North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are Kibtec alternating the voltage on purpose?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are Kibtec alternating the voltage on purpose?

Are Kibtec alternating the voltage on purpose?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

Windycorner

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Here in Karsiyaka, the voltage has alternated between 273 volts ac at 7.00.a.m. and 235 volts ac at 4.30.p.m. It is back up to 260 volts ac now at 5.10.p.m. This is worse than a power cut as one is reluctant to use any appliances.

Has Elko any views on this!

begonia

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

I believe the whole problem is that the government wants to let Turkey own and run the power company. The Cypriots for obvious reasons don't want this. They are trying to put pressure on the government to change their mind. Now the Cypriot staff have all been sacked. Is this correct ?

kizzie

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hi can anyone tell me if mobile signal has been cut bcoz i cant reach my bf in Gemakonagi? I know there was a potential problem bcoz of electricity, thank you

Bradus

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Workers from Turkey have now been flown in. Will this escalate the problem or solve it?

elko2

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

I suggest that you do not use any of your normal appliances if the voltage is over 258 volts. If your appliance is rated at 220 volts, don't use it over 250 volts.

Nobody has been sacked yet but it will happen very soon. the fact is that the government "postponed" the strike for 60 days and the union officials faced imprisonment if they did not lift the strike. They chickened out and called it off but they encouraged workers not to work, saying that individual workers have the freedom not to work. this is tantamount of being absent with no leave or good reason and they are open to disciplinary action including sacking.

We have two main power stations in TRNC, the main one at Teknecik run by Kib-tek and the other one at Kalecik run by AKSA, a Turkish owned private company. At Kalecik they have only diesel engines with about 20 MVA capacity each, I think six sets. At Teknecik they have two steam turbines at 60 MVA each plus about six diesel engines similar to Kalecik. ctd.

elko2

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

ctd.

staff from AKSA are operating the diesel engines at Teknecik as well but hey are not toucing the steam tubines as they are more susceptible to damage against mistakes.

The fact is that the unions are trying to avert privatization of Kib-tek and telecommunications. Should the final say belong to the unions or the parliament? To me the answer is simple: it must be the parliament. thus I am against the strikes.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

I read its only the meter reading and bills they want to privatise. Not the whole of kibtek.

kizzie

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

I am totally against these strikes when innocent people are suffering. This is a democratic society, not some oppressed regime, come on government stand up for your people, they are your backbone so where is yours for them???

islandgirl

Message Posted:
22/01/2012 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

It seems the government are standing up. Good on them.

Thanks for the info ISMET it is nice to know the facts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.