North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electric Cattle Prodders
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electric Cattle Prodders

Electric Cattle Prodders

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 16:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

As some of you are aware (i have posted about this before) there is a road i must walk down to catch the bus, there is a shorter road, but bus's never use it, so if i use the short road, chances are i'l miss the the next available bus. Trouble is, the road i must use is patrolled by 2 brown and white hunting dogs...and everytime i try to walk down this road they come out of nowhere, growling and barking with foam coming out of their mouths etc etc...today i believe i was lucky to walk away with my own 2 legs!! So, what do i do?

The dogs are there to protect the house's sheep, goats and chickens, and may i say, they do a very fine job of it...however...i am not the only person that must walk down this street, therefore i am not the only person that is getting attacked!!

I do not want to complain to the muchtar, as these are my neighbours, and i do not want to start a war...so, do you think an electric cattle prodder would be ok to use in this extreme case?? Please help.

DD

rowlo

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

try giving them a bone DD

waddo

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Pepper!!! Its cheap to buy and easy to carry in a plastic bag. A handful thrown into the air - not directly at the dog - as the dog comes towards you, will generally do the trick. Just remember how much better a nose the dog has got and imagine yourself walking through a cloud of it. Less harmful than the prodder and it stays in the memory as well!

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

To be honest waddo..i dont actually care anymore, the 2 holes in my ankle calll for more than pepper

DD

waddo

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Ah! Then a brick on a length of rope is the only answer.

I have two dogs of my own by the way and love them the way they should be loved. But a dog only goes bad because of a bad owner! I know you should not blame the dog but they are a pack animal after all - like football supporters - lol, so self protection has to be taken, regardless!

If these dogs are of the Pointer breed then they will be very fast and agile so probably the brick on the rope is not the answer either, a good stout stick about 1.5 mtrs long is ideal! Whilst I know it is of little use to you now, I have found this advice to be the best but you need courage and faith in yourself above all else. Good luck DD.

http://www.wikihow.com/Handle-a-Dog-Attack

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

"I do not want to complain to the muchtar, as these are my neighbours, and i do not want to start a war...so, do you think an electric cattle prodder would be ok to use in this extreme case"??

I don't understand why many, when at the top of the food chain (because we have been blessed with a voice box) fail to use that facility? You could speak to the Mukhtar, who would then speak to your neighbour in his own language, or you could speak to the neighbour - yet instead of trying either first, you think it wouldn't cause a war, for the neighbour to hear his dogs yelping in pain, having been prodded with a cattle prod????????????? Much less, that you don't think the dogs won't remember that, and (as a pack) will at some juncture, circle you (you can only prod one at a time) and take their revenge? They are only doing what they are there to do - as dogs, they aren't cognisant enough to sort out passers-by from reprobates - if it were me, I TRULY would try speaking to someone first!

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Sorry DD ,I dont think you are a person to be easily frightened by dogs, or complain unnecessarily, so this is serious.

I think you really should speak to the Muhtar - you may find that other neighbours are very grateful to you. But dont tackle the owners yourself unless you are sure you can cope with repercussions or have support. If nothing is done eventually someone will take matters into their own hands and poison the m anyway and probably a few other harmless animals in the process.

Meantime try throwing stones they dont have to be big stones or actually have to hit them. Often they will retreat at the threat, or aim low so they skittle around their paws. Has worked for me when threatened by large aggressive dogs when walking me small ones. And carry a stick - for preferenc a whippy one that will sting without causing permanent damage - again often the threat is enough

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Sorry DD ,I dont think you are a person to be easily frightened by dogs, or complain unnecessarily, so this is serious.

I think you really should speak to the Muhtar - you may find that other neighbours are very grateful to you. But dont tackle the owners yourself unless you are sure you can cope with repercussions or have support. If nothing is done eventually someone will take matters into their own hands and poison the m anyway and probably a few other harmless animals in the process.

Meantime try throwing stones they dont have to be big stones or actually have to hit them. Often they will retreat at the threat, or aim low so they skittle around their paws. Has worked for me when threatened by large aggressive dogs when walking me small ones. And carry a stick - for preferenc a whippy one that will sting without causing permanent damage - again often the threat is enough

birdman

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

The simple answer is to buy a water pistol ! Water aimed at a dogs face does not hurt them and discourages them from approaching closer, in fact a few well aimed shots will make them retreat rapidly.

Gerry

rick1

Message Posted:
20/01/2012 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Have you got a personal alarm, dogs have sensitive hearing and a loud high pitched alarm may do the trick, i also endorse the water treatment, i used an old washing up liquid bottle and it did the trick.

Best of luck

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.