North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus Dipkarpaz - No Electricity at all for 3 1/2 days
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus Dipkarpaz - No Electricity at all for 3 1/2 days

North Cyprus Dipkarpaz - No Electricity at all for 3 1/2 days

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Got connected this morning, then we had a big storm and with thunder and lightning right overhead that tripped our ACD switch and I did not want to use any electrical equipment until it was over.

We've been without electricity for 3 1/2 days. We just heard there was a strike and then we were cut off. We had no idea why and how long it would be. Lots of rumours and speculations but nothing definite.

Our mobiles were flat and I have no idea what's been going on in North Cyprus, the world, my family, my friends.

Apparently there was some damage to the electric installation somewhere and our part of the village had no power at all. Nearly 200 people including old and vulnerable people were affected by this but KibTek did not bother to come out until yesterday. I believe in people’s right to strike, but when there is genuine hard ship, they should do something. I am sure KibTek knew about this, as this is an ongoing problem, but whatever needs to be repaired is not done properly.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Cont'd

My Turkish friends and neighbours had quite a tough time. The farm opposite us had just taken their generator to be repaired and this meant, she had to milk 8 cows by hand, with just a couple of gas lamps to light the way, at 5 in the morning and again at 2 in the afternoon and all that in the rain!!!

Our next door neighbour has a daughter on a life support machine and they were so scared that their generator would fail.

There are many elderly people nearby, some Greek Cypriots, some Turkish. Fortunately this is a very friendly village and everybody helps people in need.

My close friend’s Down’s syndrome son was so disturbed by it all, he could not settle and they had to comfort him all the time.

We have not bothered buying a generator as being off for 24 hours or so has not been a problem to us up till now, maybe we have to reconsider this.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Cont'd

Now have to go and empty the freezer and see what can be rescued and what to throw away. Threw away everything in the fridge this morning.

Still have no idea what's going on, is the strike finished or what??

Sent all this to Cyprus today. If we have had this problem, then I'm sure the are other villages with people in need. Hope the all have such nice neighbours as we have.

Gillsboy

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Bless you, and all your neighbours, maybe if the UN/World took heed in what you have written, then maybe the world would be a much better place to live. We don't have a lot but if you or you friends need anything please ask. God Speed & much love

Mark xxxxx

magicart

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Horrible experience for you all and we are so pleased to see there was no loss of life.

Kibtek should hang their head in shame.

Bless you all.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks Mark for your thoughts. Monday was quite a nice day and we managed to go to Yenierenköy and bought another gas light and our lovely Turkish woodburner(soba) is keeping us nice and warm and we have lots of books to read. It's the people who have to work in these conditions that have the real problems.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
25/01/2012 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Dipkarpaz today, we had internet and electricity, which was great, but definitely more rain than needed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25193786@N02/sets/72157629028949461/

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
26/01/2012 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

seems strike is over now dippersgirl

dont think kibtec workers gave a toss about anyone

i cant have any sympathy as they have messed me about for over 3 years

i think you and the community worked very well to help each other well done

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.