North Cyprus Tourist Board - Do you have to have a dog licence in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Do you have to have a dog licence in TRNC

Do you have to have a dog licence in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Pippie

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

The title says it all really.

If so, how do you get one, does it only apply to certain dogs (eg, hunting dogs or special breeds)?

Thanks.

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 20:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

We live near Esentepe so have registered both our dogs with there but we also go, yearly, to Girne, pay 12TL per dog and get them registered there and are given a numbered tag for each dog. It's quite painless really.

Pippie

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

CarrieRBag, where in Girne do you have to go? When you say you've registered them in Esentepe, is that at the Belediye? Why would you register your dogs in two places, what's the benefit?

Is the dog licence a legal requirement?

Karmels

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Pippe.

All dogs have to be have a license in the TRNC.

The office we us is on the road up to the Wednesday market just before the driving school.

You will need all the papers from your vet to show the dog/s are up to date on their jabs.

This must be done every year.

rowlo

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

the same question could be asked about the driving license lmao ,

birdman

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

You need to register your dogs ONCE only in Girne (12TL) and then annually also at your local Beladyse. 12 Tl in Girne from the Government Vetinary Surgery Opposite the Girne Hospital. . The local Beledyse charges depend if the dogs have been neutered or not. For un-neutered dogs the price is 45TL and bitches 35TL in Alsancak.

Gerry

mahdel

Message Posted:
16/01/2012 22:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

If you have an extremely kindly vet (mine works for the beledeyesi in Guzelyurt) they may do this for you as I just gave mine 12 tl and he brought me back the official stuff.

snd1966

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 06:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/74247.asp

i took msg 7's advice and will wait until they contact me.

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Seems it is different in different municipalities. I went to Esentepe Beledeyesi the first time and the lady (as it was then), just put the dogs' names in a book with our address. No payment, no tag. Then we heard you had to register them in Girne so that is what we do. As long as they are registered somewhere and you are paying (!!!!!!) then I guess you will be ok.

Tango1

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

We live in Alsancak, however, as of now you first have to go to the Goverment Vet office, just down the road from the Court in Girne (opposite side of the road), taking vet books and any other paperwork you have for each dog. You hand over 10tl and are given a Spiro tablet and a Green card. This card you then take to your local Belly who ask if your dog is spayed, neutered. You then pay over what ever your local Belly charge, and then your dog is registered.

If you are really lucky, you are given a disc with a number on to put on the dog collar, but either way you must have a name disc with a contact number. This means (or at least it should mean!!) that you will be contacted by the Belly before they dispose of your dog, should it become necessary because of it's behaviour.

It will be mostly Brits and other foreigners who do all of the above. However, you would have no leg to stand on if you were to complain to Belly or police about a locals dog and you hadn't.

BoTanica

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

does anyone know the opening hours of the Girne Vet office?

Pippie

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Thanks everyone for your advice. So ... since it costs so much more to get your dog registered if it un-neutered, and the vets don't like to spay a bitch until she is around 6 months, are you given until the dog is 6mths before you 'must' get it registered?

Out of interest, what's the consequences of not getting your dog registered? I see loads of dogs wandering the streets, bet they've never been registered if they have an owner.

Does the 'Government' enforce this law? Loads more taxes they could be collecting!!!

blade

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

None of our dogs have ever been registered, i think it depends on what area you live in.

Two of them were imported legally so are registered here of sorts.

Every year they call me and ask me to come and collect wormers. I just tell them its all taken care of by my vet and quote his name. OK then no worries. (They know i worm my dogs every three months with out fail)

birdman

Message Posted:
17/01/2012 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

In answer to your question about registering your dog before they are neutered. Dogs do NOT have to be registered until they are 6 months old . ( They CAN be but it is not necessary)

Gerry

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

cant be bothered as the locals dont

mine are microchipped healthy and contained within my property and have no intention of registering them unless locals improve standards with dogs of their own

Tango1

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

Msg.15, I'm sure you're correct up to a point. However, we are the cash cows here and from what has happened re foreigners on other subjects, we wouldn't have a leg to stand on if one of our dogs was found wandering the streets and annoying people. The local Belly would soon dispose of it if it didn't have a name and phone number on it's collar. If your dog has a tag with name and your telephone number, then at least they should (and I say should) contact you first.

blade

Message Posted:
18/01/2012 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

Tango. i think it depends on if you are the type of person to let your dog stray or wander around.

Mine would never cross the gate line so to speak.

What you do and keep on your own land is your business. I have to agree with Cyprusairsoft, until standards improve why should i?

Tango1

Message Posted:
19/01/2012 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Msg/17 I couldn't agree with you more, however as I know from recent experience - just down the road from me is a woman who has 14 dogs and pups (a local Solicitor). Her dogs almost killed one of mine in 2010 (he was on a lead) and this year they have ripped a pup to shreds and very nearly done the same to a friends small dog she has recently taken off the streets. The police were brough to see the set up (at the time we only saw 9 dogs/pups) since then two men from Alsancak Belly came to see things and listened to what we had to say but "we are afraid" to see for themselves and would send a Manager who had authority to shoot dogs. To the best of my knowledge, despite being contacted twice more, no-one from Alsancak Belly has visited the property and the dogs still run wild. No-one ever walks now, we have to take cars to pass the property most of the time. IT IS NOT A POLICE MATTER SAY LAPTA POLICE.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.