North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cancer in North Cyprus. Does anyone know why?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cancer in North Cyprus. Does anyone know why?

Cancer in North Cyprus. Does anyone know why?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Almaz

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 53 in Discussion

Does anyone know why cancer is so popular in North Cyprus?

A friend of mine said, that many people die and suffer from cancer in North Cyprus every year. Is there any explanation of that?

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 53 in Discussion

Maybe the high smoking rate among the TC/Turks, also many expats seem to smoke, maybe because of their age.

Just a thought.

Millwall123

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 53 in Discussion

Cancer is on the increase everywhere as we have cured just about everything else. People used to die of a multitude of ills and this was reflected on death certificates.

However now most of the multitude have cures available so we are left with the biggies of heart disease and cancer.

Can we talk about something more cheerful please?

vonny

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 16:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 53 in Discussion

I wonder if its because there are more regular screening on the NHS in the UK and other countrys,ie,cervical,bowel,breast ect. If things are picked up early enough, you have a better chance of beating it.I feel many people here find out too late lowering their chances of survival.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 53 in Discussion

Vonny,

I, too, have wondered if it is because technology has improved so much that the doc's are able to detect cancer more easily.

I also wonder that because the doc's still don't really know the underlying cause of cancer could it be something in what we eat, drink or breath in.

That is why it is so important to get screened and why people should sign up to any health or anti cancer campaigns just as Tulips ran last year as early detection can increase anyone's chance of survival upto 40% and I personally think that is a good %.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 53 in Discussion

People going out in the sun without cream and wearing head protection, talking to a couple last year they were selling up because he was having to return to UK for treatment he had skin cancer on his bald head and over his face, his wife said he would never wear a hat. His remark made me think he said "our dream was to live in the sun we retired here two years ago and our dream is killing me".

astro941

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 53 in Discussion

Wood smoke possibly contributing http://burningissues.org/ws-cancer-reuters7-05.htm

hadenough

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 53 in Discussion

probaly to do with the power station no filters fitted

hadenough

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 53 in Discussion

Apparently ther should be filters fitted to the chimneys but they are too expensive to fit you can see the smog its not good people are moving away from the vicinity of the power station

tyalgin

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 53 in Discussion

There are probably a number of causes.

My primary suspicion is food. Laws regulating pesticides and pesticide testing are both insufficient. Same goes for animal products: antibiotics use, disease monitoring, transportation of meat & milk... I know these are below EU standards as well.

Second, you all know the Dikmen dump? This is where everything ends up including batteries, medical waste, chemicals, etc... And guess where all that goes? Up in the air and down below earth where it joyfully pollutes underground water sources. Even though bottled water producers filter the water they pack, I'm not sure if filtering is enough to completely purify it. I know from previous readings that some chemicals are extremely difficult to get rid of.

Finally, the sun, smoking, and lifestyle (kebabs and no physical activity) all increase the odds.

Jonholmes

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 53 in Discussion

The food issue is strange, there was the same situation years ago. I believe the problem is that we have become so anally retentive with food hygiene, health and safety etc that we are completely over compensating and now living in such an antibacterial environment that our natural immune systems are no longer able to withstand even the most minor of infections or diseases.

In my opinion, this has nothing to do with cancer but should certainly be considered with regards to the increase of poor health.

martin

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 53 in Discussion

i no one thing if u have cancer here is not the place to be

treatment is not much good and it is a rip off big time

seeing and living with some one who had cancer and seeing the treatment they had and the zero after care and false hope the doctors gave here in the trnc

well i wound not wish it on any one

bazzagirl

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 53 in Discussion

Stress and heartbreak could also be a contributing factor, due to hooky builders, advocates and maintenance companies, committees etc etc, bleeding peeople dry of there life savings with no deeds forthcoming, stress lowers the immune system which can be a major cause of cancer. Some devious corrupt people haave a lot to answer for ??

Jonholmes

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 53 in Discussion

Surely when people move to a foreign country ,you first do your homework especially if you are older and might need health care , excluding the property issues , what did you expect St Thomas hospital ?Look at the size of the population, and it has embargos.

lovelife

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 53 in Discussion

I t would be interesting to look at what types of cancer are prevelant in the TRNC.

So is lung cancer or head and neck more prevelant due to smoking/lifestyle?

Is skin cancer more prevelant due to the sun and people not taking adequate sun screen/cover?

What is the ratio of male cancers to female cancers and also are certain age groups more affected?

What is the role of Tulips? I know little about what they do apart from fund an oncolgy ward in one of the hospitals and support those undergoing treatment for cancer, is there anything else they provide/support/fund?

LL

waddo

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 53 in Discussion

I have just had the Mens Cancer Check at the NEU Hospital and have been cleared of all cancers. However, if I had been diagnosed with any cancer, then the NEU is the place I would want to be. If you have never been there then it is worth a trip to see how a modern hospital should be run. They have equipment that is state of the art and fully qualified staff to use it, they are professional, courteous and helpful beyond belief.

Thank you for organizing this event and putting my mind at rest over the cancer issue. Being a smoker for the past 50 years I was a little worried!

Why there appears to be a high incidence of cancer on the Island is quite beyond me, the diet of fresh veg/salads and fish/meat appears to be ideal so I can only assume that it is down to excess in other things that is causing the problem. For non-Cypriots you can point the blame at the sun, for many you can point at the bar and for a diminishing few you can point at the ashtray. What else is there?

blade

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 53 in Discussion

I was reading in our local paper about the old asbestos water pipes being replace. that did make me wonder.

waddo

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 53 in Discussion

I have it on good authority from the MOD that asbestos will not give you cancer once you have been posted away to another unit where there is no asbestos! The last unit I was at had signs on the ceiling warning against sticking thumb tacks into the walls and ceiling due to asbestos in both of them - provided you did not stick tacks in you were ok, so it must have been the tacks that gave you cancer!!!

Don't worry about asbestos in the water pipes here - but think back on all the old lead pipes your water ran through in the UK!!!! Whatever happened to the exhaust fume theory for cancer anyway???

rowlo

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 53 in Discussion

its the stray dogs i tell you , and lack of oily fish

Tonyta

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 02:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 53 in Discussion

In my uneducated opinion Cancer is caused by the individual cells either switching off and not being replaced (consumption) or not switching off when they should and being replaced by new cells.(Tumours). As the cells have been programmed from conception there is not much you can do about it. This is why some people can drink and smoke until the cows come home and remain cancer free and others who do not smoke or drink gat cancer. Same with the skin. Sad life is it not???? Discuss. I am off to bed.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 53 in Discussion

Sorry but this is going to be a very long answer to all of the above:

Many of you will know or know of me from the publicity with regards to the fund raising that both Carole and myself do for Help Those With Cancer Association/Tulips.

No-one thinks they are going to get cancer and so many people do not think of it as a disease that will affect them until they are diagnosed with it or have a close friend or relative going through the diagnosis and treatment.

Both Carole and I got involved with Tulips as a result of me having cancer which was found through a health check promotion via nurseawful (also another friend of Carole’s was diagnosed with cancer earlier) and we wanted to repay them for the warm welcome, help and advice they so readily gave which at the time was absolutely invaluable.

Ask yourself these questions:

Where would you go if you were diagnosed with cancer for advice?

If you cannot speak Turkish very well, how do you cope with organising your hospital ap

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 53 in Discussion

.. organising your hospital appointment?

What tests do you need?

Where do you go for them?

Where can you go for a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion on your diagnosis and treatment?

Can you even go back to UK for treatment?

Are you still registered with a doctor in the UK?

I didn’t know the answer to any of these questions, needless to say on first being diagnosed I was lost and I admit to being scared and having no idea where to go. I don’t wish to scare people but please try to imagine yourself in this situation for one moment.

I could not go back to UK for any treatment as I cannot get re-registered with a doctor without a utility bill in my name and to be honest in hindsight (and after some research) I am not sure that I would have wanted to go back as UK does not have a good record for survival of cancer.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 53 in Discussion

Before anyone comments on me wanting to go back to UK – yes we do have money put aside for treatment so that was not my reason for going back but UK seemed a safer option only because of the language barriers over here but more importantly my mum and sister were there.

I had all my treatment in the TRNC at the NEU, which was superb and much cheaper than I would have had to pay privately in UK and Lefkosa State Hospital for my chemotherapy, which again was excellent.

The Association does not differentiate between nationalities; it will help anyone who walks through their door. Now the Association is seeing at least one new ex-pat patient per week seeking help and reassurance.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 53 in Discussion

Unfortunately due to rising costs and the high level of cancer patients in this country, and this covers both expats as well as locals, the Association now needs 120,000TL per month to survive.

Please look at our new English website with regards to what the Association does and what the cancer rates are in the TRNC, sorry but we do not have any up to date figures however these were issued last year by the government and printed in the Cyprus Today.

We are still working on this so please be patient us as it has not been officially launched:

http://www.tulips-trnc.com

I hope that this answers some of your queries and thoughts about Tulips and cancer, if you require any further information you can email us on:

tulipscarole@yahoo.com

Thank you and sorry if I have gone on a bit too long!

Sue

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 53 in Discussion

My guess is a combination of factors... viz.

Ageing population of immigrants/temp residents

Smoking (the number of ardent smokers is probably higher than most European countries

Poor diet of those living on high fat, high salt and low nutritional value foods

Other diseases don't get you first...

We all have to doe of something - when you eradicate nearly all the other causes - strokes, cancers and heart related problems will get you in the end!

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 08:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 53 in Discussion

die not doe (fingers are cold)

nurseawful

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 09:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 53 in Discussion

Personally I can find no correlation between cancers and smoking here, or even the types of cancers diagnosed. Also no correlation between alcohol and cancers. (personally know 4 cancer patients at this moment in time that have never smoked and all different cancers)

Until someone does some proper research I think we will all be guessing. Who is to say that the people with this disease from other parts of the world (immigrants) would not have had the same diagnosis if they remained there!

Chris

p.s. Also because we live in such a small area we tend to hear of, or know more people with cancer than we would have if we lived in the UK.

Isabella

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 53 in Discussion

I am always wary of someone just coming onto the forum and making a blank statement without supporting documentation. I read previous postings by this person!!!

Where are the figures over a number of years? How do these compare with other countries, again figures?

Some people like to stir up trouble, or maybe put something on such a forum which they know will create interest and comment in order to keep readers interest in Cyprus44.

I think figures have increased tremendously throughout the world and I am sure will continue to do so, especially as we are living longer and leading more stressful working lives.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 53 in Discussion

Msg 28: Isabella,

Not quite sure who your comments are aimed at in relation to figures quoted but if I could just say that if (and only if) it is in relation to anything I have written, then I can say that the monthly running costs of 120,000TL is a figure quoted only last week to me by the Chairperson of the Association.

All the figures quoted on our website are from an article in the Cyprus Today from last year when a government minister announced these cancer figures to the public.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding from my messages above.

Sue

shrimp

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 53 in Discussion

I agree with nurseawful, as cyprus is a small area news gets around quickly.......I work in a health centre and at the moment out of 8500 patients or so we have two terminally ill cancer patients. No one talks about the other 8498 patients that dont have cancer,..............bad news travels faster than good news......................

Tango1

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 53 in Discussion

I am not and would never profess to be a "rock" person (can't even remember what they are called!!) However last year, the subject of the number of cancer sufferers in relation to the number of people living here came up in conversation. The "rock" person (wish I could remember what they are called) said that "he wasn't suprised" bearing in mind some of the strata of rocks in the mountains that our mains water was filtered through. I have insufficient knowledge to go deeper into the subject via the Internet, but it would be very interesting to find someone who really knows what he was referring to. Lets face it was all assume (at least I do/did) that it probably as pure as you can get, under the circumstances. Maybe it isn't after al?

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 53 in Discussion

It's not just the population in TRNC, due to poor build quality, your Villa is also at risk of Cancer.....It just gets better and better.. http://www.renovate.com.au/docs/index.cfm?page=print&record=367

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 53 in Discussion

Tango1

A geologist?

Bradus

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 53 in Discussion

I did a quick literature search to confirm which cancers are more prevalent in Cyprus compared to Europe and the US. It is almost impossible to gather this information because, as you can imagine, the TRNC are not big on data collection.

The other problem is that any statistics given are more than likely to relate to the ROC rather than the TRNC and how many residents return to England or Turkey for medical assessment and treatment and therefore become another countries statistics? The few articles I did read would suggest that all types of cancer are much the same as one would expect to find in populations throughout Europe and America, except for childhood (under 15 years) cancers like leukemia and brain tumours which have an higher incidence.

I would suggest that there is not enough accurate up-to-date information to make sweeping statements about increased cancer rates in the TRNC.

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 12:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 53 in Discussion

"Personally I can find no correlation between cancers and smoking here"

Nursey!

You must be the only person in the western world.....

lovelife

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 53 in Discussion

Hi Scoobydoo

Thanks for the website and information.

LL

Swany

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 53 in Discussion

"The TRNC has the 5th highest Cancer rate per head of population in the whole World" Quote from TULIPs web site. Not doubting it but would be nice to know where this fact has come from.

The following could be contributing factors: -

Over use of DDT in the past (and allegedly now illegally).

The heavy metals from the old copper mines and the power station.

Smoking.

And as per all of Euro more and more people are overweight.

Maybe a genetic disposition.

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 53 in Discussion

I don't see Cyprus in the top five ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/jan/24/worldwide-cancer-rates-uk-rate-drops#data

waddo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 53 in Discussion

Maybe it has just been worked out by how many cases in each 100,000. As the latest census shows (hmmmm) there are only 300,000 of us here so by that count we could easily lead the world!

On the other hand - as neither Cyprus nor Turkey show in the top 59 and one would expect the figures to be incorporated within either of them (or both if left to the RoC) then maybe it is not quite as high as thought.

Even 1 per 100,000 is too many anyway and my thanks to Tulips yet again for pointing it out and doing things about it.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 20:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 53 in Discussion

Swany:

Please can you read msg's 24 and 29 again and you will find your answer or at least part of it.

Once again the figures quoted on our website were figures quoted by the government in an interview/announcement with the Cyprus Today and was published in this paper for all to see.

The only problem I personally have got is that I cannot remember the name of the person who stated this and am still looking for the article!

metininkibris

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 20:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 53 in Discussion

scoobydoo check your inbox

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 06:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 53 in Discussion

Hi metininkibris,

I have checked our in box and the spam box and there is nothing there from you can you please try again on:

tulipscarole@yahoo.com

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you.

Sue

jersey

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 06:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 53 in Discussion

with regards to msg 1, I know I'm new, however, I never actually though cancer was popular anywhere.......

girne 29

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 53 in Discussion

Perhaps the unrestrained dumping of chemicals and materials and rubbish which eventually contaminates the water base and food chain???

Pesticides are also known to have caused increases in cancer rates throughout the world.

Are there any controls of agricultural additives in TRNC?and imported veg as enforced in EU and US.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 53 in Discussion

jersey, message 43.

I'm glad you pointed that out. It seemed a very odd statement to me, too

NB Before anyone says anything, please note that I am not under-estimating the seriousness of the matter.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 53 in Discussion

Cancer causes - My view, Multiple culprits

Interior psychological - individual cannot deal with significant emotional event. Body creates negative emotions which are carried to cell receptor sites through neuro peptides. Feedback loop to the brain and back to cells. Eventual cellular destruction.

Interior psychological group - Person no longer feels valuable to community or family. Cells go through a process of apoptosis - cellular destruction. Also community may have been degraded or abused leading to group destruction. Cant find there place in the world. May also be linked to genealogical - morphic resonance

Interior biological - Person chooses to eat shit food. The food does not repair cellular destruction but instead creates further destruction by creating toxicity in the system

Exterior system - environmental pollution. Particulate microns enter blood stream from burners (nasty shit). Toxicity from dumping,etc

brother

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 53 in Discussion

Msg. 46. Re: "Interior psychological - individual cannot deal with significant emotional event. Body creates negative emotions which are carried to cell receptor sites through neuro peptides. Feedback loop to the brain and back to cells. Eventual cellular destruction. "

I am still trying to understand why my father contracted lung cancer (non smoker) and died within 6 months of having a major row with a member of family. He was in his early 80s and indeed had been an avid grilled and salty food eater until his 70s. Other people have also died of other cancers in the same village but they were all elderly like my father.

The key thing for us is what started as a continuing chesty cough was ignored by my father and treated as a bacterial infection. My mother now has annual checks - paranoid? maybe but in the last 6 months she has had a benign nodule removed from her throat. The surgeon menioned that a lot of people are being diagnosed with malignant nodules in their throat.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 53 in Discussion

Cancer causes - my view.

With some familial/environmental exceptions - "The Luck of the Bloody Draw"

PaulW

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 14:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 53 in Discussion

Message 46........................So you've no idea then.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 53 in Discussion

msge 47

"......of having a major row with a member of family."

Sorry to hear about your father

There are different types of cancers, and probably different types of causes, however I suspect that there is often a strong psychological component involved in many. Of course, this would be denied by most scientists, however I have read extensively in this area. My main reference is Dr Hammer who studied 31,000 cancer patients and he found that all his patients had a significant emotional event that they just could not deal with. Often this would be an unresolved emotional event (often a loss) with a family member that was held in the system for a long time, normally two years.

Other useful references on the connection between mind and body are Dr Bruce Lipton, Professor Candace Pert, Dr Tad James, Dr Deepak Chopra, Dr Joe Dispensa and there are many others

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 53 in Discussion

msge 50

correction

.........and probably different types of causes, which I have listed in msge 46.......

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 15:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 53 in Discussion

ps the four areas that I mention in msge 46 may also be our best form of defence against cancer.

*Love and forgiveness to others (I know that is not easy). A couldn't care less type of attitude. Personal stress reduction and physical exercise.

*Strong loving family and community ties.

*Healthy nutritious food

*Campaign for better environmental protection.

But of course, we are not going to live for ever. (although there might be some significant breakthroughs in increasing our longevity just around the corner - if you can afford it)

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 53 in Discussion

pps forgot to mention the power of laughing and having fun as a potential antidote. It worked for Norman cousins.

You can get his book at amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anatomy-Illness-Norman-Cousins/dp/0553343653

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.