North Cyprus Tourist Board - From Australia to North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > From Australia to North Cyprus

From Australia to North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

MoBry

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 05:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Last year we contacted this forum as we were thinking of moving to North Cyprus. Well, we kept reading posts and looking at lots of info, and decided to make the big move. Our home has sold, we have sold all our furniture to a couple just starting out - which benefits them and us - and our Subaru sold for cash to a buyer who has been happy to let us drive our car until the end of this week. Our removalists are booked. We fly to Perth for a couple of weeks on 4th February and then, towards late February, we'll be flying to North Cyprus where we have already rented a home. I guess we are both gypsies who get itchy feet, so we are looking forward to our next journey on the Yellow Brick Road. We are not blind to the challenges of living in a new country, we just like adventure. Hopefully we'll be able to catch up with some of you very helpful people on the forum.

MoBry

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 05:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

I should add that my husband's family is in the UK - children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren - which is why we've decided to move a bit closer. But we can't handle the weather in the UK after 40+ years in Australia, so North Cyprus seems a happy compromise where we'll be able to get back to the UK to see family and friends relatively easily. At our age the long-haul flights to the UK are very tiring and quite expensive. Our second-favourite motto is a slight paraphrase of Hunter S Thompson's saying: "“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside waving a glass of champagne, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” We switched his reference to smoking to champagne as we don't smoke. And our favourite motto? The British one: "Onwards and upwards, teacups". Hasta la Vista, folks.

spider

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 06:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Congratulations and all best wishes.

Welcome.

Spider,X

Marion

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

Ah well, I guess I will be the FIRST forum member you will ever meet - and looking forward to it. It will be Coffee Time at the Dome, or maybe even a Gloria |Jeans in Perth in a couple of weeks' time. But I am sure there will be others only too happy to meet you. And if you are looking forward to challenges, I can assure you we have them in plenty at the moment.

MoBry

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks, Spider. And yes, Marion, ironic to be meeting up in Perth, eh? It's in the middle of a diabolical heatwave by the way, while we have major floods on the mid-NSW coast, and our road is cut at the bottom by floods, more torrential rain to come! We'll be arriving in Perth 4th Feb, so give us a bell when you've had a rest from your flight and got re-acquainted with Perth. Have a good flight! And having lived half-way up a mountain in Queensland, rife with deadly poisonous snakes, homicidal mosquitoes, huge huntsman and wolf spiders, killer paralysis ticks, poisonous cane toads, and cows wandering through our property, we're up for challenges!

jimchris09

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Love the journey to the grave bit! If you don't mind I've copied that and will use in future emails etc.

yrret

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

What a great story from a couple who have clearly done their homework up front, and looked at the advantages, and one assumes the dissadvantages of life in NC.

I hope the travelling goes well and you enjoy many years in NC, your post certainly indicates that you have the right atitude, no over inflated expectations, and tested the water via this site before comitting.

I am quite cynical, life in NC breeds it, but I sincerely hope it all works out well for you.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

Yeah, all the best Mo and Bry, from an old Perth/Freo boy now living in Saudi Arabia and spending as much time in Esentepe as possible. Even with the property scams, the incompetent builders, the criminal bankers and developers and the blood-sucking lawyers and estate agents, I reckon it's still a great place.

There are, in fact, some trustworthy lawyers and estate agents, some builders actually build decent homes, and pretty soon, one hopes, there will be a regular electricity supply. It should even stop raining and warm up in a bit.

Good luck.

hattikins

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

All the best Mo and Bry, you have the right attitude and you know that nowhere is perfect but accept that as part of the adventure. I hope the move goes well and if you're half as happy in TRNC as we are then you'll be right.

mozgor

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

The very best of everything with the move, we're moving over in November this year too

MoBry

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 05:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks for the best wishes, folks, am getting quite excited now the Big Move is upon us.

@ jimchris09 - feel free to use the quote as we pinched it from Hunter S Thompson!

At present we are sitting here with torrential rain (more and more forecast) and floods all over the place. We left Western Australia in drought, northern NSW in floods, Victoria in huge bushfires, three floods and heavy rains since we're lived on the mid-NSW coast, so who knows what weather we'll bequeath to Cyprus?

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

Where in North Cyprus have you rented. Suggest you keep renting and not buy (personal opinion only). Welcome to the Forum and look forward to seeing you in TRNC soon.

MoBry

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

We're over Famagusta way, Carrie. I guess we'll make up our mind about buying when we are settled and had a chance to have a look around. Yes, we'll look forward to putting a face to all the names we've seen on the post in the past year or so.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

I lived in Mackay. NQ. for a while, after shifting from NZ. So, we've got NQ and 'N' gauge in common - reckon that should be worth a coupla three yarns!

MoBry

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Sheesh, bit hot and humid, wasn't it, in FNQ? We lived in S-E Qld for 8 years and towards the end the heat and humidity got to be a killer. We lived on the flats and the summer storms used to bump up over the Border Ranges, storm along the valley floor and belt the hell out of Boonah. Last summer we were there, a really heavy-duty storm flattened seven houses on the valley floor, unroofed the house behind us (the roof flew over our roof and landed in the park opposite) and blew up all the electrics in our home - lost TV, dvd, computer, the lot. Luckily I'ld just unplugged the air conditioners so we were able to keep cool in the heat and humidity. On Boxing Day we got to 43C, 93% humidity, and then the thermometer blew up! At least you weren't in Mackay for that huge cyclone that hit last year! Yes, we'll be sure to catch up, look forward to it.

ranger5

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

MoBry, think you are going to love it here. (Warts and all)!!

MoBry

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 07:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

yes, ranger5, we've lived in some fairly isolated places in Australia, on tankwater, no rubbish collection, sceptic tanks, not to mention close encounters of the snake kind, so I think we've been toughened up by our experiences!!!

pammick

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Wishing you the very best of luck, you have chosen the 'quieter' side of TRNC, so meeting new people may not be as easy as being in the Girne area, but the fact that you are renting means you can move easily if you want to.You sound like very positive, outgoing people with the right attitude to life, so I reckon you will be fine. I hope your journey goes well and I am sure you will love it here just as much as we do. We have had our share of problems but that doesn't make us want to go back to the UK.

For us, the cup is always half full - not half empty!!

All the very best to you.

Pam

MoBry

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks, Pam, we haven't travelled overseas for a few years and I think we're both looking forward to getting out and about a bit.. We work on the basis that for me the cup is always half full while Bryan is a bit less sure, hedges his bets, you might say, but somehow we muddle through. When we're moving, I do all the paperwork, on-line bookings and the bureaucratic stuff, while he does the packing as he's an ace packer. He reckons I'd still be packing a fortnight after we moved out and, if I was very truthful, I'd have to agree. We are wondering if we can actually get out of Bowraville as the floods and rain are so bad. We're supposed to get our hire car tomorrow so the buyer of our Subaru can pick it up but don't know if the village will be flooded in, we don't know if the people who've bought our furniture will be able to get here to pick it up on Sunday, and we are wondering if our removalists will be able to get here to pick up our gear. Fingers crossed!

MoBry

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

And thanks for so many positive and encouraging comments, it's been very heartening and cheered us up about the big move. Thanks, folks, hope to catch up with you when we reach North Cyprus towards the end of February. Take care, all of you, and best wishes.

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

good luck with the move and welcome to the trnc

justwishing

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

MoBry

I really love your attiitude and will also use your adapted quote - for me sums it all up beautifully......

Good luck with your move and enjoy the journey and your new life in TRNC.

Marion

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

You two are going to be kindred souls. You are a double of me, although i am not sure I want to have the challenge of you in the hair department - perhaps best you are at Famagusta! Brian sounds like my alan. but I can give you all the warnings personally instead of here when we meet up. But why did you choose famagusta area? there are a few brits around iskele and up towards the karpaz but not so much going on. However, in many ways it is nicer than the Kyrenia side. But where in Famagusta will you be. I always like an excuse to come over that way, and can at least introduce you to a couple of people. Lots of the folks I know have moved on, but there are still a few left.

Anyway, here's to The Dome Coffee Bar, Mount lawley in a couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MoBry

Message Posted:
27/01/2012 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

@cyprusairsoft & @justwishing - thanks for the good wishes. @Marion - I'll tell you all the details when I see you, but basically we've lived in country areas for quite a while now and we quite like the quieter lifestyle. Plus we are so used to travelling distances, that popping over to Kyrenia will seem like a breeze to us. So you'll see us in the Big Smoke (ha-ha) quite often!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.