now’ sale, you’ve the usual SAD FART rights. Yet if it’s a private seller, then it’s just “let the buyer beware”.

RIGHT 3. Your rights are with the retailer. If goods are faulty legally your agreement is with the retailer NOT the manufacturer. If the shop says you must go to the manufacturer, it's wrong.

Cont....

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

RIGHT 4. Get money back on late Christmas deliveries. If you or the retailer specified the goods were for delivery before Xmas, and you don't get them in time, it's a breach of contract and you've a right to compensation. Thus write "must be delivered before Christmas" on order documents before signing.

Happy shopping

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 20:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Groucho- you're Right!

Groucho

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Just thought with Christmas coming up some folk might like to know where they stand when parting with all that..... credit...

Coachie

Message Posted:
10/12/2008 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Quite so groucho.Bought some thing off e-bay,wasnt what I wnted ,contacted the seller by e-mail,sent goods back( at your own expense)had a full refund of price...

breezyboy

Message Posted:
11/12/2008 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Recently Breezygirl bought a pair of wellingtons from Wilkinsons. They were tied together but 2 different sizes! When she took them back a snotty little girl told her it was her fault for not trying them on. As Breezygirl has a strong Ukrainian accent said snotty tart was def taking advantage of this. Two mins later when I advised her of customers rights and said not to bother I would seek the help of trading standards I received a rather different reply but still with snotty attitude.

Your local Trading Standards department are usually very helpful and will happily advise on any probs.

Groucho

Message Posted:
11/12/2008 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Breezy,

If you see somebody limping around Chester in wellies you'll know they bought the other pair!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.