North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dogs & Goats do not mix
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dogs & Goats do not mix

Dogs & Goats do not mix

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 49 in Discussion

This is a warning for all dog owners, especially any are that are running loose or have not come home recently.

The owner of goats around Karsiyaka has lost 2 goats this week to dogs, in one case it was a group of four dogs and one was clearly identified as being owned by a Non Cypriot. Plus another dog a friend who saw this horrendous attack knows where it belongs. They will not warn the owners so if it may be your dog you will loose it.

The goats are heavily in kid and this is the man's livelyhood. I believe he may already have "dealt with" one dog but he is now walking or driving around the mountain with a shotgun.

No excuses, keep your pet fastened in. There will be no excuses, any dog seen around the area that the goats are grazing WILL BE SHOT

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 49 in Discussion

Sheep are also easily chased to death... Sheep are prone to heart failure if chased by dogs for a prolonged period... That's why it's called "sheep worring" in the UK... They don't even have to try to kill the animals, dogs chase other animals for the fun of it sometimes...

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 49 in Discussion

It is a shame that in UK the police now arrest the farmer if he does not give the dog and owner due warning before shooting. Lunatics etc!!!!!!!

Unfortunatley the goat attcked by 4 dogs was not worried to death. These dogs now have a taste of blood, may be children next.

Exaggerating - no. Angry - certainly, saw too much of this sort of thing in my time working on and around farms. Hoping to make those idiots who let their dogs loose know exactly waht happens.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 49 in Discussion

This is what prompts livestock owners to put poison down. I know that TC's/T's let their dogs roam but I also know of a lot of Expats that do. Just be aware of the situation.

AJ

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 49 in Discussion

hello

umm I have the same issue with my two donkeys - I got a call the other day from a neighbour to tell me there were 3 dogs that had jumped a high gate into the field and were chasing them all over the place - I went down and my friend had already thankfully got in the field and scared them off - we actually found the dogs down the road, and they were very playful and one even had a KAR red tag in its ear - never seen them before and never seen them since. Very worrying though and I am now scared about my animals being injured through this kind of thing. A young foal down K'oglu was attacked by a pack of dogs and suffered nasty injuries to its hind quarters recently, poor thing was in a real state.

One more thing though that you can't seem to go to anybody about and get anything done, and if you find the owner, possibly English and not just locals, they probably don't care anyway.

petlovers

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 49 in Discussion

so if the goats are grazing in my garden does that mean he can shoot my dogs?also if the goats are around and outside of peoples homes thay should not have there guns in that area anyway,i agree if there on his land he should have the right to shoot them.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 49 in Discussion

It's a shame that due to the irresponsibility of owners these dogs are likely to suffer the ultimate sanction. I have come across a few expats who take in dogs then use the excuse that they are "free spirits" to just let the animals roam because they cannot be bothered to exercise them properly and then wonder why the dogs are poisoned and/or whacked on the head with a lump of wood. Whereabouts in Karsiyaka are these goats?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 49 in Discussion

This again raises the question of stray dogs and those that are neutred or spayed and then put back on the streets..a practise I think is ludicrous and employed by Kar. All strays should be rounded up and dealt with appropriately including those that belong to the brits if they can't be bothered to care for them properly!

Quarmby

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 49 in Discussion

I think we have been down this path before. Who do you get to deal with this appropriately?

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 16:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 49 in Discussion

Petlovers,

The right to graze animals on the common or in the wild... which is the area not in your garden but probably around it is very similar here as it would be in the UK...

Farmers are not expected to graze their animals solely on land they own either here or in most other countries...

In the UK common land carries rights of grazing passed down the centuries and it's enshrined in many by-laws. They are only doing here what they have done since biblical times...

If they get into your garden your boundary is not adequately protected. It's not easy as they can get over quite high walls even topped with iron railings.

I also realise it's very annoying when they get in and chew your plants to stumps but goats are only doing what comes naturally to them...

Killing them for this is not a measured response. The farmers are not rich beyond reason and the loss of one or two is a big dent in the family's ability to make ends meet.

frontalman

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 49 in Discussion

There is more than one goat herd around Karsiyaka. Would the original poster please be decent enough to supply more info. Who is the owner of the attacked animals, who is the suspected owner of one of the 'rogue' dogs? I'm sure the owner may be blissfully unaware of what the dog is up to and may wish to ensure it doesn't happen again. Well exercised dogs may still escape from the confines of the property. They can be clever little so-and-sos.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 49 in Discussion

Msg 9, you know what I think should be done and my views on the subject so there is no need for your inflammatory post!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 49 in Discussion

No, for personal reasons..

If you dog escapes and attacks sheep or goats even in UK it will be shot on sight. There are no second chances.

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 49 in Discussion

Why has nobody done a funny bit about Dog and Goat combinations..

A Doat - dog goat cross... a goat that snarls and barks at Turkish workmen

A Gog - goat dog cross.. a dog that has long floppy ears, the Devil's eyes and will eat anything but its shit is not so offensive...

littlenige

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 49 in Discussion

if I see a turk in my garden can i shoot him ?? he may be worrying my dog !!

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 49 in Discussion

Nige you can't even give him a funny look...

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 49 in Discussion

Nige you do make me chuckle at times :0

KickingK

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 49 in Discussion

I know that this leads slightly away from this thread.....................but something else that I have been warned of in the past, is that when it is the shooting season be wary if out walking. It made me think!

joandjelly

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 49 in Discussion

CIH the reason I asked where in Karsiyaka is that we walk our dog twice a day and he is let off the lead. I am concerned that the goatherd may put poison down so please can you give me an idea of where this attack occurred. If you don't want to be specific, please just let me know if it was anywhere near the sea.

Thanks.

Jo

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 49 in Discussion

joandjelly

Do you muzzle your dog when you take it out?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 20:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 49 in Discussion

Jo,

The answer is at this time of year you must keep your dog fully under control.

It is the same situation in UK at lambing time, a dog can easily run away, think it is having fun chasing a sheep or goat when it is actually causing acute distress which may in turn lead to premature termination and or death of the animal. Both of which cause major problems to the farmer.

If there are any doubts I am afraid you got to take the animal on a leash.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 49 in Discussion

No my dog doesn't have a muzzle and if I am alerted to the fact that poison has been used nearby then he stays on the lead. He is on the lead most of the time anyway, just let off in certain areas like right down by the sea. He does not chase sheep and has had plenty of experience with them as we have had them living right next door and going backwards and forwards two or three times a day ever since we have had him.

What I do find quite ironic is that our local shepherd had two puppies with him this year, following him everywhere, living with the sheep etc., but when lambing was over and the sheep moved on he just left the two puppies behind and they now run around in a pack with other loose dogs. So who knows, maybe it was these dogs that killed the goats because they were hungry.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 49 in Discussion

I cannot say on a public forum who or where but at least two of the dogs involved are know to belong to British people.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 49 in Discussion

Hi joanjelly

I would seriously recommend any dog that is allowed to run free or even if taken out on a lead is muzzled. If you need recommendations re the right type of muzzle to use then contact KAR. Please contact me by e-mail if you want anymore info.

Take care AJ

frontalman

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 49 in Discussion

Well if you can't say on a 'public board' then maybe you could attempt to contact the owner who may not frequent these boards. I don't see the need for secrecy, no-one is intentionally causing harm, are they?

I have had a dog poisoned and was told the likely culprit, though there was no proof. Shooting is much kinder, if he's a good shot.

The more development that takes place, the harder it will be to keep the old ways going, unfortunately. Grazing land is disappearing all too quickly.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 23:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 49 in Discussion

frontalman

I think it is unfortunate to see the decline in the village way of life. I know for a fact that here on the outskirts of Alsancak locals are not being allowed to keep large herds (sorry, don't know the collective noun for goats) of goats anymore due to the complaints from expats. I know goats are destructive but when you get to know the goat herders then they make sure that your garden does not get trampled and you also get to sample the delights of goats milk/cheese etc.

Unfortunately I have no respect for expats that come to this country and try to change the way of life to suit themselves.

AJ

britvic

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 49 in Discussion

We have a large herd of goats around our villa, we don't have plants yet (or any paths) and our pool is gated, but I was horrified to see the other residence screeming and hurling things at them, for drinking out of their pool! we all know (i think) that goats will eat the clothes off your back, but having a drink on their own land? We are their guest's are we not?

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/12/2008 23:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 49 in Discussion

msg 25,

You are typical of those that destroy the countryside in UK and now here.

Development of countryside is no excuse for not controlling your so called pets. The farmers here are getting increasingly angry with your sort of attitude, they no longer have land to graze the animals, there water supplies have gone due to incomers building here. So for you to be so patronising about farmland leads me to the conclusion that you are the worst type of person to live here in the countryside.

Last thing, if you allow a large dog to run free in the countryside at one of the most imporatnt times of year for farmers, yes you are intentionally causing harm.

If you do not like it go back to suburbia in UK this life is not for you!

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 07:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 49 in Discussion

Not a story about the goats but more on the subject of Animal Rescue Shelters.

A common practice for animal shelters here (US) , once a dog is rescued or picked up , it even be from an abusive owner, they are treated, all shots given wormed, de-liced nuetered and before they go up for adoption they are tried and tested to make sure they are safe to be let out in public specially where there are children involved.

The most important test they do is to determine if the dog is a biter, if it turns out that it is, then it is humanely euthanized, even after all the expense they went through, it breaks their hearts when this test has to be performed it is the deciding factor of the fate of the animal. They hate to do this test , but it has to be done.

They do not want the risk of letting a dog out that could possibly bite or attack.

I know in Cyprus they are not allowed to put dogs to sleep.

In the late 60's i remember the Belediye driving around shooting strays. so, what has chan

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 07:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 49 in Discussion

cont.

So what has changed, did they suddenly get all moral?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 07:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 49 in Discussion

is there a law that says they can not humanely euthanize ?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 49 in Discussion

This is a recurring problem with posters on this subject, I strongly believe euthanasia is the kindest solution to this problem and please all you liberal dogooders, do not throw silly questions at me, Kar do euthanise so please don't say they don't..they just need to do more..of course if that were to happen, the silly liberal brit brigade would be up in arms and Kar would suffer from lack of donations..and we can't have that now can we ... how will the ppl running it survive!!!

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 49 in Discussion

deecyprus,

I think you may be surprised at what would happen with donations. Certainly everyone we talk to says the same thing as yourself.

There are so many institutionised animals there that could not be re homed. Whis is the more cruel, keeping an animal in that environment or helping them to a better place.

There are ethical views that it is wrong to kill any other sentient being, a view I share but my mind is really torn over the issue.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 49 in Discussion

Where are the moderators.

I believe msg 29 contains libelous remarks and are definitly against the rules of this forum.

I therefore request the immediate removal of comments

littlenige

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 49 in Discussion

" Unfortunately I have no respect for expats that come to this country and try to change the way of life to suit themselves. "

What a shame you and people like you do not have this attitude in the uk !!

Turbo

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 49 in Discussion

Back to my earlier posting, I didn't want to go too deep but here goes..

In 1971, I saw Belediye employees, driving around in small trucks, shooting any dog without a collar , if the owner came out to contest what was going on, if they did not produce a dog licence the animal was still shot.

Puppies , thats another story i will keep the gory details from you . My dog had just had several gorgeous pups little balls of fluff. I offered to pay them, or go in the next day to get the license, it didnt work.. It was not a pretty sight..,

Does anyone know for a fact that they no longer can or do euthanize? reason?

or have they moved on with the times and think it barbaric to do now what they did then?

I may raise a few eyebrows, but I would rather see them humanely put to sleep instead of watching a bunch of skin and bones rummaging for a bite to eat to try and feed its pups or get hit by a car or worse still , a slow poisoned death.

Does KAR have any pull with the gvrnmt?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 09:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 49 in Discussion

littlenige

'What a shame you and people like you do not have this attitude in the uk !!'

Thats because I am not in the UK and havent been for years and I do not regard it as my home country.

Hope that clears that one up.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 49 in Discussion

Turbo

'Does KAR have any pull with the gvrnmt?'

Does anyone have any pull with the government?

frontalman

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 49 in Discussion

Re message 36

Libellous? What are you talking about? You get nasty with me in the previous post, having decided that you know what type of person I am, based on a misconception. I then ask the question as to whether your comments were made while sober, what's wrong with that?

I'm still waiting for an apology, I am an animal lover, I don't discriminate. Seems some people like to dish it out, but become super-sensitive when called to book!

frontalman

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 49 in Discussion

"Leads me to the conclusion that you are the worst type of person to live here in the countryside."

I suggest that whatever skewed reasoning you used to come to this 'conclusion' needs looking at urgently, old chap!

Tiggy

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 49 in Discussion

As usual....it has turned in to a "Dog fight"

phylray

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 20:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 49 in Discussion

Once a dog tastes blood of goats, sheep etc. it will go on killing.

They have been known to chase cows even & my aunt lost a calf

from a heavily pregnant cow due to dog chasing - no compensation

for her, and she could not afford to lose it either. That is why strays

are seldom tolerated, and owners must see that their dogs are kept

under control. Not too much to ask is it?

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 49 in Discussion

Well you'd have thought, but then you get the love me love my dog brigade who think their dog is just fine no matter what harm it does...

I love dogs, don't have one as the neighbours have one and it might cause a problem with barking... just their way of talking I know but not what anyone wants night in night out...

If I did have one I think it would be only right to make sure my pet did not impact the livelihood of a hard working shepherd/goatherd...

My local goat and sheep herder is a lovely smiley character who never fails to give a cheery welcome and I would not wish to be the cause of his animals being attacked or chased... or to spoil our good relations.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 49 in Discussion

Grouch

I concur.

PtePike

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 49 in Discussion

Groucho: "...then you get the love me love my dog brigade..."

Most of this sickening stuff originates from Brazil, apparently.

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 49 in Discussion

Oh you've seen that stuff have you.... you naughty boy. A good read is what you need... suggest Treasure Island... ripping yarn.

PtePike

Message Posted:
14/12/2008 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 49 in Discussion

Nah, can't unstick the damn pages...

Groucho

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 07:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 49 in Discussion

Now that is naughty, which character got you so worked up... Ben Gunn?

fire starter

Message Posted:
15/12/2008 09:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 49 in Discussion

last year a good friend of ours lost 4 lambs to stray hunting dogs.

you cannot blame the dogs as they were just hungry.

we sent pics of this carnage to cyprus today, and reported it to the police.

nothing was done, it was just swept under the carpet as usual.

my personal view is that, when out dogs should always be kept on a lead.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.