North Cyprus Tourist Board - RE-Registration of dogs in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > RE-Registration of dogs in TRNC

RE-Registration of dogs in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

padisha

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 35 in Discussion

İ am confused about what İ have read recently. My dogs have been registered in Girne for several years and are fully up to date with jabs, worming etc, as recorded in their pet books from Pet Cross. İn the past we have gone to the place near the Wed market to re-register (the lady upstairs). İs there a new hoop that we have to jump through this year? First time registered our neutered male dog, the cost was 50 kurus! What is it now and what do we have to now that is different? Have İ missed something recently? Tried KAR website but it was not entirely clear. All help appreciated.

Karmels

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 35 in Discussion

HI we re registered our dog yesterday in Girne, you have to register every year and they issue a new number.

It costs 12 TL.

Lester

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 35 in Discussion

1: Go to Government Veterinary Dept opposite the state hospital in Girne with your pets' record of health checks. A green card and worming tablets will be issued for 10tl per animal.

2. Take Green Card to office by the bus station, no longer upstairs but on the corner of the ground floor, door at the front. They will issue a receipt and a numbered metal disc. The charge per dog should be 12tl if they have been neutered, but be careful. We have just been ripped off and they charged us 36tl, the un-neutered cost.

padisha

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 35 in Discussion

Thank you for replies. So in reality the cost is now 22TL for each male, neutered dog.

Leads to me to a few questions -----

Will these now take the place of the worming tablets that we regularly buy for our dogs? (Every month)

How often will these 'govt tablets' have to be paid for?

How long do these tablets protect our dogs for? Are subsequent doses available from our vets? How often do they have to be treated for this?

Why don't our current worming tablets protect them from this whatever it is?

We are all for protecting our animals, and will pay whatever is required, but having to go through yet another govt department smacks to me of another stealth tax. Wonder how much it will cost next year?

Anyone got any further information?

spartan

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 35 in Discussion

We registered our dog last week at the place near we'd market. We only went there and they issued the disc with no problems, cost 12L. We were told it is only if registering a new dog you need to go to the vetanary dept.

padisha

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 35 in Discussion

Thank you for replies. So in reality the cost is now 22TL for each male, neutered dog.

Leads to me to a few questions -----

Will these now take the place of the worming tablets that we regularly buy for our dogs? (Every month)

How often will these 'govt tablets' have to be paid for?

How long do these tablets protect our dogs for? Are subsequent doses available from our vets? How often do they have to be treated for this?

Why don't our current worming tablets protect them from this whatever it is?

We are all for protecting our animals, and will pay whatever is required, but having to go through yet another govt department smacks to me of another stealth tax. Wonder how much it will cost next year?

Anyone got any further information?

padisha

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 35 in Discussion

Thank you very much Spartan. Would have been disappointed if it applied to us, but nothing surprises us these days.

Still don't understand how this new policy will be enforced for those owners who can't be bothered to register. Also what penalties are on offer, or is it only the dogs who will pay with their lives?

delikomsu

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 35 in Discussion

We have been registering our dogs here this way for years, green card then Council with two payments. This is not new. Maybe Famagusta are more efficient!!!!!!????

The tablets you are given are just the ordinary de-wormer, same as vet provides. This is so they can say they have treated your dog for Echinococus and stamp your green card. You do have to de-worm your pets every 3 months which you need to do yourself or take to vet, the Govt are only giving you a one off dose.

As for the rest of the dog abusing population who call themselves hunters and throw out their lovely dogs on the side of the road here in Kaplica every week, they won't be registering their dogs/de-worming or even feeding them.

I like to think that those of us who do register our dogs show that we care and maybe one day these morons will be educated in animal welfare.

Apologies in advance to the one hunter who looks after his dogs.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 35 in Discussion

I too was confused by the very small notice in Cyprus Today, so I checked KAR website as it suggested and found nothing! Contacted KAR and they said it was under "Pets to and from Cyprus" but I cant see it there either!

They say this is new legislation. You should first visit the Veterinary Dept. with dogs documents to get a Green Card and then take the Card to Local Authority (location not given) for a registration doc. and identity tag. 12 TL each. Also 35 TL for unneutered bitches.

Apart from the fact that with such short notice (I have queried this with KAR but no reply) I cant deal with this with only two working days ahead, I am now faced with finding 24 TL for two dogs who have already been wormed and registered plus 47 TL for a bitch who, on Vet's advice cant be neutered yet bcause she hasnt come into season - and ona fixed income I just cant afford it. Serves me right for being stupidly soft hearted and taking on needy animals?!!!!!!!!!!

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 35 in Discussion

I too was confused by the very small notice in Cyprus Today, so I checked KAR website as it suggested and found nothing! Contacted KAR and they said it was under "Pets to and from Cyprus" but I cant see it there either!

They say this is new legislation. You should first visit the Veterinary Dept. with dogs documents to get a Green Card and then take the Card to Local Authority (location not given) for a registration doc. and identity tag. 12 TL each. Also 35 TL for unneutered bitches.

Apart from the fact that with such short notice (I have queried this with KAR but no reply) I cant deal with this with only two working days ahead, I am now faced with finding 24 TL for two dogs who have already been wormed and registered plus 47 TL for a bitch who, on Vet's advice cant be neutered yet bcause she hasnt come into season - and ona fixed income I just cant afford it. Serves me right for being stupidly soft hearted and taking on needy animals?!!!!!!!!!!

blade

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 35 in Discussion

Bizzi, take your vet cards with you and show them your dogs have already been wormed. Maybe it will save you some money if they are feeling kind?

Mine have green books, never registered / taggged them , they are microchipped, when i am asked to go, i just take my books and vet books give them my vets name and they let me go. They know my dogs are wormed every three months so they leave me alone.

If you can show the wormer in the vet books then they may let you pay less? After all you have done it!

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 35 in Discussion

KAR say they are "taking it upon themselves" to make the public aware of the laws. I have (not yet) had a reply to my query as to why they left it so late.

They also say the are campaigning to the Government to enforce registration "according to their laws"

They claim the this will enable "genuine strays" to be identified as opposed to dogs "allowed to roam".

I am all for enacting sensible legislation for dog registration and enforcing it. However this is not sensible legislation - it will only serve to further deter those who do not, and have no intention of registering "their" dogs, punish resposible owners for being responsible and deter possible new adoptions by putting people off taking yet animals when they are required to pay (in some cases twice)

for unnecessary procedures under incomprehensible regulations.

many people will (like myself) find that this is the last straw in increasingly stressful and expensive dog care and be unable to keep existing pets.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 35 in Discussion

It will also deter people from feeding strays in case they are deemed to "own" them. OK that is not ideal anyway, but surely better than letting them starve to death.

Even the Vets are confused!!! Mine said microchipping was also required - at least KAR have confirmed that is not so.

And as it has been pointed out - the once a year worming does not even protect against the disease - people are not being advised that it has to be done quarterly. I understood (though I may be wrong or outdated in my information) that the worming medication was paid for out of EU funds , island wide.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 35 in Discussion

I seems to me that the time is coming when responsible dog owners need support, representation and advice.

KAR cant - or wont - do it. Lets not argue about the rights and wrongs of that - the fact is they dont.

Anyone interested in forming a mutual support group (NOT a charity)?

The ultimate sufferers of the current situation will be the animals as fewer and fewer people will be able to take on animals or even cope with the ones they have.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 35 in Discussion

Blade Message 11

So I depend on someone having got out of bed on the right side!

I dont have a current Vet's book - I have been waiting over a year for a new ones as the original are full - as welll as confused and scruffy.

All I have is a school excercise book in which records when I have wormed the dogs and treated them for parasites and hopefully will be recorded by the Vet when their next injections come due this year. I worm them myself as it is not only cheaper but less stressful for both me and the dogs. The old books of course show their neutering and I have certificates showing they have been registered annually - in July for -13 and 7 years.

I don have any records for the new puppy . Dont tell me I am stupid, I have been kicking myself hard enough - but when I took her on I was told she was registered and injected but then claimed the documents were lost. The VET who checked and injected her promised to bring the paperwork next time - and so far hasnt

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 35 in Discussion

Meantime I have to find 45 TL for registering her for a year as an unneutered bitch- although I have already arranged for her to be neutered as soon as she comes into season - which should be very soon.

blade

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 35 in Discussion

Bizzi,

Why not try getting your vet to confirm in writing that your female is booked in for being spayed? Maybe that would be enough. or just wait til she is done, then go and register her? as long as she is not in the street wandering then how will they even know you have her?

I live under Dikmen so maybe they are just easier, they know i am probably one of the only people who do actually care for their dogs.

As for tags, what rubbish ,we are in 2012 in the real world people microchip their dogs. They can't argue the readers are expensive as i brought some back from the UK for a couple of Lefkosa vets. A dog tag could fall off, or a collar break a microchip is the way to go.

Its like with the wormers, the ones we get the dose depends on the size/ weight of the dog, one is not enough for all dogs so to speak. I wonder if they take this into account? and once a year is defo not enough

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
28/01/2012 23:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 35 in Discussion

Yes Blade , that is probably what I will do - wait till she is spayed. My dogs are kept in enclosed garden with double gates and definitely not allowed to stray - but people are only human, accidents can happen etc., and gates left open. The "baby" is related to Houdini - she is always breaking or slipping her collar.

Yes tags can come off and collars (or be taken off if the dog is stolen) - but I think the idea is something the police can see at a glance. Microchips need taking the dog to someone who has a reader.

My oldest dog had to have the chip removed because it migrated and caused a very nasty sore and an operation dangerous at her age.

I read that in France they tatoo the inside of the dog's ear - seems sensible. Maybe out of date - it was "A Year in Provence" I got that from!

whatever I decide to do about mydogs,, it does not change the fact that there is a desperate need for responsible owners to be encouraged , not , per the op,"put through hoops"

padisha

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 35 in Discussion

Re-registered both of our dogs on Monday by Girne Weds market..They have been registered for the past 6 years. İnstead of the usual lady, a man was on duty. He must have been new because it took him nearly half an hour to do the simple paperwork!. However, no problems, charged 12 TL per dog, got receipt and two new disks for their collars.

roblyn

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 35 in Discussion

Called at the vetinary dept opposite Girne hospital today. Took all my dogs paperwork, vets books details of inoculations,worming etc.

All her details and mine were entered in a large ledger.

For the fee of 10tl I was given a green card and 4 worming tablets. I explained that she has been wormed quite recently so told to give her the tabs when she was next due for worming

Advised to take the green card to Esentepe Belediyesi to be registered there and get her disc.

Missed my slot today as the belediyesi is only open till midday. Will go tomorrow and see what transpires.

Will post result.

When I enquired last year about registration in Esentepe I was told not necessary

Amber

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 16:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 35 in Discussion

Has anybody managed to re register their dogs with the Lapta Belediyesi recently. I have been there twice and they just wont help. I showed them my last registration which expires end of December 2011. They said no problem come back March maybe May !!

muadib

Message Posted:
01/02/2012 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 35 in Discussion

Lapta seem to do the registrations May or June,we've done ours then for the last two years

davpat

Message Posted:
02/02/2012 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 35 in Discussion

BizziLizzi,

Our vets in the UK spayed our Labrador at 12 weeks,well before she had her first season,different vets have different views or ideals,either way she is now 18 months,and a real handfull,its really your decision and NOT the vets.

David

roblyn

Message Posted:
02/02/2012 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 35 in Discussion

Have posted my experience of registering my dog at the Esentepe Belediysei, on Hamish's thread

suzi1951

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 35 in Discussion

Went to Lapta Beledyesi this morning and registered no bother, 12tl - have to be there before 9.30 to see the right prople and it is the door underneath the steps. Hpowever, the guy then realised the date in the green card was last year's and have been told to go to vet in Girnes and get card stamped there. Asked the question and yes, this has to be done every year too. Hey ho! At least my dog is legally here for another year.

Tango1

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 35 in Discussion

Anyone know what the procedure is in Alsancak these days. Unfortunately missed the end of January deadline re going to Vet Department in Girne first.

Amber

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 35 in Discussion

Thanks Suzi1951

I think it does depend who you see in that office. That is were I went and they just did not want to help.

Poodledog

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 35 in Discussion

Were fine at Lapta yesterday registering my two dogs - however see my other comments on another thread regarding same issue!

roblyn

Message Posted:
03/02/2012 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 35 in Discussion

Tango I believe you can still go to the government vetinary office,opp Girne state hospital.

I went on Feb 1st. I'm sure they'll be quite happy to take your 10tl from you, issue you with a green card and 4 worming tablets.

I was told to take my green card to Esentepe Belediysei, collect my registration no and disc

That was where I had a problem.

Chappie looked completely mystified when I presented him with my green card. Explained I had come to register my dog.

Replied "We're not registering dogs at the moment" I asked if they might possibly be planning to register dogs in the near future.

Replied "Yes, maybe,soon"

Took my name and tel no,said he would call me when registering begins.

Just a scrap of paper,which I suspect could end up as a coaster for someones coffee cup.

I won't hold my breath.

At least she's semi registered. All her details and mine were entered into a large ledger at the Girne vetinary dept.

JaneG

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 35 in Discussion

I live in Karsiyaka and for the past 2 years I have registered my dog up the road from the office near the square in April. Employees from the Vet Dept set up a table & chairs at the roadside for the morning. I was given the green card, worm tablets and licence - no need to go elsewhere. There is a list printed in the Cyprus Today listing all venues and dates for Lapta/Karsiyaka over a 2 week period. I recently called in at the Karsiyaka office to try and clarify the matter and I was told it would be the same again - no change. Hope this helps.

Tango1

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 35 in Discussion

Alasancak appear to be (as usual) the greedy office. They say I must first go to Government office in Girne, get my green card and tablet and pay 12tl per dog. Then back to the Alsancak office where they say I will be charged anything from 15tl to 45tl, depending on Male or Female and whether spayed/neautered. but then Alsancak always have been and probably always will be the greediest Municipality in the island. I went to Girne office yesterday but missed them by 5 minutes. They are open from 8am until 3pm. I have 4 dogs and it gets a bit expensive to say the least.

Glorybee

Message Posted:
04/02/2012 18:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 35 in Discussion

We must be doing something very wrong!!! We have two beautiful rescue dogs. They are well known to our local vet; they have their injections, wormers etc. They have a tag with their name and my mobile phone number in case of straying. We have been to our local Mukhtar's office to see what we should do, having read a small article in Cyprus Today. We were told to go to the Mukhtar's office near the Wednesday Market, which we did, but the young man there appeared to know nothing about it. We came away very puzzled!!

Tango1

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 35 in Discussion

Msg. 32, like everyone else you have found the system differs from day to day and where you live. I still think it's a good idea to insist on your dogs being registered because if the chips were ever down and your local Belly started a cull (and they do every few years or so) then we foregnrs would not have a leg to stand on if our dogs were not registered. Needless to say, most local totally ignore the order to register dogs i.e. a local man with 7 dogs further up the road from us and a local woman with 14 dogs further down the road. One law for them and one for us it would appear.

roblyn

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 35 in Discussion

Oh dear,we try to do the right thing that we're told the law requires.

Maybe that's where we're going wrong,trying to keep on the right side of the law,to protect ourselves and our animals.

What can you say. We are in N. Cyprus!!!

spangles

Message Posted:
05/02/2012 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 35 in Discussion

Tango1- mess 33. Girne veterinary dept. for male castrated dog 10tl

Alsancak belediyesi - ditto - 12tl.

Sorry I only know the fees for the above.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.