North Cyprus Tourist Board - KIBTEK & Telekom strikes: who is to blame?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > KIBTEK & Telekom strikes: who is to blame?

KIBTEK & Telekom strikes: who is to blame?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

tyalgin

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

We currently have overstaffed public companies that are inefficient and cumbersome. The workers enjoy public servant status and have job guarantee, better benefits, etc... They of course want to hold on to these advantages and oppose privatisation.

On the other hand, the government is holding on to privatisation not because it believes this will increase the quality of these services but because Turkey is pressuring it to sell everything. Sell to whom? To companies close to AKP of course (such as AKSA, currently running a power generating plant).

I normally support privatisation. However, in a small market of 300000, it is almost impossible to create a competitive market. And when there is no real competition, private corporations will not be pressured to lower costs or increase quality of service. This is probably the reason why Greek Cypriots still have a public telecom company (Cyta) as well as a public power company (forgot the name).

tyalgin

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

The government wants to go on with privatisation no matter what. They wont take social groups views into consideration and only seem to obey Turkey's will.

Unions on the other hand have tried to negotiate for the past few months. The strike didnt happen in one night. They are proposing autonomy instead of privatisation. Meaning these entities will be able to plan/budget/hire/fire on their own.

I'm tempted to pick the unions side. What do you think?

kibsolar

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

Iam also tempted to pick the unions side...

but not because we will meet on wednesday to discuss your solar system...

parkview

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

No excuses I am sorry, I have a small child that is very ill! this is selfish and dangerous to the old, very young and sick, holding the country and people to ransom, tantamount to terrorism! any sympathy has gone out the window.

elko2

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Is it the unions or the parliament to decide on privatisation?

I rest my case.

ismet

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 22:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

What about the dire financial situation of KIBTEK? They are only intending to privatise the “billing and collection” part of the electricity board as apparently there is a lot of wastage and pirate use of electricity which the current service cannot cope with. Apparently current debts by KIBTEK were up to 250 million! If not sorted, KIBTEK would go bankrupt by June.”

Is this Kibtec mismanagement or the TRNC Government that according to media reports do not pay their bills? Can Kibtek do nothing about this but sit back and watch the debt keep rising? Should Kibteks staff pay and conditions include free electricity? Is it a case of too many at the trough?

Sounds to me like privatisation is the only way forward.

tania

Message Posted:
23/01/2012 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

Msg 4 - I feel so sorry for you.Hope your little one gets better soon.

Hopefully the power will be back on soon!

LaptaXpat

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 07:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

I have never had sympathy with layabouts and scroungers who use unions to bully everyone else. I hope their neighbours, friends and relatives know who they all are (and ultimately take revenge). The UK went through all this in the seventies, including the revenge. The unions are now irrelevant in the UK, the layabouts were made unemployed and many families fell out and never spoke to each other to this day. So to all you scroungers who are too cowardly to stand up without your macho mates; you WILL reap what you deserve.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

Message 1

"I normally support privatisation. However, in a small market of 300000, it is almost impossible to create a competitive market. And when there is no real competition, private corporations will not be pressured to lower costs or increase quality of service."

Pray tell, what 'quality of service' do you think that Kibtek provide currently ? In fact, what 'quality of service' do any of the TRNC's state owned/civil service departments provide ?

As an example, I went to the Girne Belediyesi last week to register my 2 dogs. I took along last year's forms so that it would make it (even) easier for the staff to do.The result - It took 2 people half an hour to write out 2 forms, each of which had approx 15 words on each !When I came to pay, they didn't have any money as a 'float' and I then had to wait whilst they went to the shop down the road to get my 50TL note changed.

You couldn't make it up !!!

That said, the staff were polite - a refreshing change

LaptaXpat

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

power just came back in lapta at 18.19 after off all day. is net back on?

Cazleo

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

While Turkey are having to help the TRNC pay the £60 million MONTHLY public sector salary bill, I think they have a right to try and bring the costs down through privatisation. If the TRNC can manage to find the money to pay it all themselves, then they have the right to decide whether to privatise or not.

As was posted by someone else on here, Kib-Tek workers work 8 days a month for 5000TL, they get paid additional for overtime, have their 13th month salary, free electicity and an extremely good pension or two.

Private sector workers are on minimum wage (1500TL) for six days a week, 10 hours a day, considerable disparity here! And people wonder why this country has to rely on Turkey!!!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

msg 11;

CYPRIOTS do NOT wander at all why " why this country has to rely on Turkey",in fact WE don't rely on turkey at all,it's quite the oppesite,they rely on us but use the bullt system to get what they want.

in simple words.............feel free to tell them to get the hell out of MY COUNTRY.

elko2

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

Yorgozlu,

We do not see eye to eye but I love the clarity of your messages. No ifs or buts

ismet

Troodo

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Some of you TC’s make expats seem positively intelligent.

sylvie

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

bravo Yorguzlu !!!!

hattikins

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Telekom workers have just been to my neighbours house, one man went inside to deal with the problem, the other Three sat in the van, one of them asleep in the back seat, what a farce, and the unions are now running the country, God help us all.

fireball

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

re mess 12

"We dont rely on Turkey"

Wake up and smell the coffee!!! Do the maths over the last 36 odd years.

Talk about living in cloud cukoo land.

sylvie

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

TURKEY HELP MORE TURKISH CITIZEN LIVING IN NORTH CYPRUS THEY ARE THE MAJORITY COMPAIRING TO TC !

fireball

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Why are they the majority??????

It would not be that hard to be the majority in the TRNC would it, after all the majority of tc's left the island for other countries where they could get have a easier life, and more benefits. They then have the audacity to shout about there great country, where were they when they were needed!!!!!!!

They then return after making a fortune in another country and try to lecture everyone about how the TRNC should be run, no wonder the returnees are disliked so much.

theparson

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

If the workers can get away with it then good luck to them as its human nature to take more than you deserve. The problem starts right at the very top where the politicians all over the world are creaming off the top, so why not the workers?

Labour, Conservative, UBP, DP they are all in the same boat.

ataturk

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

Do you think people would be talking about privatisation if Kibtek

1. Were open normal business hours like other businesses

2. Never had so many powercuts (not talking about the recent ones)

3. Responded quickly when there were problems

4. Streamlined the process to actually get connected in the first place

5. Didnt rip people off by making them choose ony hand picked contractors (who price fix) who could install the transformers so people could get connected up.

6. Didnt want back handers to come out and check that your house is properly wired up in order to get connected and get off builders tariff.

7. Revamped the infrastructure so that eventually we got electric at the correct voltage.

8. Cut the hotels off when they dont pay.

If they done any of the above I am sure most people would see no reason to privatise but unfortunately we are no where near that and so I feel it can only be privatised.

Cazleo

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 18:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

Re message 21....Well said!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

msg 17;

with your knowledge of Cyprus and a bit of of luck,this time next year you'll be a millionere.

still...........pound is on the up...........you'll get more for your money.

as for your comments on msg 19;

you assume too much..................and then have the cheek to accuse others of linving in " cloud cukoo land."

but never mind,if I brought myself down to your levels every time..................

sylvie

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

TC have always been minority - with the GC they were - and when the island has been separate they were still -

talking about TC going to make fortune in foreign country is disgraceful -

what about all those brit or so coming to others country to colonize -

what about foreigners coming to KKTC to live on bank interest ( not any more and good for that)

what about foreigners working illegally with taxi transfer.....

people move to a country for a good reason and i don't see why TC are more guilty than others, most of the one who moved before 1974 went through the 1963 war - but don't worry even if trnc is fulfill with more Turkish citiens now a day - TC are coming back from abroad and foreigners are leaving TRNC for health or economic problems - i won't go any further in this discussion anyway;;;;;;;;;;

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

The problems "with the electricity" goes back to "pre Teknecik times". Until 1992 the electricity came from Mora, the powerstation build from the english for "both communities".

The TRNC did not pay for the production and one unit did cost 1 or 2 eurocent only, just to cover Kibtek distribution costs.

Investment into the infrastructure -- nil.

Government offices, military, counties... and so many more did not pay at all. A/c (heater) on, doors and windows open.. normal. Still normal in 2012!

From this time the privilige that Kibtek employees also do not need to pay for the electricity comes. Sort of a wage, it did not matter.

The greek cypriots announced that they will cut the electricity supply whatever consequences it will have and the TRNC “got” Teknecik installed by German and Austrian technicians. It opened in 1992 and some, not all, changed. Electric prices went up for the public, but privileges still on.

cont

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

The government, not Kibtek, set the price for one unit, and this price always was political influenced. Not too high, otherwise we may lose the next election.

Over the last 20 years Kibtek complained so many times that they cannot cover costs, that urgent investments need to be done in a country which needs approx 10-15 % more energy every year! Lines, electric meters.. more power..

How often Kibtek announced that "in 10 days we are out of petrol"? and, finally, Turkey paid the petrol bills for the privileges, for a low public electricity price and for the up to 35.000 soldiers, or was it 50.000?

Kibtek union agreed many times to cut privileges for their own workers, but insisted that ALL privileges should be cut, to achieve proper accounting and a future orientated planning.

All this did not happen.

cont

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Instead, the government wanted to privatise Kibtek 10 years ago. A company offered 1 (one) Turkish lira! That gave them a thought, a “10% additional payment” (for the public only) was introduced for developments as eg the new power station in Famagusta and which just can supply the energy needs for all the new hotels and eg a water desalination plant (2 MW constant power needed). Public gain?

Anyway, since a couple of years the electricity in Government offices, mosques, counties, military and so on, is “measured” , but still, most of them do not pay!

Last year Kibtek shut of a ministery, of course for one day only, then the minister “ordered” Kibtek to connect again.

Kibtek also shut down the Tax office for a couple of hours! Nice joke.

Now Kibtek is declared to be bankrupt and need to be privatized?!

Sure, Kibtek is not able to collect outstanding money! They are not permitted to do so.

cont

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

What would happen, with all this “new” Turkish religious influence , (yorgozlu will love this) if Kibtek would go to eg Karsiyaka or anywhere and cut off, say 20 or 30 mosques? Or all of them!

They own Kibtek roughly 15-20 million euros.

Counties: 30-50 million, state offices: 50-100 million.

Kibteks outstanding bill-amount is, roughly, between 100 and 200 million Euros! Bancrupt?

Sure, Kibtek needs to be “restructured”, but this not only applies for Kibtek.

Sure, Turkey pays wages and pensions for thousands, but this has nothing to do with Kibtek!, Kibtek COULD be a, maybe the only, profitable organization in the TRNC! (opinion from Kibtek, not from me)

Kibteks “resistance”, leading to this terrible strike, as they see it, is not only about their own privileges, it is, a fight for sovereignty and independence from big investors and… politicians.

cont

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

They also have the opinion that “major facilities” like water supply, electricity/energy, (air) traffic, health, telecom.... should be mainly in the possession of the public.

uff.

elko2

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

The fact remains that "autonomy" does not work in TRNC. Cyprus Turkish Airways was autonomous. Eastern Mediterranean University is autonomous and so is Vakiflar bank. The government always has its fingers in all of them. So forget it. Its either privatisation or business as usual.

ismet

kibsolar

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 15:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

Yes, you might be right, Ismet. So, lets buy Kibtek and all the others (cannot be very expensive)... and we do not need elections any more. Or?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 23:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

kibsolar;

I'm not one single bit against the pritasation.Also beleive privitastion will bring better quality and value to the public.

What I am against(and beleive most CYPRIOTS are) is estate belongings being sold to turkish people/companies as well as them being allowed to develope here what they are not allowed in their own country,apearently it's against their relegious beleifs and illegal then turn around and rto make themselves look good (as if) build mosques everywhere in my country,where most of US don't even care to walk inside anymore.

We do have enough rich enough Cypriots who these could be sold to.Besides it might teach them how to earn real living instead of living off from selling what's not even theirs.

annayanas sivri sinek saz........................................

philbailey

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Msg 32 , again a lone voice

speaking the truth

sylvie

Message Posted:
27/01/2012 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

yourguzlu - i do agree with you - hope you can be heard....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.