North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pets - Advice and help needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pets - Advice and help needed

Pets - Advice and help needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

shel56

Message Posted:
14/01/2012 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi

I think everyone that reads the animal forum knows about Callie now. I've tried to home her with no luck (no surprise really I guess). I have always wanted to take her with me when I leave but she just won't let me pick her up! I can stroke her and she loves that but she changes as soon as she sees a carrier or feels things have changed! I have 2 other cats outside that I am taking with me they have started their injections for rabies already and I really want to get started with Callie otherwise she won't be able to leave.

I have a favour and a question. The favour is if I do get Callie innoculated but not in time for her to come with me would someone foster her until she is ready to go I will buy/pay for all her food until she is legally ready to go and then I WILL come and get her.

My question is can anyone advise on how I can catch her without stressing or hurting her not just once but at least 3 times to get her ready to leave!

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
14/01/2012 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

I thought this might provide you with a small stepping stone to help tame your cat...please let us know if it was in anyway useful.

http://www.for-the-love-of-cats.com/TameFeralCat.html

DD

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
14/01/2012 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

While I know KAR is always busy with their cat traps, it might be worth explaining your problem and asking if you could borrow one for a couple of days, so you could catch her and get her to the vet. I didn't know there is an animal forum, what's it's name please? Slightly off the subject, but maybe of interest for people taking animals back, do you own somewhere in England or are you renting, because when I looked at places to rent, everywhere said no pets, so as well as the problem of getting them back to England, there was the problem of finding somewhere to live. My friend who has gone back had a terrible time trying to find somewhere, it seems no one wants pets in their houses.

CathW

Message Posted:
15/01/2012 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Dear Michelle

I have followed your efforts to find a home for your dear Callie, I know that time is now very much against you but the website posted by mess2 makes a lot of sense. I took in an 8month old from a feral mother, I know she had been homed with a gentleman before me but when I took her in I had no idea what to expect. At that time I had 3 cats (all rescues) and on letting her out of her box in the sitting room, in no time at all she had found a haven between the cooker and at the back of kitchen units. I left food out at night in the cloakroom and a litter tray was in there as well, none of mine used it, you could tell by the size of faeces but she did. One night I came downstairs, the sitting room was always shut & I realized she was out, so I blocked off the space between the cooker. She now took up residence in the cloakroom by the side of the boiler.

CathW

Message Posted:
15/01/2012 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

At least I had access to her and went in there on a regular basis ie hanging out the washing but also to sit with my back to the door and talk to her. With my hand placed about 6" from her nose she started to rub against my hand, as you probably know that initial contact is like nothing else on this earth. It is an acceptance of you. Over a matter of weeks she ventured out and would sit watching me watching tv and gradually came closer till one night whilst I was talking to her she jumped up on my lap, she promptly jumped off again but it was a brilliant milestone. I just wish you had the time to make her feel comfortable in being caged but maybe you need to take the bull by the horns as they say and set up a trap to take her to the vet. I do wish you every success and I am so sorry that I am not over there as I would willingly help out.

All the best of luck

Cath

CathW

Message Posted:
15/01/2012 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

plese back to top

shel56

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Everyone

Thanks for all the imput and advice. All gratefully read and taken on board.

I used the wrong words (Animal Forum), I meant to say Animal Thread. Sorry if I confused.

Callie now, loves to be petted/stroked & every morning/night she greets me and waits with the other 2 to be petted as well. The probs start when I go to pick her up she just turns!

A trap would work once but I need to go to the vet with her on multiple specific dates & last time she was caught she disappeared for weeks.

I've begun getting rougher with her when I handle her & that seems to be working. My aim now is to get her to let me to pick her up and put her in a carrier for the vet without her going manic. I guess I need lots of patience & time - she is getting more comfortable and sometimes it isn't her that is the problem but her two cohorts who constantly vie for my attention as well (I've tried putting them out the way but then she knows what I am up to.

shel56

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

In the end I might have to resort to other means because I can't bear leaving her to fend for herself. I still remember the first day I saw her. All skin and bone and ready to bare her kittens she took one look at me and that was it I had to feed her. The battle now is whether I can win her over and of course when!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.