North Cyprus Tourist Board - Poss General Strike soon, incl MOBILE PHONE,does anyone know abt this?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Poss General Strike soon, incl MOBILE PHONE,does anyone know abt this?

Poss General Strike soon, incl MOBILE PHONE,does anyone know abt this?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

findhaven

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

I heard today that as well as the Elec strike there is likely to be a GENERAL strike soon where teachers and mobile phone companies may cut services. This could leave us without mobile phone networks. Does anyone know anything about this?

barbieb

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

I fought the mobile phone networks were public sector, this being the case then I cannot see them joining a general strike, however I could be wrong, lets hope I am not!

canavar

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

I think you mean that the mobile phone networks are 'Private Sector', and ther's no chance of them going on strike as they'd just be sacked and replaced.

However there may be some infrastructure which comes under government control, and hence public sector employees

Cazleo

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

I've heard all public sector workers are due to go on strike on Monday.

Mobile phone providers are private sector!

melbrandy

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 18:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Yep, most of the many public sector union leaders were on radio shows today. They were aiming for a general strike on monday, subject to member consultation etc.

zcacmxi

Message Posted:
24/01/2012 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

The landlines are public sector.

I think the private sector gsm operators use the landlines to link base stations, connect back to Turkey, etc.

So if the public sector landline phones are not working, then at the very least you may not be able to call landlines? Maybe using them as walky talkies to call mobile to mobile will still work? Unsure if calling from a mobile in Girne to a mobile in Magosa goes over landline or if it is all wireless?

How ridiculous though? Surely there are public safety issues, people still need to be able to call police, ambulances, etc?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.