North Cyprus Tourist Board - hbpg 10/12/08
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > hbpg 10/12/08

hbpg 10/12/08

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Home Buyers Pressure Group (HBPG) Threads posted so far

» Also look at permission popular tag and purchase popular tag

» HBPG Official Website - www.hbpg-trnc.net

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 02:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Just had an e-mail from somebody who attended the meeting at the pia bella. I dont understand if buyers register their sales contracts how could the constructor mortgage the land on which your property sits? One of the companies was named as Santa-Fe, one of the biggest in the Trnc. I thought this law gave us protection from this kind of thing happening.

kibrissibel

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 08:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Only time will tell the real protection that registration provides, but if there was a mortgage on the land prior to registration of contracts, the mortgage takes priority over registration. Once registration has been done, according to the estate agents law, the land owner must have permission from the contract holders before he can take out any new mortgage.

Sibel

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Think this just states what we all know in our hearts.

Listen to all you hear from authorities and believe none of it.

There is never any proof that we would be able to find but money is king!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I found it so disappointing at the turn out on wednesday, yes many live in UK but of the thousands of properties only about 50 were represented. We cannot change the laws here but with the power that we "could have" then powers that be may listen. Unfortunalty apathy rules so why should I go to meetings to fight for people who do not care about what might happen.

Bradus

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

CIH,

Excellent post. I remember when this forum was full of excellent advice from experienced buyers in the TRNC. Sharing their experiences allowed others not to make the same mistakes. It made sure we were directed to suitable advocates, developers and estate agents and didn't handover hugh sums of money and sign "already prepared" contracts.

Unfortunately the tide has turned and for some reason many people would rather accept what their builder is saying (even when they have handed over most of their money and have nothing to show for it 2-3 years later) than listen to advice from others.Most of the advice is to direct buyers to HBPG and not handover any more money. Or join together so that you have a united front and the builder has to be consistent in what he is saying to eveyone.

I am not sure if the lethargy springs from feelings of hopelessness or is a mental defence mechanism as the realisation is too bitter a pill to swollow.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

As time drags on and the misinformation from developers mounts up, people are more likely to accept what they certainly would not have accepted 3 years earlier. They want closure and the desire for this closure is heightened by what they continue to read on forums and discuss with other "victims".

Back in July we were so close to completion with mainly small things unfinished. I asked myself and the boss if we thought the property was still good value. Of course the answer was yes. Next question, would it still be good value if it cost £5k more. The answer was again yes. So I accepted that I would have to pay sonmeone competent to do bits and pieces. The feelings we had about the place changed overnight and we were feeling so much happier. The bits and pieces haven't cost that much compared to the peace of mind we have had since then. Now we can concentrate on the important things, like the herb garden!!

Bradus

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Well done Breezyboy and proof that by being proactive, weighing up your options and taking control, you can still achieve your desires.

Molly

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 14:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

There are a few good companies out there - unfortunately they are by far in the minority.

Despite all the problems and publicity, there are still many people who take leave of their senses after having decided to buy a property. Even if they have no problems to date, they should attend the HBPG meetings or regularly visit the website to understand WHAT CAN GO WRONG.

Again, there are a few good lawyers, but they are in the minority and certainly do not come cheap. Of course, you can do most things yourself but how many people bother. A good lawyer will not recommend that you go to court when there is a dispute. They are perfectly aware of how inadequate the laws are in protecting foreign purchasers.

For those people who have nothing to show for their investment, neither a permission to purchase or title deed, do not sit and wait for HBPG to fight your corner. Marian and her colleagues have achieved tremendous things and have made all their information available. Cont'd

Molly

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Cont'd

You have a responsibility to be vigilant throughout the whole buying process.

My personal view is that HBPG's ability to influence the law makers is now dependent on the Purchasers themselves joining the fray/lobby - whatever you want to call it. There is strength in numbers.

I know there are thousands of people waiting for their deeds and hundreds who have property issues that they probably regard as unsolvable. Don't give up, don't write off thousands of pounds that you have worked extremely hard for.

Marian has stated, more than once, that hand-holding is there for those that want it. It may seem overwhelming initially but all of the speakers at Wednesday's meeting took that first step and have gained strength from the support they've had. Taking some responsibility for their own situation has also given them courage and the heart to continue the fight.

Don't let the bad guys win.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
12/12/2008 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

I am going to start a fresh thread in trying to find what people would be prepared to do to. The time for sitting back and expecting others to do everything is long gone.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.